Internet Sharing with AT&T / T-Mobile with 1520.3 and Lumia Cyan?

kki75

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
For those of us that had to use the Spanish/Spain keyboard install workaround to get Internet Connection Sharing working with AT&T or T-Mobile on a unlocked Latin America 1520.3 (rm-938) with WP 8.0 Lumia Black, my questions are:

Does Internet Sharing still work properly after WP 8.1 Cyan update?
How about after hard resetting the phone (which erases its contents) after Cyan update completes?

Is it possible to roll back to WP 8.0 now since WP 8.1 Cyan is now available?
And is installing the Spanish/Spain keyboard still possible (since that's also done with "phone update") with WP 8.0 now that 8.1 is released?

Thx.

Last edited:

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I am on T-Mobile, and I had installed the 8.1 update on my 1520.3 with the Developer Preview app after using the Spanish keyboard trick to get internet sharing enabled. However, I later hard reset my phone and I lost internet sharing. Yesterday, I used the Nokia Recovery Tool to roll back my phone to 8.0. I then did the Spanish keyboard trick again, and verified that internet sharing worked. Finally I updated to 8.1 with Cyan and I can verify that internet sharing still works, though I do not know if it will still work after a hard reset.

TechoGeek

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately it no longer works with AT&T. I went completely back to 8.0 after the update to see if it would work which it did. Once I did the update back to 8.1 it stopped working again.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
On mine is not working too. My plan with ATT allows internet sharing but in their system they have iPhone IMEI and it seems that is what is messing it up. I do not like this, because ATT forcing me to use their phones. Even if i use ATT branded android phone the internet sharing would not work because i have iPhone setup on my line. I've tried this with ATT branded LG G Flex. I wonder if i had LTE android IMEI in their system would then the internet sharing work, or even if i could swap LTE capable ATT branded phones then.

It is very upsetting when i have a plan that allows internet sharing and i can't get it to work on my RM-938.

bassoprofundo

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
On mine is not working too. My plan with ATT allows internet sharing but in their system they have iPhone IMEI and it seems that is what is messing it up. I do not like this, because ATT forcing me to use their phones. Even if i use ATT branded android phone the internet sharing would not work because i have iPhone setup on my line. I've tried this with ATT branded LG G Flex. I wonder if i had LTE android IMEI in their system would then the internet sharing work, or even if i could swap LTE capable ATT branded phones then.

It is very upsetting when i have a plan that allows internet sharing and i can't get it to work on my RM-938.

Ouch... I was wondering if this was the case for someone on a legit tethering plan (vs unlimited or old smaller individual plans). Looks like I'll have to stick with my AT&T model after all. Although, having said that, it might work because I have an actual AT&T 1520 on my plan now provided that nothing ever changes the registered IMEI.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Ouch... I was wondering if this was the case for someone on a legit tethering plan (vs unlimited or old smaller individual plans). Looks like I'll have to stick with my AT&T model after all. Although, having said that, it might work because I have an actual AT&T 1520 on my plan now provided that nothing ever changes the registered IMEI.
I've no idea how ATT checks if one has valid plan/setup for internet sharing. At one point of time i had android LTE plan setup on my line and at that time i had like three-four LTE capable ATT branded phones laying around. For the life of me i do not remember if i could easily put the sim card in any of those phones (they were all bone stock never modded androids) i had laying around and get internet sharing working on all those androids. It is kind of foggy, and i think that i could not get internet sharing working on all those androids besides the one the line was setup with (the IMEI of the phone in their system).

Anyway, ATT suck donkey balls because of this.

bassoprofundo

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I've no idea how ATT checks if one has valid plan/setup for internet sharing. At one point of time i had android LTE plan setup on my line and at that time i had like three-four LTE capable ATT branded phones laying around. For the life of me i do not remember if i could easily put the sim card in any of those phones (they were all bone stock never modded androids) i had laying around and get internet sharing working on all those androids. It is kind of foggy, and i think that i could not get internet sharing working on all those androids besides the one the line was setup with (the IMEI of the phone in their system).

Anyway, ATT suck donkey balls because of this.

It's a combination of how AT&T checks on the backend and how Microsoft checks from the phone side. Have you tried calling AT&T and giving them the imei of a non-iPhone LTE device? I do know that some relatively recent changes in the AT&T backend tie your available services much more tightly to the phone capabilities as checked by the IMEI.

bassoprofundo

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
If what I recommended above doesn't work, PM me your details (name and wireless #), and I'll submit a service escalation on your behalf and see if I can't get someone to take a closer look. With the push towards off-contract devices/discounts/etc., I see a problem coming when you aren't allowed to bring your own capable device and have it work due to some artificial constraint.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
It's a combination of how AT&T checks on the backend and how Microsoft checks from the phone side. Have you tried calling AT&T and giving them the imei of a non-iPhone LTE device? I do know that some relatively recent changes in the AT&T backend tie your available services much more tightly to the phone capabilities as checked by the IMEI.
Currently i do not posses ATT branded LTE device. If i provide ATT my RM-938 IMEI they will recognize that is not their device and i will never see LTE on that device. Check on the ATT Samsung Galaxy Note 3 forums and you will see that bunch of ATT customers purchased the T-Mobiles version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 because the boot loader is unlocked. As soon as they provided ATT their IMEIs off of the T-Mobiles version of the Note 3 they lost LTE. Similar story with the One + One phone. People purchased the phone, gave ATT the IMEI and said kaput to LTE. ATT is keeping off their LTE network most of the non ATT branded phones. The Nexus 5 is exception. So, i do not think it is a good idea to give ATT the IMEI of my non ATT branded device.

bassoprofundo

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Understood... I'm tempted to pick one of these up and switch the SIM without telling them to see if I can still tether. I'll post back here with results if I do. I'd like my Qi back after having a 920, 925, and 1020. Given some if the issues folks have had with quality on these though, I don't know... My AT&T model doesn't work well with the PMA cover and has the "two white spot" issue. At least I can still go back to AT&T and exchange mine, though. People buying these are pretty much on their own. Considering a Squaretrade warranty if I pick up one of these...

kki75

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Here's some of the answers found or reported so far.

Does Internet Sharing still work properly after WP 8.1 Cyan update?

The update process did not change the state of Internet Connection Sharing. If ICS was working before the update, and was already featured enabled at the service provider before the update, ICS will continue to work after the update.

How about after hard resetting the phone (which erases its contents) after Cyan update completes?

Not yet known whether the bug that required the Spanish keyboard workaround is fixed in Cyan.

Is it possible to roll back to WP 8.0 now since WP 8.1 Cyan is now available?

As of this writing, the firmware Nokia software recovery downloads and restores WP 8.0 for the Lumia 1520. This could change later, which would render WP 8.0 roll back impossible.

Is installing the Spanish/Spain keyboard still possible (since that's also done with "phone update") with WP 8.0 now that 8.1 is released?

Unknown. Installing Spanish keyboard in WP 8.0 causes the phone to report update is available. But then what is that update? The keyboard, or WP 8.1?

Edit: The Spanish keyboard is still installable for WP 8.0 as long as phone update has not yet discovered or queued any updates for WP 8.1.

Last edited:

TechoGeek

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to try the 8.1 update again over the weekend. I will try to restore from backup this time because from the few people that posted internet sharing continued to work on AT&T did a hard reset, then restored. The keyboard trick did not work for me on 8.1 after I did a hard reset.

kki75

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to try the 8.1 update again over the weekend. I will try to restore from backup this time because from the few people that posted internet sharing continued to work on AT&T did a hard reset, then restored. The keyboard trick did not work for me on 8.1 after I did a hard reset.

Are you saying you had Internet Connection Sharing working with 8.0, and the upgrade to WP 8.1 caused ICS to be blocked? Was tethering part of your AT&T service plan, and does ICS work if you move your SIM card to an AT&T branded phone?

In my encounter with this scenario, I have confirmed tethering in the service plan, and confirmed ICS working on an AT&T branded phone. Transferred the SIM to the 1520.3 with WP 8.0 and ICS became blocked. Used Spanish keyboard trick to unblock. And later updated to WP 8.1. The update did not affect ICS.

I'm unable to try other update or downgrade scenarios with hard resets at this time. That's because I've learned that there is absolutely no way to recover or restore any installed phone apps listed as "no longer published" in the Windows phone store. That includes "no longer published" paid apps too. :unhappy:

Last edited:

TechoGeek

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Are you saying you had Internet Connection Sharing working with 8.0, and the upgrade to WP 8.1 caused ICS to be blocked? Was tethering part of your AT&T service plan, and does ICS work if you move your SIM card to an AT&T branded phone?

In my encounter with this scenario, I have confirmed tethering in the service plan, and confirmed ICS working on an AT&T branded phone. Transferred the SIM to the 1520.3 with WP 8.0 and ICS became blocked. Used Spanish keyboard trick to unblock. And later updated to WP 8.1. The update did not affect ICS.

I'm unable to try other update or downgrade scenarios with hard resets at this time. That's because I've learned that there is absolutely no way to recover or restore any installed phone apps listed as "no longer published" in the Windows phone store. That includes "no longer published" paid apps too. :unhappy:

I have an unlimited plan with no tethering but after doing the spanish keyboard trick Internet Sharing worked perfectly on 8.0. When I did the OTA of Cyan it was blocked even after doing a hard reset. Tethering did work on my last phone but that was an Android phone which was easy to get working. Unfortunately I did not know about losing apps and lost seven apps, some were valued at 6.99.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I am with Cricket.

I just got my 1520 today.

First thing I did was upgrade to Cyan (before setting anything up so I did not try Internet Sharing), after I finalized the upgrade and went to test the setting for Internet Sharing did not even show up.

I went back to 8.0 and the Internet Sharing option showed up and worked (after they keyboard trick).

I started the upgrade again thinking that since I had set it up maybe it would stick... It stuck during the first upgrade and worked. After the second upgrade (the one that takes the phone to Cyan) the Internet Sharing option was completely gone from the settings menu again.

Sadness.

Last edited:

zho40

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I am with Cricket.

I just got my 1520 today.

First thing I did was upgrade to Cyan (before setting anything up so I did not try Internet Sharing), after I finalized the upgrade and went to test the setting for Internet Sharing did not even show up.

I went back to 8.0 and the Internet Sharing option showed up and worked (after they keyboard trick).

I started the upgrade again thinking that since I had set it up maybe it would stick... It stuck during the first upgrade and worked. After the second upgrade (the one that takes the phone to Cyan) the Internet Sharing option was completely gone again from the settings menu again.

Sadness.

Try installing Preview for Developers and that will make Internet Sharing come back into the settings but I still can't get it to work on 8.1 + Cyan.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
When I put in a T-Mobile sim card the Internet Sharing works right away no problems.

When I put in a GoPhone sim card I don't know if it works because it is not funded but at least the option shows up.

It is only with the Cricket (AIO) sim card that the option does not show up at all. TIME TO SWITCH!!!

dark77star203489

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

For what it's worth...

I have a 1520.3 on AT&T, just upgraded to 8.1. After upgrading, the wireless tethering did not work. Many steps were taken, but none worked. Prior to 8.1, I was able to use the installation of the Spanish language keyboard to enable tethering. After 8.1, it never worked.

I called at&t, who said that Windows phones "use a completely different way to access the internet as opposed to iPhones". He then mentioned that my settings were still set up as an iPhone account, not a Windows Phone. He switched the settings and I restarted my phone with a power cycle. As soon as the phone restarted, internet sharing / tethering worked perfectly.

I do not have unlimited service, but rather I have one of the newer mobile share plans with tethering built in.

I hope this information is valuable to everyone.

Best regards,
Eric

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)