Internet Sharing with AT&T / T-Mobile with 1520.3 and Lumia Cyan?

kki75

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Well at least I know if I ever do change from AT&T I'll have internet sharing back. thanks for the replies

I believe your actual issue is your AT&T service plan doesn't include tethering (Internet Connection Sharing). You should be able to call AT&T to fix that.

It looks like Cyan closes the loophole (the Spanish keyboard trick) which allowed ICS when the carrier data plan disallows it. And Cyan fixed the bug where ICS was falsely disallowed when the carrier data plan allowed it.

TechoGeek

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I believe your actual issue is your AT&T service plan doesn't include tethering (Internet Connection Sharing). You should be able to call AT&T to fix that.

It looks like Cyan closes the loophole (the Spanish keyboard trick) which allowed ICS when the carrier data plan disallows it. And Cyan fixed the bug where ICS was falsely disallowed when the carrier data plan allowed it.

That was one of the things that made me hesitate switching to windows phone, no tethering if its not on your plan. I tried to add it to my service but AT&T will only add it if I give up my unlimited plan. So when I read it was possible with the 1520.3 I took the chance and it worked perfectly. I'm thinking about going to T-Mobile now anyway since I've read it works on that network even without the keyboard trick.

IcyMcDreamy

Banned
Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I have had no problem enabling internet sharing on AT&T with 1520.3 until yesterday. I have the developer preview installed - but not cyan. It would work without a problem, but I found that it won't enable at all since yesterday.
I called AT&T support a couple of times. Their tech didn't seem to have any answers, they would send a "signal" and tell me to wait 15 minutes for it to "go through". Seemed like an excuse to get me off the line.
So something definitely changed on the AT&T side that disabled internet sharing on the 1520.3.

IcyMcDreamy

Banned
Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Update- I downgraded and found out what the issue was. I needed Cyan to use internet sharing on AT&T on the 1520.3. So downgrade, get all the phone updates, and then enroll in the developer preview. Everything is perfect now

TechoGeek

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Update- I downgraded and found out what the issue was. I needed Cyan to use internet sharing on AT&T on the 1520.3. So downgrade, get all the phone updates, and then enroll in the developer preview. Everything is perfect now

So are you saying after downgrading to 8.0 Nokia Black, you then upgraded back to 8.1 Nokia Cyan developers preview and internet sharing worked? Or did you stay on 8.0 developers preview in order to keep internet sharing?

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Currently i do not posses ATT branded LTE device. If i provide ATT my RM-938 IMEI they will recognize that is not their device and i will never see LTE on that device. Check on the ATT Samsung Galaxy Note 3 forums and you will see that bunch of ATT customers purchased the T-Mobiles version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 because the boot loader is unlocked. As soon as they provided ATT their IMEIs off of the T-Mobiles version of the Note 3 they lost LTE. Similar story with the One + One phone. People purchased the phone, gave ATT the IMEI and said kaput to LTE. ATT is keeping off their LTE network most of the non ATT branded phones. The Nexus 5 is exception. So, i do not think it is a good idea to give ATT the IMEI of my non ATT branded device.
I managed to find my broken HTC First (ATT branded LTE phone) and gave ATT that IMEI. Now my line is setup with Android LTE data plan. My plan has internet sharing and now it works on my RM-938 when I toggle it. When my line was setup with iPhone data plan, I couldn't make the internet sharing work no matter what I tried.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
As soon as they provided ATT their IMEIs off of the T-Mobiles version of the Note 3 they lost LTE. Similar story with the One + One phone. People purchased the phone, gave ATT the IMEI and said kaput to LTE. ATT is keeping off their LTE network most of the non ATT branded phones. The Nexus 5 is exception. So, i do not think it is a good idea to give ATT the IMEI of my non ATT branded device.
You seem to be saying the carrier doesn't have access to a connected device's IMEI. I'm pretty sure that T-Mobile (at least does). I base that on the fact that I upgraded from a 521 to a 925 some time ago. I bought the T-Mobile branded 925 from Newegg when they were selling them cheap. I moved my SIM from the 521 to the 925 and never told T-Mobile a thing. Then after 40 days, I asked for and got the unlock code for it from T-Mobile. As much as carriers hate giving unlock codes, I have to believe they would have said they have no record of my using that IMEI for 40 days if it didn't automatically show up in their system pretty much as soon as I plugged the SIM into it. Is my logic faulty?

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I also gave them the IMEI of my AT&T L920 and had no issues getting AT&T LTE on my L1520.3.

They do have access once the phone is working, but when they are inputting the info for the first time for a new sim card they provision it according to what the IMEI shows them. For whatever reason IMEIs of 1520.3s display as basic phones (probably because they are not in their system) so a lot of times they don't get LTE provisioned correctly.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I also gave them the IMEI of my AT&T L920 and had no issues getting AT&T LTE on my L1520.3.

They do have access once the phone is working, but when they are inputting the info for the first time for a new sim card they provision it according to what the IMEI shows them. For whatever reason IMEIs of 1520.3s display as basic phones (probably because they are not in their system) so a lot of times they don't get LTE provisioned correctly.
Okay, then you are saying the carrier (AT&T) isn't trying to cripple phone they don't sell. They just have a messed up system that has bad info for some phones. I'm not saying they don't drag their feet fixing that though.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Okay, then you are saying the carrier (AT&T) isn't trying to cripple phone they don't sell. They just have a messed up system that has bad info for some phones. I'm not saying they don't drag their feet fixing that though.

Yeah, I wouldn't say they do it intentionally (although it is AT&T, haha :grincry:).

I just think sometimes they incorrectly assume that if the IMEI is not from their own database then it must be basic.

ITMedCEO

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes...It is a policy of Cricket to NOT ALLOW ICS... That way it give you a reason to upgrade to AT&T. Basically Cricket is Ghetto!!! Not for Power Users or Business Minded Users! Go Tmobile if plan prices are the reason you picked Cricket.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes...It is a policy of Cricket to NOT ALLOW ICS... That way it give you a reason to upgrade to AT&T. Basically Cricket is Ghetto!!! Not for Power Users or Business Minded Users! Go Tmobile if plan prices are the reason you picked Cricket.

Business minded people need coverage T-Mobile doesn't provide. ICS issues can be worked around easily enough (you should know, with your own attempts to work around T-Mobile's blocks), coverage issues are not so easily overcome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs