1520.3 airplane mode stuck

weisman87

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been searching for a while and haven't found this problem anywhere so I wanted to start a thread about it. I have a 1520.3 (Latin America variant), was using the dev preview. Yesterday I reverted back to 8.0 to get official Cyan. Everything went alright, updates installed and rebooted, etc. Once on 8.1, I hard reset the phone to get my backup. When the phone came back up I noticed it was in airplane mode. No problem, I thought, just switch that off. When I do that, it constantly switches on/off EXTREMELY fast, and will not stop until I turn it on again in the action center. It's like my cellular connection will not turn on at all. When it's switching on and off, the phone gets very hot and I need to reboot. When it comes back up it's still stuck in airplane mode.

I've tried soft resets and hard resets and they don't work. I'm starting to think this is a Cyan firmware problem with this phone. When I revert back to 8.0 via the Software Recovery Tool, everything works great. I reverted back this morning and I'm on 8.0 with LTE on AT&T. I've tried just about every fix combination I can think of in regards to the SIM (reset with/without SIM in, turn off and put SIM in, put SIM in and reboot, etc) but nothign works. Again, this is not a hardware problem since everything works on 8.0. Has anyone else seen this problem with their 1520?

Fayer Boll

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
i am also facing EXACTLY the same problem you have. same phone model, and i have upgraded to cyan twice. still, the issue won't go off.

TashBaD

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
hi
of f.... :(( .today i update my lumia 1520.1 to cyan version!! but see airplane mod is on and i cannot turn off in setting!
but when in noti when turn off rapidly switch airplane mode and defalut mod !!!
any way todowngrade to wp 8? with atf box?
plz help :((

weisman87

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Fayer, I've reverted my phone back to 8.0 and upgraded to 8.1 three times and the problem is still there.

Tasha, you can revert back to 8.0 with the Nokia Software Recovery Tool, but every time you update back to Cyan/8.1, it will do the same thing. I can't get mine working.

I've talked some with NokiaCareUS and they said they'll get back to me "as soon as possible." They initially said they hadn't heard of this problem, but since it's showing up for more people maybe it'll get them concerned.

weisman87

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It is EXACTLY this issue. Thanks for the link. I was thinking about making a video for it, too, so thanks for saving me the trouble. This is not a hardware problem like the guy in your thread says. It is a firmware problem. I'm in contact with NokiaCareUS and I'll keep updating them as I find more people with the problem.

weisman87

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
dang.. are we gonna stuck with wp8 forever? heh.

I hope not. But this needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. My 1520 is unusable right now because of this. I don't want to revert to 8.0 AGAIN and go through the update process if/when this is ever fixed.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I have tried to recreate this bug but the Airplane mode is fine on my UK 937, both before and after Cyan update.

Can this be a software-bug in Cyan for some regions, or maybe a hardware-bug on some batches of 1520?.

weisman87

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have tried to recreate this bug but the Airplane mode is fine on my UK 937, both before and after Cyan update.

Can this be a software-bug in Cyan for some regions, or maybe a hardware-bug on some batches of 1520?.

It looks like a bug to me. It seems to be pretty random, too. I really don't think it's a hardware problem since it worked fine on the dev preview.

weisman87

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried removing the SIM catd and cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser??

Haven't tried this, no. But the SIM works fine in a 1020 and fine in the 1520 on Black/8.0 and the 8.1 dev preview. I'd think if it was the SIM card, it would mess up in other circumstances.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Haven't tried this, no. But the SIM works fine in a 1020 and fine in the 1520 on Black/8.0 and the 8.1 dev preview. I'd think if it was the SIM card, it would mess up in other circumstances.

Not necessarily... I only offered the advice to totally rule out other factors. In the past I have had a computer that didn't work, unplugged the components and plugged them back in exactly as they were and the computer worked...

1st_Raven

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Not necessarily... I only offered the advice to totally rule out other factors. In the past I have had a computer that didn't work, unplugged the components and plugged them back in exactly as they were and the computer worked...

I've tried two sim cards in my phone, with the issue remaining with both of them.

Angie Rayborne

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
i have exactly the same problem PLUS my phone will not charge .... it does not show any form of connection to the charger, and my computer does not find my phone either. as it is now nearly flat, I will probably not be able to fix the problem even if a fix is suddenly available!! i rang Nokia UK and was told to download the recovery tool, but when i tried to use it, it could not connect to my phone. i pressed the volume and on/off buttons until it vibrated as it instructed, and the phone just rebooted and opened with the home screen as usual. The recovery tool then started the trying to connect my phone, only for the whole process to start again . so I am stuck with a nearly flat phone in airplane mode that is totally useless as a phone!! not good for anyone, but I am particularly upset as I NEED to be contactable at all times due to my husbands disability.

weisman87

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
i have exactly the same problem PLUS my phone will not charge .... it does not show any form of connection to the charger, and my computer does not find my phone either. as it is now nearly flat, I will probably not be able to fix the problem even if a fix is suddenly available!! i rang Nokia UK and was told to download the recovery tool, but when i tried to use it, it could not connect to my phone. i pressed the volume and on/off buttons until it vibrated as it instructed, and the phone just rebooted and opened with the home screen as usual. The recovery tool then started the trying to connect my phone, only for the whole process to start again . so I am stuck with a nearly flat phone in airplane mode that is totally useless as a phone!! not good for anyone, but I am particularly upset as I NEED to be contactable at all times due to my husbands disability.

Hey Angie, I had the same problem with the tool not being able to connect to my phone. What fixed it for me was removing/reinstalling anything that uses the Nokia USB drivers. So things like the Nokia Software Recovery Tool, Nokia Care Suite, and Nokia Data Package Manager. The drivers seem to be finicky. I'm STILL waiting for a damn response from the team my problem was "forwarded to." It's infuriating. Haven't had a usable phone for over a week.

Angie Rayborne

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I am beyond infuriated!! my phone is now dead, and I will now be making another very expensive phone call to Nokia. It must cost a fortune BEFORE you even get to speak to a REAL person. I tried to ring them back yesterday, and went through the initial 5 minutes of if you want this or that press ....... only to be told at the end of it that they were closed!!!

weisman87

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I am beyond infuriated!! my phone is now dead, and I will now be making another very expensive phone call to Nokia. It must cost a fortune BEFORE you even get to speak to a REAL person. I tried to ring them back yesterday, and went through the initial 5 minutes of if you want this or that press ....... only to be told at the end of it that they were closed!!!

Instead of dealing with them on the phone, try going to their chat support:

Contact Nokia Support - Nokia - USA

Scroll down to Live Chat. Usually if your problem is urgent enough, they'll "escalate." Although I've been waiting over a week for a fix to my airplane mode problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion