Is it worth downgrading my WP8.1 DP so I can get Cyan?

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Just now I found out that Cyan is now available for the Lumia 1520 here in the Philippines, which is good since it was way faster than I expected. However, I updated my phone via Preview for Developers when I got it a few months ago, and it's working fine. Sure there's the excessive battery draining and sometimes it really kills my phone overnight when I leave it at less than 20%, and when using cellular data for internet, I have problems with it (not sure if phone or the carrier because I've always had a problem with Sun's mobile internet even in my Lumia 900) but it doesn't matter much because I use wifi at home. Other than those issues, everything runs smooth and it's really satisfying to use. I'm worried that if I downgrade then update to Cyan/WP8.1, I might encounter more problems than fixes.

So is it worth my time downgrading to WP8.0 and then updating to WP8.1 and Cyan? Or should I just wait for MS to fix the update and allow WP8.1 DP users to update directly?

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I've found that resetting the phone (hard reset) mostly resolved my battery issues when I was on DP and they further improved when I went to Cyan. So, since you should do a reset anyway, you may as well downgrade and update to Cyan while you are at it. Updating directly when able to do so may or may not resolve the issue.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Just wait few days. Windows Phone 8.1 update 1 is coming via Dev. Preview Program in next week. They may include the fix to this update and unlock the cyan release to Dev. Previewers once update 1 is out. If it doesn't happen then downgrade and install 8.1+Cyan via OTA and then enroll to the dev preview and download update 1. That's the best choice imo. :)

TEEBEEWEEBEE

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
It's worth it IMHO. Camera and power buttons respond much faster with Cyan. If you have a SD card, all of the pics/vids won't get erased. Touch and camera work better also.

rpac78

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
It's totally worth it. I was hesitating as well with the downgrading process but it only took an hour or so. I was also afraid that I would have to re-download all my apps but if you backup your phone before you downgrade, WP8.1 does it for you! I didn't even need to fix my start screen; it was set just like I had it.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, unless you are ok with losing all your data, I would wait. Yes, Cyan is awesome, but, is it worth the restore time/work for you?

I did it because I was having other issues (internal builds) and needed to get off those since I am leaving. Now that I have wiped it and am back on retail WP8.1, all is good. :D

Yipcanjo

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
For the record, I took the jump, downgraded, updated to Cyan + the official WP8.1, and restored from backup. I'm totally happy that I did. The camera improvements + speed are AWESOME, the phone itself feels snappier, some "bugs" appear to have been fixed, and it didn't take long at all to get my phone back to a normal state (after the restore).

My advice? Take a backup of your phone, run the Nokia Software Recovery tool, and go for it! Well worth it, if you ask me :)

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I've been trying to downgrade and I'm currently at 54% in the downloading part. Sometimes it seems to stop on its own sometimes because of "network problems" (is this normal?). I just continued. Earlier my PC crashed and I couldn't run Nokia Software Recovery Tool so I copied it to a different location and ran the program, and now it's downloading again (started from scratch again). Hopefully nothing bad happens.

Yipcanjo

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Wondering if others are seeing this...but since updating to Cyan + the official WP8.1 release, my battery life is truly great. Like I unplugged my phone around 8AM yesterday, used it quite heavily all day long, and was at 50% battery by 11:30pm. I was staggered. Today looks about the same.

I *LOVE* the Cyan firmware so far. Truly great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99