Did anyone rollback to 8.0 then get the cyan update then went back to dev preview?

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
I rolled my ATT 1520 back using Nokia's tool. Let it boot, updated to Cyan 8.1, rebooted. Formatted fresh, rebooted.

Set everything up. It's the only way I will roll. Don't want any lingering stuff hanging around. Fresh Cyan flash here. It flies and the battery lasts like 3 days.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I rolled my ATT 1520 back using Nokia's tool. Let it boot, updated to Cyan 8.1, rebooted. Formatted fresh, rebooted.

Set everything up. It's the only way I will roll. Don't want any lingering stuff hanging around. Fresh Cyan flash here. It flies and the battery lasts like 3 days.

NOW, that's what I'm talking about, good on ya, mate.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
My next question is: anybody here on Vodafone UK? If so, is the Cyan update available yet? I don't want to roll back for nothing.

Before anybody jumps in and says use the search function - I have!! I used google search and couldn't find anything. Thought it would be quicker to ask a bunch of friendly people here.

Yes, I'm with voda UK. I believe they have cyan listed as under testing so it could be a while before we see it. For whatever reason I've found the whole rolling back thing a total nightmare. I've followed multiple instructions and tried dozens of times over the past 2 weeks but just keep getting endless errors. My 1520 is having none of it..........really frustrating stuff

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
This I did... no big problems... other than waiting for stuff to download.... One thing I did do was a full restore of a backup I made before I downgraded. Had to do a hard reset to get to the restore.... not a big deal though. I really did not want to have set up my home screen again, hence the restore.

Now I'm debating going back on DP to get GDR1... I think I'll wait and see what everyone experiences with GDR1. My 1520 is very sweet with 8.1 and Cyan.... :grin:

~ScottGeek.

S_C_B

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I rolled back then updated. I'll get back on the dev preview once update 1 comes out.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

markk132

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
This I did... no big problems... other than waiting for stuff to download.... One thing I did do was a full restore of a backup I made before I downgraded. Had to do a hard reset to get to the restore.... not a big deal though. I really did not want to have set up my home screen again, hence the restore.

Now I'm debating going back on DP to get GDR1... I think I'll wait and see what everyone experiences with GDR1. My 1520 is very sweet with 8.1 and Cyan.... :grin:

~ScottGeek.

when you restored from your 8.1 backup AFTER you upgraded to Cyan, did your home screen get restored along with app data, as Microsoft promised when they announced WP 8.1? app data meaning, you don't need to open the apps and re-sign in and set them up one by one again..

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
when you restored from your 8.1 backup AFTER you upgraded to Cyan, did your home screen get restored along with app data, as Microsoft promised when they announced WP 8.1? app data meaning, you don't need to open the apps and re-sign in and set them up one by one again..

Anyone who has done a hard reset can guarantee that it works. ;)

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

It also depends if the app/game was written to support backing up its data in this way.

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site

I've not noticed anything lost or missing, with a minor exceptions of a game progress, some notifications, and passwords you have to re-enter... the trick, as many will tell you, is to make sure you execute the hard reset to get to the restore. And of course, that all important initial main backup you do BEFORE you start mucking about with downgrading, updating, and hard resetting. :eek:rly: You have to make absolutely sure you get that snapshot of your apps/data... or you will have nothing to recover to.

But Yes, I got my Home Screen back. I did a backup before I downgraded and restored as part of a hard reset after Cyan/WP 8.1 update.

~ScottGeek.

Last edited:

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
It also depends if the app/game was written to support backing up its data in this way.

Indeed it does... I have only one real game that I did loose some progress with... but I know that if I had progressed and saved from another device (i.e. my PC or RT tablet) I would not have even lost that. Turns out the last play time was done on my phone... But in the scope of things... not a huge deal.

Poorly written apps that don't save either app data to the cloud or at least in some "data-app" location that's back'ed up via the OS... yeah, it will be gone.

~ScottGeek.

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Anyone who has done a hard reset can guarantee that it works. ;)

A hard reset works.... guarantee? Too many variables to say that there would Never be an issue. And if you do the restore as part of the hard reset, you will get only as good as what you backed up. With that said, are there risks? Absolutely...

The question you have to ask... is what's so important on your phone that would cause you major issues/stress/life ending whatever to loose? If that exists for you, then you need to have a smart strategy where you keep that important stuff somewhere else off your device.

For example, photos... it's a big deal for me. I would never only keep them on my phone. It's such an important element to me, I have photos automatically pushed to more than one place off my phone.

And yes, there are always exceptions that can occur... poorly written apps that don't save themselves... taking a photo and before it pushes itself to a safe location... you drop your phone in the Atlantic (yeah that one's fun).

:cool:

~ScottGeek.

rajamass

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I installed GDR1 update today on Cyan firmware

​Initially I decided not to update as I am worried about heating issues with 8.1 update previously on Black firmware

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site

~ScottGeek.

Update: Since GDR1 has become available... I jumped back on DP and updated to GDR1... I've really been wanting to see the Live/Folder tiles... I LIKE!! Now I need to stop playing with my Home screen and get back to work...

wp_ss_20140805_0002.jpg

Chris Moore12

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I updated to Cyan and just updated to the Dev GDR1 yesterday. I have experienced TWO phone reboots since the update......worrying as I have never had my 1520 reboot at all.

AndyD33

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
For anyone who rolled their 1520 back to 8.0 to get Cyan, did apps that you had installed on a memory card work fine if you take out the memory card for the rollback?

I have a couple games installed from the Gameloft promo that I'd prefer not to lose.

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
For anyone who rolled their 1520 back to 8.0 to get Cyan, did apps that you had installed on a memory card work fine if you take out the memory card for the rollback?

I have a couple games installed from the Gameloft promo that I'd prefer not to lose.

The ones I have on the SD seem to work fine... with that said... some had to do some "App Updates" before the icon would stop "ghosting" and actually run. With games (and other apps) that get "De-Listed" in the app store or the promo ends.... downgrading and wiping to get to 8.1/Cyan you COULD loose those. I would double check that those games are still in the app store or are still available in promo just to be safe. Some folks have posted complaints about this loosing of some types of games that have left the app store or they can't get a promo copy.

Another thing I noticed, not necessarily related to rollback -> 8.1/Cyan Update, some app developers remove an apps ability to run on the SD... you see this when the app wants/needs to update and runs into an issue because it's installed on the SD card... the only work-around that I found for these is to move them back to the phone and do the update.... and of course the updated app will not allow you to move it back to the SD card (yeah, I thinking that's not good).

~ScottGeek.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786