Have a smooth Cyan experience - find out how

miguelsantos

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Hello Guys and Gals,

I m very picky with all kinds of performance on my L1520. Gaming, UI, Apps, browsing and network performance.

After installing cyan i noticed something was not quite perfect after a few days of use. Touch responses were wrong and the fluidity of of the system was not quite up to previous updates.

First: I tried to use the reset function and install everything again, using the backup that windows phone provides - Issues remain the same.

Second: Downgraded the phone to 8.0 with the Nokia tool, installed the Cyan right after the first boot and after that i started from the scratch installing all apps, including the Nokia system apps (didn't use the backup). The phone now runs smoothly and i didn't encounter any problem. Touch sensibility resolved aswell.

I believe this is the best way to have a perfect and clean system.

Have you had different experiences?

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I have also downgraded to 8.0 with Nokia Recovery Tool 2 days back and there were some updates for some in-build applications. Today I will update to Cyan .

Dwight Kuhl

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I can appreciate the effort that goes into tuning your phone to the max and "resolving" it's issues. One must realize that most users are not wanting to become Computer Science majors during the process. I guess its asking to much for a stable, plug and play system that we have all been weaned on (and promised) by ALL phone manufactures. I and others always get snookered into the latest updates (across all platforms) and invariably they all suck... I love my 1520, like any relationship there is some give and take...

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I may have to do this today. I just got my brand new 1520 yesterday and I immediately got it updated to cyan recovering a back up and I got to say I am a little frustrated since I expected so much more from this phone. I get the scrolling/tap issue and I notice that the transitions are not as smooth as they should be.

I already went back to 8 a couple of times but every time I have taken it to cyan, done a hard reset and restored a back up.

I have a question:

"Second: Downgraded the phone to 8.0 with the Nokia tool, installed the Cyan right after the first boot"

I think it is clear but I just want to make sure that means you didn't set up your account or anything else until you were all the way to Cyan, correct?

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a question:

"Second: Downgraded the phone to 8.0 with the Nokia tool, installed the Cyan right after the first boot"

I think it is clear but I just want to make sure that means you didn't set up your account or anything else until you were all the way to Cyan, correct?

This is the way I did it. I also did a factory reset as soon as Cyan was done before doing any personalization. From here I restored a backup and all has been good.

Ran a little warm while it was restoring and then doing the indexing.

I am happy with the outcome.

Sam Picar

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I may have to do this today. I just got my brand new 1520 yesterday and I immediately got it updated to cyan recovering a back up and I got to say I am a little frustrated since I expected so much more from this phone. I get the scrolling/tap issue and I notice that the transitions are not as smooth as they should be.

I already went back to 8 a couple of times but every time I have taken it to cyan, done a hard reset and restored a back up.

I have a question:

Will the files stored in the memory card be deleted if I will do a hard reset even the memory card is inside my phone?

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
This is the way I did it. I also did a factory reset as soon as Cyan was done before doing any personalization. From here I restored a backup and all has been good.

Ran a little warm while it was restoring and then doing the indexing.

I am happy with the outcome.

Haha this post reminded me of the good ole Windows Mobile days.

If I understand you correctly you did the exact opposite of what we were discussing (you did a reset after cyan and used a back up, we were saying no hard resets after upgrade and no use of backups) and it works fine for you.

At the end of the day this just seems to be a very finicky release coupled with some apparent hardware issues to which each phone might respond differently depending on what the user does.

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
As said in my previous post today, I have upgraded to 8.1 few minutes back. Let's hope this resolves my weak WIFI issues which appeared after 8.1 upgrade.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

On hard reset, it will ask you if you wish to format the SD card. You can pick: No. Bear in mind that if you have apps installed on the SD, these will not work.
When reinstalling these apps, WP will ask if you wish to replace the apps, but you will lose any saved data. Pics, video, documents will be untouched.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
After Cyan Update, the system seams to be lagging on enter, exit and the animations in between for too many Apps for my liking. If this "clean" install can solve this issue then it's worth the effort.

You guys who are going for "clean" install, please report back your experience.

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
After Cyan Update, the system seams to be lagging on enter, exit and the animations in between for too many Apps for my liking. If this "clean" install can solve this issue then it's worth the effort.

You guys who are going for "clean" install, please report back your experience.

All systems are smooth. No lag in animations for me.

9204life

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I was having horrible screen lag. I took the advice of this thread and didn't restore off a backup. I'm once again running 8.1 and no lag at all.
FYI, I used the nokia restore tool, took my phone back to windows 8, then updated to 8.1. All this without restoring from backup.
Thanks.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I guess I waited long enough to buy my 1520.3. I fired it up and it went thru several updates ending with Cyan and the latest 8.1 release. Now to decide if I want to go the DP route with this phone for GDR1. That and research to see if I need to do anything else to make this work on T-Mobile. Haven't plugged the SIM from my old phone in yet.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I guess I waited long enough to buy my 1520.3. I fired it up and it went thru several updates ending with Cyan and the latest 8.1 release. Now to decide if I want to go the DP route with this phone for GDR1. That and research to see if I need to do anything else to make this work on T-Mobile. Haven't plugged the SIM from my old phone in yet.

I'd say go for it (WP8.1 Update 1, it's awesome).

You should not need to do anything special for T-Mobile. My girlfriend has T-Mobile so I took her sim card and put it in my phone and it worked fine including Internet Sharing.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'd say go for it (WP8.1 Update 1, it's awesome).

You should not need to do anything special for T-Mobile. My girlfriend has T-Mobile so I took her sim card and put it in my phone and it worked fine including Internet Sharing.
Yeah I have update one under DP on my current phone (L925). Just deciding if I should wait for the general roll-out on the 1520. I agree its really cool but nothing seriously must have.

Who am I kidding. I'm gonna do it.

I can't just swap SIMs. I just tried. Turns out the 1520 uses a nano-SIM so the 925's won't fit. Have to hit a T-Mobile store this morning for a (better be) free replacement nano-SIM and buy an adapter so I can use the nano-SIM in the 925 should I need it as a backup.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Oh yes, sorry, I meant more in the sense of frequencies/software set up than the sim card per se.

When you get your nano you can ask in the store if they have any adapters lying around that they could spare, sometimes they do. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99