Copying text messages from 920 to 1520

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Guys, is this possible? I tried the "Transfer my Data" app and it only copied contacts.

​Thanks for the help in advance!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
It's absolutely possible by using "text message backup" on your first device, then restore to your 2nd device. You'll have the option to go back a week, month, year, etc..

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
#WindowsPhoneSupport

Text messages

You can automatically back up your SMS and MMS messages to the cloud. That way, the next time you get a new Windows Phone, you can restore your conversations when you set up the phone. When you delete your messages from your phone, they'll be deleted from the cloud as well, so you're always in sync.

To turn on text message backup

1.In the App list, tap Settings Settings icon > Backup.

2.Tap Text messages, and then turn Text message backup on or off.

Notes

? Turning off backup won't delete previously saved SMS and MMS messages. To delete messages from the cloud, you'll need to turn on backup and delete the messages off your phone.
? On Windows Phone 8, you can also turn Chat backup on or off.
------------------------------

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have that on already.. When I go to OneDrive there's only notes and some documents I saved...

Don't have to go to OneDrive. On your phone, go to settings/backup and hit text message backup.. you should see a box for "download text messages from" a week, month, etc ago...

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't have to go to OneDrive. On your phone, go to settings/backup and hit text message backup.. you should see a box for "download text messages from" a week, month, etc ago...
I just backed it up like 10 minutes after I read this thread.. Will that be a problem? Should I have backed it up the moment I got the 920? I still can't see it on my new phone :(

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
On your old phone, go to Settings/Email and accounts and force your Microsoft account to sync by holding your finger down on it and selecting Sync. This is assuming you have text backup turned on. Make sure it doesn't say that it isn't up to date after you sync and if it does, sync it again. Once it syncs, reset your new phone and restore backup after you log into the same Microsoft account.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Sirs, thank you. I just synced my 920 then synced my 1520 after and all of them are there! Thanks guys! Thank God I didn't need a reset since I've been workin on the 1520 for the past week and now, it's ready for primetime!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion