Nokia Lumia 1520 Frustrating MicroSD syncing/music transfer errors

Arlan Henry

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
wp_ss_20140801_0006.jpg wp_ss_20140801_0007.jpg

I recently upgraded from a Lumia 920 to a Lumia 1520 SOLELY so I could take advantage of the Full HD support, Larger screen, Radio, and MOST IMPORTANTLY; the allowance for expandable memory up to 64GB.

I purchased a Micro SDHC 64GB Class 10 card -----> IMG-20140801-WA0009.jpg and proceeded to add music to it in my phone as I did previously with my Lumia 920, through WIndows Explorer. I made the mistake of letting my eagerness get to me and attempted to transfer ALL of the music that was currently on my Samsung Galaxy Note GT N7000. To make a long story short, I've been plagued by the following problems:

1. Duplication

Lots of songs were duplicated or triplicated. They each played in the Music Player app but when I checked the music content of my phone using the Windows phone app, quite a few songs (mostly the duplicates and triplicates) showed up as having a 0 Byte file size.
  2. Missing Tag info

Needs no explaining. Too many songs with tags ended up in "Unknown Artist" and "Unknown Album" categories.
  3. Windows Media Player Sync Errors

"Error Syncing" and once it got to that first Error, nothing else would sync.
  4. Windows Phone app Errors 83000006 & 80004005

Two errors which I googled but found no helpful info to solve the problem. Forgot the exact numbers but they were each 8 or 10 digit numbers starting with 8000.
  5. Windows explorer File corrupted error

This error gave me the biggest hints as to what was causing the problems. Certain files (Playlist m3u, and Album art) ended up being corrupt(ed) and the introduction for the first corrupt file to SD card corrupts the entire card which now has to be formatted.
  6. SD Card Corruption

The card is frustratingly, easily corruptible.

I've read that the Format SD Card option provided in Phone STorage settings, only erases headers (Because it is a rather QUICK process on the phone. Faster than Quick Format via PC.) I've done full formats through Command Prompt "format H:"

I've run chkdsk /F H: which has found numerous errors and FIXED these errors in between formats. After the errors are corrected or after formatting I can load music to the card via PC (using the SD slot) but when I insert the card back into the phone all the music shows up in the OTHER folder.

The CLOSEST that I've ever come to 'successfully' transferring music to my SD card is using Windows explorer and transferring music albums folder by folder or Multiple file by multiple file. It was a painstakingly slow process that seemed to work until I hit about 16+ GB before I got errors and had to start over.

IMG-20140801-WA0006.jpg

One of the most frustrating things is that transferring the music files to my PHONE works. I even went as far as trying to transfer the music files DIRECTLY off of my Lumia 920 onto the SD card's music folder of the 1520 to no avail.

Transfer.PNG

:cry: HELP!?!?! :angry:

Last edited:

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Frustrating MicroSD syncing/music transfer errors

I would be inclined to take the SD card back to where you got it from. Is it a genuine/branded one? I know the cheap knockoffs can be "told" they have a 64GB capacity and in fact it's something much less, and you won't know until you try and write a number of files to it.

I personally use Windows Media Player for dumping music onto my phone's SD card. You can make it add album art and other info before syncing. Just don't expect it to show in Xbox Music on the phone - it still doesn't. MixRadio shows it fine.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

I have issues transferring music all the time. Mind you I don't transfer nearly as much music over as you do. I tend to keep one running and constantly updated playlist with about 100 songs. But I find to NOT have any issues I need to wipe the music folder clean on the phone to keep the transfer process going smoothly. I use either Windows Media Player to sync playlists or once in a while I use the Windows 8 app. The app seems to have more errors during the transfers for some reason. Also I don't like the fact that the app doesn't allow me to choose to sync the music to storage inside of the phone storage. WMP does allow you to select the destination.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

I have issues transferring music all the time. Mind you I don't transfer nearly as much music over as you do. I tend to keep one running and constantly updated playlist with about 100 songs. But I find to NOT have any issues I need to wipe the music folder clean on the phone to keep the transfer process going smoothly. I use either Windows Media Player to sync playlists or once in a while I use the Windows 8 app. The app seems to have more errors during the transfers for some reason. Also I don't like the fact that the app doesn't allow me to choose to sync the music to storage inside of the phone storage. WMP does allow you to select the destination.

I think the reason for that is the Windows 8 app picks up the relevant setting from the phone and syncs it to whatever that's set to, as when I've used it the music ends up on the SD card.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

On WP8.1 it's in Storage Sense - I can't remember where it lives in 8.0 mind. Maybe in Storage Checker? Just look for the one that says something along the lines of "store new music on ....."

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

I used to have these exact problems, unfortunately the only thing guaranteed to solve it is using your iPod.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

On WP8.1 it's in Storage Sense - I can't remember where it lives in 8.0 mind. Maybe in Storage Checker? Just look for the one that says something along the lines of "store new music on ....."

It's in 'Phone Storage' in Settings.

Looks like a cheap micro SD card to me. Use a decent one, Sandisk or something like that, and you won't get these problems. The 1520 demands a decent micro SD card. They are reasonably inexpensive at the moment. Try Amazon.
I had issues using a cheap 16GB card in my 1520. Once I purchased the Sandisk one, all the problems disappered.

kmok

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

Insert the micro SD card into your computer and transfer music over with explorer into a Music folder. I haven't had duplicate issues since I had a 521 before doing it this way. Having the phone plugged in seemed to be the cause of my duplication issues. Inserting the micro SD card directly into the computer to transfer music has worked well on my 521, 820, and my 1520 with 64GB and 128GB micro SD cards with around 50GB worth of music on my 128GB micro SD card. The tagging issue I had to manually fix and I did this by going through each artist folder and adding the tags for Artist and Album Artist with MP3 Tag on my PC.

Arlan Henry

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

Went out and bought a proper Micro SD card (Toshiba 64 GB MicroSDXC).

No errors messages as I used ROBOCOPY

Exact Syntax:

ROBOCOPY G:\Arlan H:\Music /S /A /PURGE /R:0 /W:0 /REG /ETA

But all the music is stored under the "Other" section of the memory card 😢

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

Went out and bought a proper Micro SD card (Toshiba 64 GB MicroSDXC).

No errors messages as I used ROBOCOPY

Exact Syntax:

ROBOCOPY G:\Arlan H:\Music /S /A /PURGE /R:0 /W:0 /REG /ETA

But all the music is stored under the "Other" section of the memory card ��

I think it's because it wasn't copied via the MTP protocol (ie via syncing).

Arlan Henry

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

After a full format exFat 128KB allocation units I tried again using the Windows phone app.

These were the results.

Transfer.PNG

Syncing.PNG

Sync Error.PNG

Sync Error 2.PNG

Sync Error 3.PNG

opusthecat

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Same issues here. My SD card (Sandisk) worked perfectly fine and then I broke my screen, removed SD card and sent to Palco for repair. When I got my phone back and inserted the SD card again it worked like normal until The next time I connected to my PC using the Windows Phone application and then it duplicated and triplicated all my songs, photos and videos. Before this it synced fine with that same app and SD card. So I tried a different SD card, formatted it first using full format on PC and then a quick format in the 1520 and went to sync and it did the same thing to this card. That tells me SD cards are not the issue, something with the phone software. Now even worse, it got an error today on my screen saying the SD card is corrupted and to do a backup before the phone wishes to scan and fix errors, but it won't backup to the cloud now...error when doing so, so frustrating! I hope MS fixes this in an update soon because all my apps, photos, videos and music is on this SD card that WONT BACKUP!

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

Arlan Henry

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
So I FINALLY got it to work and my faith has been restored in Windows Phones (NOT their Customer Tech Support).

This is what worked for ME!!!
  • Remove SD Card.
  • Format SD card fully

Using settings: exFat and 128Kb Allocation Units
  • Hard reset Phone :cry:
  • Re-insert SD card.

I used Windows Explorer as it was much faster and put 25+ GB of music back onto my phone today.

Lost all my pictures though. They're saved in Windows Phone app on my system but I'm just scared to run the sync again. Photos aren't as important as a functioning expandable storage.

Thank YOU ALL for the support.

I hope my solution works for you guys as well.

I just wish we knew a REASON as to why a Hard Reset solved the problem.

bobvad

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Folks..
I have the same issue with the Sandisk Micro SD card ( 64gb). I formattted it and synced the music , video onto the card.

I wantedly synced a song onto my card which is already existing in the phone.

The first one plays fine and the second song plays fast and garbled. I am assuming that the first song is a song stored on Mobile and the second is from SD card.

Did any one observe this issue ? :shocked:

Arlan Henry

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Firstly, the songs, pics, and videos stored locally on your phone will have to be saved somewhere else. Once you have those saved, then hard reset your phone with the memory card in it.

I don't know why, but it works.

Flitterkill

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Two cents here. Registered just for this.

Brutal errors, some songs would copy, others wouldn't. Once on the phone 90% of them would not play at all, etc. New Samsung 64gig card as well. Frustrating doesn't even come close.

To solve the problem (for me at least):

If there is anything on the card currently working, move it or back it up, etc.

Format the card *IN THE PHONE*. After formatting it still reported that I had stuff in the music directory of the card. I exited storage sense and went back in and it then correctly reported zeros across all directories. If not, format in the phone again, exit storage sense, etc.

Now be sure to click the Remove SD Card option at the bottom in storage sense prior to removing the card from the phone.

Remove card, use an sd card adapter and jack it into your pc. Copy files as needed.

Once again, hit the tray area and click on remove usb devices and safely remove the sd card.

Re-insert into phone, enjoy working music :)

Bottom line is to treat the card as a phone-formatted card throughout, clicking the safely remove buttons prior to removal from the phone and the computer. Made a ton of difference for me.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I have ALWAYS had issues or errors copying music to my sd card while it is in the phone, so I just use a memory card reader to copy music to the sd card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro