Thinking of selling my 1520 after 1 week or less from purchase.

lebgeek

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I recently got my Lumia 1520 black. My first windows phone device. Thought id give it a try and well im disappointed. The OS is good but umm boring. I dont get the idea of live tiles.. think they're useless.
I know the phone is incredibly fast but the lack of good quality apps and the huge 6 inch screen arent helping much.

My phone is currently on 8.0 - still no cyan/8.1 yet. I dont know why microsoft is so slow with the updates spc when they control the hardware and software together now just like Apple.

So what do you guys think? Should i wait for 8.1? Or just sell the phone and get some cash or well a high-end android phone?

I hate that quality of apps isnt great compared to the appstore (apple). Did i mention i tried really hard to replace my iPhone 5S and use the 1520 as my daily driver and just couldnt? :(

Oh and the camera isnt good in low light with no flash. I feel like my 5s camera can do a better job in most cases. And the front camera. Why on earth are my pics rotated horizontally?

I wish i can resize the keyboard a bit :( its just too damn big.

What I like: the design of the OS and the ease of use.
The flash is excellent. The BATTERY.

I really really really want to like the 1520. What should I do?

Last edited:

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Problem is carriers control the firmware releases for non-Apple phones. Apple dictate to the carriers when to release or they're not allowed to sell the iPhones.

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Nothing man! :) If you don't like it, don't use it! It's as simple as that. I moved from Android to WP so I can't tell the diff between iOS and WP. For me, moving from crapdroid was the best thing in life, although it took me week or two to adjust. I don't know what shoul happend to make me gi back. I suggest you to give it a shot, maybe install WP 8.1 over PfD program and then see if it works for you. Although, as you mention, lack of apps is your problem, I doubt 8.1 will help with that right now. Use what you like, no metter what someone else say. ;) Good luck!

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I recently got my Lumia 1520 black. My first windows phone device. Thought id give it a try and well im disappointed. The OS is good but umm boring. I dont get the idea of live tiles.. think they're useless.
I know the phone is incredibly fast but the lack of good quality apps and the huge 6 inch screen arent helping much.

My phone is currently on 8.0 - still no cyan/8.1 yet. I dont know why microsoft is so slow with the updates spc when they control the hardware and software together now just like Apple.

So what do you guys think? Should i wait for 8.1? Or just sell the phone and get some cash or well a high-end android phone?

I hate that quality of apps isnt great compared to the appstore (apple). Did i mention i tried really hard to replace my iPhone 5S and use the 1520 as my daily driver and just couldnt? :(

Oh and the camera isnt good in low light with no flash. I feel like my 5s camera can do a better job in most cases. And thd front camera. Why on earth are my pics rotated horizontally?

I came from team iPhone and got the 1520 too. With 8.1 you will never ever want to go back to iPhone again. You should consider getting the developers preview to get 8.1 now without cyan. There is no iPhone that can compete with what the 1520 can do. The biggest down side is apps but it's really not that bad. And you'll get used to the size and hate all phones that are smaller. My girl has an iPhone 5s and she's so jealous that my phone does all types of things better than her phone does. It's just world of a difference.

Paul Nicholas

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yup definitely update to 8.1, leaps and bounds better than 8.

I agree with you on the app front but it's improved so much in the last year. Also I can't wait to see what Windows Phone 9 will be like!

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
The camera is much improved with cyan. I am a photographer and I've used the 5s extensively and the 1520 destroys it in low light and bright scenes due to better dynamic range. The 5S is much better at capturing fast action shots but I found the 1520 to be much snappier with autofocus with cyan and almost as fast as the 5s for capturing a single frame.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
You really should use it for at least two weeks. You've never seen live tiles so you can't really embrace them. Trust me, once you genuinely try to use them, going back to iOS will seem so restrictive. Going from a start screen that shows you active information on what's most important too you back to icons with numbers?? You'll realize the significance of live tiles.

Rogozinski

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't agree with you. I had the iPhone also but the 1520 makes ofcourse much better photo's! I did not like the 6" screen so now i have the 930 with also a 20mp camera which makes terrific pictures, also in low light. Compare them on a pc and you will see that Iphone 5s pictures are not that good! And about the lack of apps... I don't miss something. All important social networks are here and many other important apps and games. On Iphone and Android are just too many garbage apps ;)

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I think the biggest thing is the apps, On the 1520 using the twitter app, it doesn't utilize the whole screen.

The text message and email apps do not utilize the screen. I can see like 1 less email and 1 less text on my 920.

If they can fix it and make it so that just isn't a blow up windows phone, but it is blown up and uses the screen effectively. I would get it in a heart beat.

I 100% agree with you on the apps.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I had the same feeling when I got my 1520 last month. I kept my old HTC One X android phone in case I wanted to go back. Last night, I was playing with the HTC One X after a few weeks of not using it and it felt awkward in my hands and too sluggish. So now I am convinced, I'll keep my 1520.

Cheers!

Jimmie Lee

May 5, 2014
Visit site
You sound like you're in a relationship that you don't want to be in and you're asking for relationship advice. Only you can make that calll, my friend:)

stevemind

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Been happy with WP , but its my choice and yours will be yours! Live tiles are a god send for me. Have a L630 And is a really cool phone. Went in the car phone warehouse today and had a play with the usual suspects, god android so past it and apples happy with their 1000 torch apps.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site

Oh and the camera isnt good in low light with no flash. I feel like my 5s camera can do a better job in most cases. And the front camera. Why on earth are my pics rotated horizontally?

For now on just wait for new firmware. Better wait than regret.

And for next time if you ever want to buy a phone.make sure you already know the phone. Why don't you try the display 1st before take it home.

If you ever want to replace get Lumia ICON or 930. Seriously don't get big sized phone if you don't think that you will used to it

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Nothing man! :) If you don't like it, don't use it! It's as simple as that. I moved from Android to WP so I can't tell the diff between iOS and WP. For me, moving from crapdroid was the best thing in life, although it took me week or two to adjust. I don't know what shoul happend to make me gi back. I suggest you to give it a shot, maybe install WP 8.1 over PfD program and then see if it works for you. Although, as you mention, lack of apps is your problem, I doubt 8.1 will help with that right now. Use what you like, no metter what someone else say. ;) Good luck!

gold_cup.jpg

Paul Foulkes

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I moved from a Galaxy S3mini to a 1520. Now I think all other phones are tiny and useless. At the same time as dumping the S3mini I got rid of the tablet because I don't need two devices when my one does the job because of the 6inch screen.
WP8 was far better than android. WP8.1 and cyan are streets ahead again.
The lack of apps I understand but I have been able to get by with only a choice of a few torch apps instaed of the 9000 on android, but I did find it difficult not having the choice of 5000 fart apps. I think I'll survive!

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Wait for 8.1 and don't be fooled by the lack of apps issue. They want to persuade you to leave WP, it's an excuse so people don't buy it but have you noticed that you haven't even named the apps that are missing? See they already caught you in their trap.The bloggers seem to hate it. Don't switch, wait for 8.1 and check out the apps and games reviews and the best of sections of the site, there are a lot of really great apps but the 'bloggers'(haters) don't want to talk about them.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Honestly with my WP bias aside, I completely see your point. The reasons you like the phone is exactly the reason I came back to WP (1020) from a 5S (had a 920 prior). In the end, while I'm not an app heavy user I do miss the quality apps I did use. I love WP start screen and the simplicity, however I find myself getting over those holding minor things me down to this OS. I'm running 8.1 DP and while its got great new features,from your initial post I don't think you 8 1/Cyan will please your negatives on the platform.

If you can get a full refund and another high end Android (if that's what you want) then I say go for it now before its too late. If you sell and lose a big chunk for a mid level anDroid, id say wait it out a bit because its value wont diminish too much.

While I love 8.1 add ons, after using io7 and playing around with 4.4 kitkat I find WP moving way too slowly for updates that matter to me. Luckily I mainly use My phone for calle, texting, browsing and tweeter/fb so WP is ok for now...but man is the LG G3 tempting.

Tyler Swindell

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
The apps are a problem, most apps are much slower to use than their Android/iOS counterparts. For example Facebook, tapping the search bar to search for a friend, takes a brief second, there is a lag in almost all the apps because they were made for WP7 and apps back then did not behave anywhere near as fast as the native apps did.

Even then, the apps don't get updated for a long time. They also lack basic features like 6snap doesn't instantly tell you when you have a snapchat until a half hour has passed by. Multitasking is very limited.

I come from Android, I still use Android, and I've had countless Windows Phones from the Sammy Focus, to the Focus II, to the Lumia 920, and now the 1520. I still have my Nexus 5 because of the apps. I have all the official apps, plus the unofficial apps that do more things. For example, I have the official Snapchat app, but I don't use it because I use another app just for keeping snapchats. It doesn't lack simple things like instant notification of new snapchats, and its very fast and familiar like the official app. Again Windows Phones only get 6snap, and it doesn't work that well.

I love my 1520, but the apps are a really huge problem. While Android has APKs all over the web, and you can choose between multiple stores like the play store or amazon app store, Windows Phone isn't like that.

With universal WinRT apps, 1080p phones like our 1520 will eventually have apps that scale pretty well. And these same apps will work across phone and tablet. But 95% of apps aren't made that way yet, and updated with support for 8.1 APIs isn't the same. We have a long way to go. If 8.1 doesn't cut it for you, try Android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven