Fastest/best suited 128GB+ MicroSD-card for 1520?

MartinWP

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
With the ability to install apps on external memory with the 8.1 update, I'm wondering what options there are for the 1520. 64GB doesn't feel very future proof, so the question is what options there are when it comes to more memory than that. What manufacturers have cards with that much capacity at the moment? Any cards in the pipeline worth waiting for? Would like to be playing games that are stored on the card, is that possible with todays speeds?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the marks for one myself. I know it has to be a "Class 10" or better card for it to be able to run apps from the card smoothly (from what I've heard)
To me, a 64GB SD card would be plenty, and a lot more affordable than the 128GB cards right now.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
For now SanDisk Mobile Ultra microSDXC Class 10 UHS-I 128GB is the only 128GB card in the marked, bit that's a 30MB/s card and far from the performance of fast 64GB cards.

I personally waited until the last moment for a SanDisk Extreme 128GB, or similar fast 128GB cards, but nothing have show up yet. I settled with 64Gb and just ordered a Samsung Pro microSDXC Class 10 UHS-I 90/80MB/s 64GB for better speed/App performance.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
For now SanDisk Mobile Ultra microSDXC Class 10 UHS-I 128GB is the only 128GB card in the marked, bit that's a 30MB/s card and far from the performance of fast 64GB cards.

I personally waited until the last moment for a SanDisk Extreme 128GB, or similar fast 128GB cards, but nothing have show up yet. I settled with 64Gb and just ordered a Samsung Pro microSDXC Class 10 UHS-I 90/80MB/s 64GB for better speed/App performance.

Actually read write speed depends on both the speed of the card and of the phone/device. If the phone can't support too high speeds, there's honestly no point in investing in a higher speed card, unless you probably may use it for some other device some other days.

To OP: There's only one such card on the market currently, but I don't suggest that you invest money into it, it costs a bomb!

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, as there is really only Sandisk for 128GB.. It would be Sandisk. The 128GB is fast enough to keep up with everything you throw at it, especially video. It seems suited to that. Don't place all your choice on 'data speeds'. these are often misleading. I have had 64GB cards that couldn't keep up despite being quoted a fast cards, but some 32GB cards have performed admirably.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Actually read write speed depends on both the speed of the card and of the phone/device. If the phone can't support too high speeds, there's honestly no point in investing in a higher speed card, unless you probably may use it for some other device some other days.

That's true, but the App-performance is mostly determined by small blocks ( 4K read/write and 4k Q32 read/write) speed, and that varies a lot from card to card, as illustrated in this chart:

SD-Card-Test-Results.png

The nominal speed printed on cards are Sequential read/write speed (which is used for big blocks/files like audio, video, pictures). The bus-speed of Lumia 1520 will be the bottleneck here, but it will not be a bottleneck for small blocks (which are critical for App-performance) or medium blocks which can play a role too.

High speed cards (with high nominal/Sequential speed) tend to have much better small blocks ( 4K read/write and 4k Q32 read/write) speed too, but here there is a good deal of differences between fast cards too. Amway's, the small block speed is the most important factor for App-performance.

MartinWP

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Sandisk... OK. According to their website they have three different ones. Is the SanDisk Ultra PLUS 128GB microSDXC UHS-I confirmed to work well with the 1520? I'm assuming it's better than the one without the "PLUS" in the name? What differences are there between them?

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Sandisk... OK. According to their website they have three different ones. Is the SanDisk Ultra PLUS 128GB microSDXC UHS-I confirmed to work well with the 1520? I'm assuming it's better than the one without the "PLUS" in the name? What differences are there between them?

That's a UHS-I card, and is compatible with Lumia 1520, but that's not in the marked yet.

According to SanDisk website, it's rated for 40MB/s Read and should be better, but not much better. The SanDisk Extreme is the real high-speed card but there is still no world about a 128GB Extreme on that website.

g4mbl1n

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I didn't need all the space and decided to go with the Samsung Pro 64GB card and I have had no regrets. Seems to be one of the fastest microSD cards available and I have had zero problems with pictures, smooth video, or music. Apps should always be running from internal memory anyway and if you have like 25 gigs of phone apps you may have a problem.. :amaze:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon