Still worth getting the 1520 now?

Roger Huston

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it is worth it now. In fact, we just bought one yesterday and it should be here this week.

Here is why we got it:

1. Bang for the Buck - even if a new 1525 comes out it will be $800 new and you still don't know what the differences between the ATT version and the International unlocked version would be. We got it for $471 on eBay, almost half the price a new phone will be - and who knows the timing when they finally do ship? Bird in the hand.

2. Audience: This was the more important consideration. My wife wanted the phone and she pretty much uses it just for checking email and replying to txt messages every so often - we are not big txting people. Her 920 is still fine, she just wanted the bigger phone so she could read the screen without having to switch to her reading glasses. She has very few apps, but does enjoy taking pictures. Oh and she likes Cortana.

For me, I'm going to wait and see what comes out next, but for my wife the 1520 is a good value.

Roger

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Concerning the Lumia 1520 at AT&T, I am holding out for the 32 GB model. It goads me also that AT&T insisted on the PMA wireless charging standard rather than the more common and caseless Qi standard, and then when you try to inquire about available parts today, their stores (and their online) no longer carry wireless charging accessories for the 1520.

igorhk

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
If you are more lucky than me then you should buy one :). When it works, my 1520 is a great phone, it replaces a small tablet as well. And since the 930 came out they decreased the price of the 1520 so the 1520 price is now lower than the 930. the 1520 is a way better phone than the 930 with a better screen, Sd card, better battery life. And they have the same camera (it's an excellent shooter). The size is not a problem after 2 days, the only thing about the size is I think that they made slightly too wide and if you put a cover it gets even wider. At the price they sell it now I see no reason to get a 930 instead.

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Till the time we get a better phone it is still worth a look, if not a buy. If I were in the market today looking for a phone, 1520 would be on top of my list. The specifications are great. Great camera, big high-resolution screen, pretty impressive battery life make it the best windows phone out there.

However, I do feel that the time has come for both 1020 and 1520 to get a successor. 730 and 830 are already late by almost 6 months, and any delay in a 1030 and 1530 will not be good news for micrisoft, which is sliding down in terms of market shares lately

lumia kiwi

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I had trouble typing as well with my 1520 but after the Cyan update the WordFlow keyboard had made it a breeze to type. As for the 6inch screen, honestly I wouldn't go back to a smaller screen, cheers.

legend921

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I just got my phone recently within the last week. I must say this is the best phone that I have ever had bar none. You can't win this race if you're always looking for the latest and greatest. This phone has all the toys that the latest phones have. 802.11A/C and also able to support MiraCast with the new update. The latest phones are only a slight bump up. I had already used/tried the HTC ONE M8 windows and I must say that once you have the 1520 with you for a few days in your hand, it makes the HTC feel like an iPhone. Lol. Definitely still a good buy if you're looking for a Phablet at a reasonable price.

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP but I'm on TMO so my options are a bit more limited. I missed out on the sale for the 1520.3 but I've been looking around for more deals while waiting for IFA. If I don't see anything at IFA I may have to jump carriers as I'm getting fed up with the limited selection on TMO but I love have my phone bill at $80 with 5 Gb of data with tethering.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP but I'm on TMO so my options are a bit more limited. I missed out on the sale for the 1520.3 but I've been looking around for more deals while waiting for IFA. If I don't see anything at IFA I may have to jump carriers as I'm getting fed up with the limited selection on TMO but I love have my phone bill at $80 with 5 Gb of data with tethering.

Still going on:

Nokia Lumia 1520 RM-938 32GB Smartphone A00016720 B&H Photo

Fully usable on T-Mobile.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe this is still worth it. And it was the best price I could find for it anywhere around.

Here's my reasoning.
  • T-Mo isn't bringing a flagship WP device except possibly the rumored 1525
  • If there is a 1525, what will be sacrificed to make it T-Mo's? I doubt there will be hardware additions that matter all that much, but subtractions are also likely in key areas such as microSD card slot
  • The 1520.3 or 1520 RM 938 is capable of any/all T-Mo speeds and any other GSM carrier I might want to use in the USA
  • It's Factory Unlocked
  • Either the 930 or the 1520 - these are the only two choices for me to get a significant upgrade over the 925 unless I go CDMA and that ain't happening - that's it and the 930 isn't going to work for me on T-Mo LTE no matter what I do - plus the 930 is $100 more
  • This is the last wave of true, old time Nokia builds - get one now or gamble on an uncertain future that might not see a Windows Phone of the build quality, display and photography levels Nokia is justly famed for
  • I want that 20 MP photography goodness for my upcoming trip to Italy this fall - so waiting on T-Mo to possibly disappoint me makes no sense at this date
  • Battery Life and that ultra important as well when I'm on vacation in Italy using the phone all day for Bing Translator, Here+ walking navigation, audio tours and all those photos...
  • One handed operation a concern? No problem for me as I even used my HP Veer 2 Handed. :shocked: I simply do not use phones 1 handed anyway. It's just not in my nature

So when the new beast comes in the ol' 925 will get packed up to be sold to someone who will use it.

And, yes, I got Yellow. Isn't that iconic Nokia when applied to the polycarbonate unibody?

29befe598e1105ecca02db3512a0a750.jpg

If you want a closer look at the spec: Nokia Lumia 1520 - Full phone specifications

And I'm very gratified after the fact to see some vindication for my decision here: The best Windows Phone you can buy - August 2014 | Windows Phone Central

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! Was looking for white (to go with my headphones) but it's OOS. If nothing comes from IFA, and they get white in stock, I'm ordering

Get it in yellow and FLAUNT it in a clear TPU case. That's my plan.

It's one of the biggest phones ever made. Why not go over the top? LOLz...

Yellow is in NOW and the price is pretty good at B&H. ($489.95 USD at time of writing.)

weisman87

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd say it's definitely worth it if you really want one. You can play the "waiting for the next best thing" game forever and never be happy. I quit doing that and am very happy with my 1520. I also have an extra one for sale, if anyone is interested.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I think overall it still looks like a great phone. However:

1. Screen sensitivity issue is not fixed and I have lost confidence that it will ever be
2. Not much choice of colours in the UK. Both yellow and green versions not available. Red sim-free version not widely available (as it was exclusive to o2 for a long time). That leaves only black and white!
3. The UK price has not come down much. It's still ?450+ at most places for a genuine sim-free CVUK model. Some people have got around this by importing, but then you don't get a valid warranty from Nokia UK
4. Uncertainty over whether it will be upgradeable to WP9
5. Uncertainty over whether 1525 is real or not

The big screen looks great though and micro-sd support is a very nice feature. The battery capacity looks gigantic and it works with glance unlike the Lumia 930.

Personally I am still using a Lumia 920 and kinda looking for an excuse to buy a 1520. I would be tempted if the price dropped a bit. The 1020 is now available sim free for around ?250 here, so I am surprised to see the 1520 which is of a similar age still selling for ?450!

ScruffyT

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Well, as a 920 user looking to upgrade, I'm holding out on the current 1520 in hopes of a screen fix coming , more processing power for the camera, upgraded video recording, and for wishful thinking: improved audio output and a digitizer.

sklchan

May 29, 2014
Visit site
for now i still not seeing any so call "newly" released WP devices can beat L1520 yet... all seem a downgrade released rather to say replacement for L1520... :wink:

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
4. Uncertainty over whether it will be upgradeable to WP9

LOL What???

I think you believe that everyday a new CPU is released... L1520 has one of the latest ARM CPU, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 (only MSM8974AB is faster, but only 0.1Ghz faster, basically nothing).

It is a 4 cores CPU with the latest GPU in the market (for ARM based phones). Even in 2015 it will be one of the faster CPU/GPU in the market.

Why Windows Phone 9 will not be compatible wit that phone? Can you elaborate?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers