Still worth getting the 1520 now?

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
LOL What???

I think you believe that everyday a new CPU is released... L1520 has one of the latest ARM CPU, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 (only MSM8974AB is faster, but only 0.1Ghz faster, basically nothing).

It is a 4 cores CPU with the latest GPU in the market (for ARM based phones). Even in 2015 it will be one of the faster CPU/GPU in the market.

Why Windows Phone 9 will not be compatible wit that phone? Can you elaborate?

Well, MS didn't allow WM6 phones to be upgradeable to WP7. They also didn't allow WP7 phones to be upgradeable to WP8. You could argue that there is a precedent that MS will not allow updating of phones between major versions of WP.

Some people think that you will be able to upgrade WP8 to WP9 and some think that you won't - that's why I used the word uncertain. If MS doesn't allow the upgrade, you would need to replace the 1520 after quite a short time in order to get the latest OS.

sklchan

May 29, 2014
Visit site
because all those wp7 device hardware sux big time... read its spec u will know why it's not supported when the OS got updated... this is totally different story with L1520, if L1520 hardware not able to support the future WP update this statement will make ALL yes you hear me right ALL current Windows Phone will be obsolete... the L1520 simply an awesome piece of hardware that I bet M$ currently hate Nokia for releasing it soo early... its hardware just like a PC powerhouse that have no limit for current WP OS, and the only later "excuse" that L1520 can't support would be "we need 64bits processor on this OS" and that's I'm not sure how long the way to go... :wink:

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, MS didn't allow WM6 phones to be upgradeable to WP7. They also didn't allow WP7 phones to be upgradeable to WP8. You could argue that there is a precedent that MS will not allow updating of phones between major versions of WP.

Some people think that you will be able to upgrade WP8 to WP9 and some think that you won't - that's why I used the word uncertain. If MS doesn't allow the upgrade, you would need to replace the 1520 after quite a short time in order to get the latest OS.
No that is not a correct assumption.
When they launched the windows phone 8, they prescribed a particular set of specifications in terms of hardware. It was said categorically that all windows phone 8 devices will be up-gradable to newer versions being released. With devices like 520 and 530 getting 8.1 it is evident that they are delivering on that promise. So there is absolutely no reason to believe that current crop of phones, especially the 1520, will not be compatible with Windows Phone 9.

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I won the unlocked Lumia 1520 (32GB) for 340€ in perfect condition on Ebay this Sunday. Hardwarewise I don't see anything that would let me down in the nearer future with this phone albeit considered "old" by some. Initially I wanted to await the Lumia 830 presentation but I'm pretty sure that the 830 won't be a lot cheaper when it is being released. And I doubt that it will feature comparable hardware, so hopefully that was a good decision...

Guess the first days will be crazy for me since I am coming from a 620 with a 3.8 inches screen. I bought the 620 a year ago because I thought it was better to get a cheap phone at the very beginning (I had been using an iPhone before). But since the screen of the 620 just feels too tiny in this day and age, I hope I will be able to make that transition flawlessly. Still, I have to say the 620 was an awesome device considering its price point...Will keep you posted on the first impressions of the 1520.

Last edited:

hbelton

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes, absolutely. Mine is less than a month old. The only thing keeping me from the "DOH!" palm slap to the forehead is that I was able to get a 1520.3 for less than $500. Love this phone

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site

You need to learn more about hardware, you are so wrong.

WP7 hardware can't run WP8 (uni-core, 256MB in some devices), that's the reasons Wp7 devices can't upgrade to WP8.

ScruffyT

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
for now i still not seeing any so call "newly" released WP devices can beat L1520 yet... all seem a downgrade released rather to say replacement for L1520... :wink:

Yeah, sure, this seems to be the main line of reasoning behind getting a 1520 now. And wgile I don't necessarily think it's wrong, the question is it really enough, especially for people, like me, who are coming off of two year contracts. Or what about people who are coming from a higher end Android phone. I mean, with the iPhone 5.5" and the Note 4 coming out soon, that's already enough reason for us to think twice about getting a soon to be one year old device. There's also some things that current phones appear to already have the leg up on as I mentioned in my previous post.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, sure, this seems to be the main line of reasoning behind getting a 1520 now. And wgile I don't necessarily think it's wrong, the question is it really enough, especially for people, like me, who are coming off of two year contracts. Or what about people who are coming from a higher end Android phone. I mean, with the iPhone 5.5" and the Note 4 coming out soon, that's already enough reason for us to think twice about getting a soon to be one year old device. There's also some things that current phones appear to already have the leg up on as I mentioned in my previous post.

Any touchwiz Sammy pos should not deter you from purchasing an actually well built phone that is free from all the gimmicky bloatware ;) just saying

sklchan

May 29, 2014
Visit site

That's because you looking at others OS platform... If you still prefer WP then Lumia 1520 still your only best choice for now...

Maybe it's good for me to list down why I'm getting Lumia 1520 against others phone:

1. 20MP Pureview CarlZeiss OIS camera module with physical dual stage camera button
2. 4 HAAC Mics for Rich Sound and surround sound recording
3. ClearBlack huge 1080p display
4. Huge battery with efficient OS that not random drain battery when idling
5. 32GB in build memory and 128GB supported ext SD
6. Promising hardware profile (2GB RAM, Quad S800 Proc) for future upgrade
7. A rather bright future of WP OS?? yeah I've been on free WP7, WP7.5 devices during Nokia Ranger time and following the OS improvement time to time...
8. The most tempting give me a go is the price drop on Lumia 1520 after 6 months which I can get as low as ~USD450 where all the others droid highend device won't even come close (until the Mi3 and now Mi4 from China)

I won't say the L1520 gonna be the most advance hardware device nowaday but if you are looking for WP, trust me I not really forseen M$ gonna release any killer device nowaday after the Nokia takeover... You gonna missing here and there with those rather consider as downgraded "new" devices or a super expensive "real" highend which you going to spend another 6~12 months for its price to drop... so you make the call, should you get the L1520 now or keep on with the waiting game... :wink:

Last edited:

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
That's because you looking at others OS platform... If you still prefer WP then Lumia 1520 still your only best choice for now...

Maybe it's good for me to list down why I'm getting Lumia 1520 against others phone:

1. 20MP Pureview CarlZeiss OIS camera module with physical dual stage camera button
2. 4 HAAC Mics for Rich Sound and surround sound recording
3. ClearBlack huge 1080p display
4. Huge battery with efficient OS that not random drain battery when idling
5. 32GB in build memory and 128GB supported ext SD
6. Promising hardware profile (2GB RAM, Quad S800 Proc) for future upgrade
7. A rather bright future of WP OS?? yeah I've been on free WP7, WP7.5 devices during Nokia Ranger time and following the OS improvement time to time...
8. The most tempting give me a go is the price drop on Lumia 1520 after 6 months which I can get as low as ~USD450 where all the others droid highend device won't even come close (until the Mi3 and now Mi4 from China)

I won't say the L1520 gonna be the most advance hardware device nowaday but if you are looking for WP, trust me I not really forseen M$ gonna release any killer device nowaday after the Nokia takeover... You gonna missing here and there with those rather consider as downgraded "new" devices or a super expensive "real" highend which you going to spend another 6~12 months for its price to drop... so you make the call, should you get the L1520 now or keep on with the waiting game... :wink:

Boom, there it is.

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
While the 1520 is superlative, your statement indicates you do not want "older" technology and prefer a "newer" technology. In one month, the Nokia Lumia 1520 will be one year old since it was announced last year.

The worst case scenario if you wait until after fall launch announcements (October/November since no one will launch in September against the iPhone) is a drop in price for the 1520. If a new phone (1525?) launches that you like, you get the new phone at a slightly higher price than the 1520 now. If you do not like the new model or there is no replacement announced, you get the 1520 at a holiday price.

I would only recommend a 1520 now if your current phone is inoperable or you wish to travel.

Additionally, my thinking on technology purchases is "never get yesterday's technology today". While the 1520 technology is fairly robust, why pay for last year's technology when you know this year/next year's phone is a month away? The purchase timing is well known in the CPU/OEM prebuilt market where you buy during April (barring delays, new CPU release) and August (back-to-school) and never during holiday season (dumping old inventory).

Finally, don't buy AT&T version of 1520 or its replacement. Feature removal (i.e. Qi wireless charging) and frequency support (no T-Mobile unless in refarmed area) will inhibit functionality and carrier switch. You'll want the 1520.3 (RM-938) or its equivalent upgrade.

This device was released October 2013. With the 1525 rumor mill unclear if when the next one is released, I just don't want to have this device and less than 5 months the new one is here.

I'm on att if that matters.

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
While the 1520 is superlative, your statement indicates you do not want "older" technology and prefer a "newer" technology. In one month, the Nokia Lumia 1520 will be one year old since it was announced last year.

The worst case scenario if you wait until after fall launch announcements (October/November since no one will launch in September against the iPhone) is a drop in price for the 1520. If a new phone (1525?) launches that you like, you get the new phone at a slightly higher price than the 1520 now. If you do not like the new model or there is no replacement announced, you get the 1520 at a holiday price.

I would only recommend a 1520 now if your current phone is inoperable or you wish to travel.

Additionally, my thinking on technology purchases is "never get yesterday's technology today". While the 1520 technology is fairly robust, why pay for last year's technology when you know this year/next year's phone is a month away? The purchase timing is well known in the CPU/OEM prebuilt market where you buy during April (barring delays, new CPU release) and August (back-to-school) and never during holiday season (dumping old inventory).

Finally, don't buy AT&T version of 1520 or its replacement. Feature removal (i.e. Qi wireless charging) and frequency support (no T-Mobile unless in refarmed area) will inhibit functionality and carrier switch. You'll want the 1520.3 (RM-938) or its equivalent upgrade.

Well, if they announce a successor to the 1520 you won't be able to get it for a slightly higher price. So yes, it might happen that the 1520 price drops a bit further, but it won't be a very notable difference from my perspective. And I still don't see the killer feature that a rumored 1525 would have over the 1520.

ScruffyT

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Maybe it's good for me to list down why I'm getting Lumia 1520 against others phone...

True, it's pretty much the best choice right now on WP. And, no, I don't have any plans on leaving. However, I'm not so sure it's the best choice. I've been locked into a 2 year contract for, well, 2 years already. And even though I have some 1520 envy, my 920 is still chugging along pretty darn well. So, I think someone in my position is possibly better off waiting 6 or so months for WP9 and new phones.

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, if they announce a successor to the 1520 you won't be able to get it for a slightly higher price. So yes, it might happen that the 1520 price drops a bit further, but it won't be a very notable difference from my perspective. And I still don't see the killer feature that a rumored 1525 would have over the 1520.

The killer feature would be the correction of the 1520 screen design flaw.

gabcubar

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm new here..

My beloved L920's LCD / touch pad got fried (gaming, my fault) just a couple of months ago and I find it pointless to have it repaired since the design / specs are a little bit obsolete. I usually go for the latest / highest specs available so I can use it for a long time. My siblings told me to switch to IP6 and my cuz is in favor of Note 4 but I really prefer WP OS.

I love the L930 specs and design especially the 1080p screen but it still is quite small even for 5 inches.. I'm confused since right now I'm using an ordinary phone and I'm really bored. I don't think I can wait until September for the new flagship.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro