How is your standby-battery life after 8.1 Cyan update?

Mine was usually around 0,6% in 8.0. With 8.1 Cyan, it's 2-3% What to do?
    08-07-2014 04:44 AM
    How is your standby-battery life with the Cyan update?

Mine was usually around 0,6% in 8.0. In cyan it's 2-3% What to do?
    same here,pathetic battery life on my 720,im waiting for cyan to release for my phone then ill downgrade and use 8.1 with cyan
    08-07-2014 04:46 AM
    Also have pathetic battery life on 1520
    08-07-2014 04:55 AM
    wp_ss_20140807_0001.jpg

Cyan + GDR1. Flight mode enabled.
    Jorge Espinoza likes this.
    08-07-2014 09:11 AM
    My battery life is fine. The trick is to turn off background processes that you hardly use. Some people just leave everything on, leave bluetooth on, leave NFC on, leave literally every feature on, and have syncs set really frequently, and they wonder why their battery life sucks.

I'm getting perhaps 2% drain overnight from a full charge-unplug at bedtime to the time I wake up.

tips: AMOLED screen users can get away with glance 'always on'
    IPS users should set it to 'peek' 'intermittent' or 'off'.

AMOLED users should try and use a dark theme
    IPS users are okay using a light or dark theme

- Use automatic brightness or reduce the brightness when in daylight/lit areas where possible
    - Have your syncs set as infrequently as you can get away with
    - Disable as many vibrate features as you can, including notification vibrations
    - Disable sounds when keypress/camera shutter/typing (especially disable keypress sounds as the speaker will always be on when you have a keyboard on screen)
    - Disable vibrations when the back, windows or search buttons are tapped (under touch, I believe)
    - Turn off NFC and bluetooth unless you need them
    - You can leave location on as long as you're not leaving location-based apps running in the background.
    - Try and use wi-fi where possible; in some cases it can use less battery than your data connection
    - Limit 4G (LTE) use where possible, it greatly rapes the battery compared to 3G. Only switch on 4G when you really need the extra speed.
    - Choose a shorter screen time-out time
    - Disable 'double tap to wake' and you'll save a little bit of battery. Unless you really can't live without it
    - If certain apps are power hungry it couldn't hurt to see if any alternative apps do the same thing but using less power in the process. A lot of main apps have alternatives.
    08-07-2014 01:49 PM
    My battery life is fine. The trick is to turn off background processes that you hardly use. Some people just leave everything on, leave bluetooth on, leave NFC on, leave literally every feature on, and have syncs set really frequently, and they wonder why their battery life sucks.

I'm getting perhaps 2% drain overnight from a full charge-unplug at bedtime to the time I wake up.

tips: AMOLED screen users can get away with glance 'always on'
    IPS users should set it to 'peek' 'intermittent' or 'off'.

AMOLED users should try and use a dark theme
    IPS users are okay using a light or dark theme

- Use automatic brightness or reduce the brightness when in daylight/lit areas where possible
    - Have your syncs set as infrequently as you can get away with
    - Disable as many vibrate features as you can, including notification vibrations
    - Disable sounds when keypress/camera shutter/typing (especially disable keypress sounds as the speaker will always be on when you have a keyboard on screen)
    - Disable vibrations when the back, windows or search buttons are tapped (under touch, I believe)
    - Turn off NFC and bluetooth unless you need them
    - You can leave location on as long as you're not leaving location-based apps running in the background.
    - Try and use wi-fi where possible; in some cases it can use less battery than your data connection
    - Limit 4G (LTE) use where possible, it greatly rapes the battery compared to 3G. Only switch on 4G when you really need the extra speed.
    - Choose a shorter screen time-out time
    - Disable 'double tap to wake' and you'll save a little bit of battery. Unless you really can't live without it
    - If certain apps are power hungry it couldn't hurt to see if any alternative apps do the same thing but using less power in the process. A lot of main apps have alternatives.
    You made an excellent point there with the glance feature. Since amoled blacks are basically pixels not on. Pure. But even with. Glance I get decent standby time its when using it and I have done everything you said before but then again I have only ever charged the phone once so think I am been a little to eager. I need to wait.

Anyway if an not mistaken black pixels on IPS displays are not that bad. Its whites that are bad since they use every pixel on the screen to make the white colour. This used to be the case anyway. Hard to explain.
    08-07-2014 08:49 PM
    LOL.... Sometimes I find my batt life is better if I just leave it as it is 'naturally' e.g. leaving the apps opened in the background etc. When I killed all apps in background, the batt life worsen. Recently, I disable the battery saver function and it surprised me that with this disabled, I am getting better battery life. It used to drain 20% overnight, but now it's only 1-5% at most.
    08-07-2014 09:02 PM
    with the exact same settings etc as 8.1 DP and 8.0,id say the battery life has worsened because of bugs and poor optimisation given its a beta release but dont try and cover up for this by saying we arent shutting apps and background processes so we get poor battery life
    08-08-2014 05:41 AM
    If you have done most of the battery saving techniques I suggested, there are a few other things you can try.

1. Occasionally, hold the back arrow and kill off all open apps that you're not using in the task manager. This shouldn't really be necessary as WP suspends apps that are in the background (hence the long 'resuming' times - it does this to save battery) but I'm superstitious and like to keep as few apps open as possible.
    Note that Timbre70 says doing this worsen his batt life? :S

2. Some people report unpinning Cortana, disabling battery saver to run in background, or doing hard resets improves battery life. I personally found my battery life gets better after the first few days of installing an update; this possibly has something to do with the battery display 'recalibrating' itself.

3. One user claims disabling as many feedbacks as possible ie: nokia feedback programme, send feedback to MS, touch feedback etc, has improved his battery life. I cannot back this up whatsoever but disabling these features is certainly going to save a tiny little bit of battery at the least.

4. Here's a top tip for the future: Try to never let the phone run below 20% battery. (If possible don't let it run below 50% if you have a charger nearby) because lithium technology likes to be kept 'topped-up'. At the same time don't leave it plugged in all the time. Unplug it whenever it finishes charging.
    People who tell you that its best to do deep discharge/recharge cycles are wrong. You want to keep it topped up when possible, but not excessively so.
    Chris_Germany likes this.
    08-08-2014 08:31 AM
    Mine sometime the phone is hot and reduce battery life faster
    08-08-2014 08:31 AM
    Yes my phone gets warm too, but never hot enough to cause pain, and only while playing big games like Asphalt 8.

I'm not being funny when I say that the majority of the time when people have battery problems it's because of a particular app (or two!) that they've installed that isn't correctly optimized or has a memory leak or whatnot.

If your phone gets hot when it's idle then disable all background processes, restart the phone, and see if it happens again. If it doesn't, there's a fair chance an app was doing something to cause it. If it still gets hot then you have a problem and I suggest making a warranty claim.
    yoongwaikhit likes this.
    08-08-2014 08:39 AM
    I upgraded yesterday and my battery life seemed to worsen after the update. Im hoping that its just going to take a couple of days for it to settle down internally and then it will be back to what I was getting before!
    08-10-2014 07:57 AM
    After update I don't really feel a difference in battery life, maybe a bit better because I have more options to off more stuff. However, the big bug I am experiencing is that sometimes the phone, when in lock, will get trapped in some sort of a continuous running cycle and super drain my battery. The phone will give me the loading dots animation whenever I unlock the screen and I always have to soft reset to fix it. It seems to happen once every day (twice on Friday). But other than this bug, battery life is fine for me after Cyan. Does anyone else experience the same battery drain issue?

To the list of great suggestions above I also like to add disable banner notification unless you need it. It seems (to me at least), every time something comes in the banner notification will turn on your screen so if you are in a serious whatsapp discussion your screen is going to be turning on and off. On a device like 1520, you probably do not want that. It drains my battery pretty fast. Just my $0.02.
    08-17-2014 08:42 AM
    Has anybody tried not to use live folders to prevent high battery drain
    08-17-2014 08:48 AM
    It took over a week after Cyan update, before my battery life was great, so be patient ... and a battery life is great now again (like it was with WP 8.0) - well, a battery life was not so good when I was using DP 8.1
    08-17-2014 02:35 PM
    It took over a week after Cyan update, before my battery life was great, so be patient ... and a battery life is great now again (like it was with WP 8.0) - well, a battery life was not so good when I was using DP 8.1
    I'm hoping for this.

I was on DP8.1. Then downgraded to 8.0 via Nokia Software Recovery, installed Cyan and re-enrolled in DP to get 8.1.1. My battery on DP8.1 was not stellar but lasted from morning to night. Now 3 days after all of this, my battery is behaving very erratic. At 100% it displays 8 hours remaining. The battery apps display crazy discharge rate with mild use. With that rate, I shouldn't be able to last 3 hours, but the battery life remaining is like 6 hours.

I hope it gets settled/recalibrated/wherever it needs to get to, quickly. Anybody else seeing this inconsistent behavior?
    08-17-2014 07:50 PM
    After Update 1 my battery life has improved significantly/
    Jaripi likes this.
    08-17-2014 09:18 PM
    Doesn't glance option yield better battery if put on to be activated by handwave? On amoled that is.. If always on, there is always some leds on, which means more battery eaten up?
    08-18-2014 08:24 AM