08-17-2014 09:56 PM
103 1234 ...
tools
    You know before going to upgrade u have to read the update description...It your fault for installing the update anyway u can revert to WP8 by using nokia recovery tool...Good luck and make sure to backup before reverting...
    seriously.. with all the blogs yapping about how great WP8.1 is everyone would want to give it a try.. with regard to features.. they come at a price STABILITY.. WP8.0 was a more stable OS compared to 8.1, when you click on an app it used to just show up and we can start using now its either the splash screen or 'resuming...' or 'loading..' or just blank screens for a few seconds then the content actually starts loading(which takes a few seconds after that)..
    it used to be a fast and fluid OS.. now its just slooooooooowwwww and irritating to use
    Rob00000 likes this.
    08-09-2014 11:24 AM
    seriously.. with all the blogs yapping about how great WP8.1 is everyone would want to give it a try.. with regard to features.. they come at a price STABILITY.. WP8.0 was a more stable OS compared to 8.1, when you click on an app it used to just show up and we can start using now its either the splash screen or 'resuming...' or 'loading..' or just blank screens for a few seconds then the content actually starts loading(which takes a few seconds after that)..
    it used to be a fast and fluid OS.. now its just slooooooooowwwww and irritating to use
    Infuriating, really? There are a lot more things to get rightfully upset about, don't get infuriated over a phone.
    08-09-2014 11:26 AM
    I feel for you mate, but I think the new calender is way better -- I can see everything at a glance. However, what I don't like is as follows:

It seems like Microsoft has tried to fix things that aren't broken, while trying to implement new features. This has resulted in a mess in some parts of the OS. One example is the new toggle to stop apps running in the background -- it's stupid which makes simple tasks take longer, and I'll tell you why.

As far as I'm aware, now I have to go to:

settings > battery saver > usage > click app > toggle switch off.

Whereas, before it was:

settings > swipe applications > background tasks > app > block > tick box to turn background tasks back on, when the app is reopened.

Some members may look and say the new way has one less step.

However, in reality it isn't. For example, when I use MetroTube I like to lock my screen when I'm only listening to lectures, as I don't need to watch the video. The updated way of doing things doesn't allow it, if it's toggled off. So I have to go back through all those steps to enable background tasks, so MetroTube plays the video in the background. This means it takes 10 steps to do what it took 6 to do before the update -- because it automatically enabled background tasks.

I hope I'm wrong and somebody can show me a simpler way of doing things with new way, than the the old method. If not, this proves Microsoft have messed it up by not studying real life usage. Therefore, this isn't making my life easier, which I thought it would do.
    You are just one of them get used to whatever they throw on you, which is a complement.

But in fact, the new categorizing is much more straight forward to the mass.

However I do agree they changed other things which is not essential while left out the most wanted.
    08-09-2014 11:34 AM
    I have had zero crashes or lag. WP 8.1 is great and not counting apps puts the OS right on par with IOS.
    08-09-2014 11:56 AM
    You too old for this s#&%. :)
    Are you supposed to be funny? And old folks are not justified in having a well detailed opinion?

Were you even born when I started using computers? (1988) Or, cellular services in a car phone? (1985)

Oh, and let me correct your grammar. That should be "You're", not "You."

Pretty arrogant for someone still dribbling snot from their nose.
    Last edited by Paul Verizzo; 08-10-2014 at 08:58 AM.
    Al4video and Rob00000 like this.
    08-09-2014 12:08 PM
    I recently got a message on my phone saying my 1520 had updates available. I updated to 8.1 & honestly I am beyond disappointed. Not for nothing, but I don't know why everyone wants so badly to upgrade to 8.1. It sucks! The calender changed & I liked it the way it was before when I had 8.0. My camera changed with the 8.1 upgrade & I'm having a hard time understanding how to use it. I can take pictures, yes, but the settings, etc. are very hard to understand now. With 8.0 I could touch the screen anywhere & it would take a picture. Now, there's only a small spot you have to touch. With 8.0 I could turn off the flash whenever I wanted. I have no clue how to do it now. Honestly, I hate everything about 8.1. I enjoy my phone much less. And, what is Cortana & how come it won't allow me to delete it from my phone? I wish it would just go away! Is there a way I can go back to 8.0? I really loved my 1520 when I bought it. I've owned a 900 & I still own a 920 but 8.1 has ruined my 1520. What is so great about 8.1? I can't even scroll to the next day on my calender like I used to with 8.0. No! It stops at 11pm! My tasks are harder to access as well. Who designed this dog of an update? Give me back 8.0!!!
    After reading what ever you have said, I don't think you would cope well with WP going forward as you aren't flexible with changes. I think you need to switch to another OS. Please don't get me wrong, but WP8.1 is infinitely better to WP8.
    neo158 likes this.
    08-09-2014 12:13 PM
    huh? you're the first person that say they don't like 8.1 compared to 8.0 and every single major thing 8.1 improved you hated.
    sounds like you're very change-averse and doesn't want to learn new things.
    Private Nemesis, Jazmac and neo158 like this.
    08-09-2014 12:13 PM
    From reading your post, I think your actual gripe is not knowing how to use the windows 8.1 and its changes. I would suggest looking up several how to's, there are plenty of article on Wpcentral. I have taught many users like yourself (The got a new laptop thus running Windows 8.0+ when their previous pc / laptop ran XP or 7 or upgraded from a feature phone to Windows phone [you may say that was a bias recommendation ]) and trust me when I say - you will enjoy your device even more and it's new features when you know how to utilise them.

I would suggest you spend the time going through the following
    Lumia Cyan | Windows Phone Central

By downgrading your actually devaluing your phone by a large margin, 8.1 adds an insane amount of features. Furthermore by downgrading and remaining on 8.0 you will no longer get any GDR updates as they will be installed on Windows phone 8.1 as a base core. In addition to this your favourite apps may require windows phone 8.1 in the future.

As for ticking off "automatically download updates" does not mean you will not get pestered about the update - you will receive a notification per day about the pending update. (I have Build 12400.899 and get error 0x8088308 which means I cannot update to GDR1 until MS address it - I have automatically downloads updates turned off).

To turn Cortana off or uninstall (delete), do the following:
    1) Turn on Location
    2) Go to Settings - Applications - Cortana - turn off
    3) You will need to restart the phone and upon the restarting the phone you should be promoted to either to turn off or delete if not go back into the same settings under applications (if you choose the latter option other than a hard reset I'm not sure who else you may get her back - if you changed your mind)

wp_ss_20140809_0001.png
    HeyCori, neo158 and rdubmu like this.
    08-09-2014 12:29 PM
    However, in reality it isn't. For example, when I use MetroTube I like to lock my screen when I'm only listening to lectures, as I don't need to watch the video. The updated way of doing things doesn't allow it, if it's toggled off. So I have to go back through all those steps to enable background tasks, so MetroTube plays the video in the background. This means it takes 10 steps to do what it took 6 to do before the update -- because it automatically enabled background tasks.

I hope I'm wrong and somebody can show me a simpler way of doing things with new way, than the the old method. If not, this proves Microsoft have messed it up by not studying real life usage. Therefore, this isn't making my life easier, which I thought it would do.
    If understand you correctly, all you need to do is slide down to bring up the notification screen. Then select "Rotation Lock" in the upper right.
    08-09-2014 12:47 PM
    I recently got a message on my phone saying my 1520 had updates available. I updated to 8.1 & honestly I am beyond disappointed. Not for nothing, but I don't know why everyone wants so badly to upgrade to 8.1. It sucks! The calender changed & I liked it the way it was before when I had 8.0. My camera changed with the 8.1 upgrade & I'm having a hard time understanding how to use it. I can take pictures, yes, but the settings, etc. are very hard to understand now. With 8.0 I could touch the screen anywhere & it would take a picture. Now, there's only a small spot you have to touch. With 8.0 I could turn off the flash whenever I wanted. I have no clue how to do it now. Honestly, I hate everything about 8.1. I enjoy my phone much less. And, what is Cortana & how come it won't allow me to delete it from my phone? I wish it would just go away! Is there a way I can go back to 8.0? I really loved my 1520 when I bought it. I've owned a 900 & I still own a 920 but 8.1 has ruined my 1520. What is so great about 8.1? I can't even scroll to the next day on my calender like I used to with 8.0. No! It stops at 11pm! My tasks are harder to access as well. Who designed this dog of an update? Give me back 8.0!!!
    Honestly, this strikes me as snark, but I'll give it the benefit of doubt. Here are some specific answers/responses:

Calendar day switching: the 8.0 app treated time as a single linear list. As such, moving forward two days involved lots of scrolling. Now, the calendar is two dimensional instead of one. To see the next days, swipe left or right. This should be obvious for a WP user because the calendar app looks just like any pivot app where left/right swiping is used. The new calendar now provides usable week and month views and tapping on a day expands it to show the details of the day, sort of like the old Agenda view.

Tasks (in calendar): Since the calendar now uses left/right swiping to switch days, the Tasks list isn't something that you can swipe to. As you've already seen, it's in the Pp menu that you get by tapping the ... menu at the bottom of the screen. I would hope that Microsoft makes it possible to have Tasks pinnacle as a tile.

Cortland vs Bing: (someone already addressed this)

Camera use: I don't know what they were thinking, but recall that you have a physical camera button.
    08-09-2014 12:59 PM
    This is a strange thread, and I think it's derived from the habits you gained from using 8.0. 8.1 only improved 8.0, and while there are several problems and bugs, you must remember that this is a new update. The future updates are expected to fix these problems, and things such as greater battery drain are down to optimization. This new interface hasn't been quite polished to the point 8.0 was, but again, new update!
    I suggest at least trying it out. Take some time to go through the Settings and trying out all the new features. Play with Cortana and use her to schedule things on your calendar, and so on. If you don't like her turn her off, but she can be darn useful. Play with the Action Center and set things to notify you and set quick settings. Take a nice picture of something(avoid anything with white in it) and set it as your background. Get to know your way around the more customizable and flexible interface of 8.1 and let it become polished. If you don't like it after actually using it, go back to 8.0, but you'll practically nullify your phone and make it obsolete.
    Give it a chance first.
    JamesPTao, neo158 and Rob00000 like this.
    08-09-2014 01:27 PM
    This is a strange thread, and I think it's derived from the habits you gained from using 8.0. 8.1 only improved 8.0, and while there are several problems and bugs, you must remember that this is a new update. The future updates are expected to fix these problems, and things such as greater battery drain are down to optimization. This new interface hasn't been quite polished to the point 8.0 was, but again, new update!
    I suggest at least trying it out. Take some time to go through the Settings and trying out all the new features. Play with Cortana and use her to schedule things on your calendar, and so on. If you don't like her turn her off, but she can be darn useful. Play with the Action Center and set things to notify you and set quick settings. Take a nice picture of something(avoid anything with white in it) and set it as your background. Get to know your way around the more customizable and flexible interface of 8.1 and let it become polished. If you don't like it after actually using it, go back to 8.0, but you'll practically nullify your phone and make it obsolete.
    Give it a chance first.
    People do no like what they do no understand or comprehend as it is foreign or alien to them. Once they have had a chance to process, understand and ultimately learn, in this case the flow of actions to accomplish certain tasks. They ease up, relax and learn to appreciate the new functions thus beginning the cycle of exploration and experimentation in social enviroments (getting a miracast adapter and using "project my display" to show photos, videos on their tv to family members for example). As it builds their confidence with-in one self, which is key to anything imo as without confidence there is no motivation or desire to learn or understand.
    08-09-2014 01:42 PM
    My camera changed with the 8.1 upgrade & I'm having a hard time understanding how to use it. I can take pictures, yes, but the settings, etc. are very hard to understand now. With 8.0 I could touch the screen anywhere & it would take a picture.
    It sounds like Nokia Camera has become the default camera app. The standard camera app (which is still listed as Camera) still allows you to tap anywhere on the screen. You can change the default camera in the settings menu.
    08-09-2014 01:44 PM
    I have had zero crashes or lag. WP 8.1 is great and not counting apps puts the OS right on par with IOS.
    Same here. No Lag. No crash.
    08-09-2014 02:24 PM
    I hate to say it but just the rant about the camera tells me you have no clue how to operate your own phone.
    08-09-2014 02:28 PM
    Like a few others have said and what I observed, the OP shows me that the author is used to 8.0 and has no clue what's going on with 8.1. For savvy users (like me and others), it's awesome. To people like the author and my dad, it's confusing and complicated because it's a change from the norm. I can suggest this app that would help you know the features and hidden gems of 8.1:

Help+Tips (beta) | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    WP Answers | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

This will at least get you started on what's new on 8.1.Also, there's a community like us that are willing to help with whatever you're having problems with.

8.1 in my opinion is light years away from 8.0, but I can see how it can be overwhelming to some that are not tech savvy like others.
    08-09-2014 02:45 PM
    Dear OP: I understand your frustrations. Over many years I've been dragged, for instance, from PC connection to my Nokia phones with Outlook to this whole cloud thing. It's the way it is, eventually you cannot stay where you are without just giving it all up.

My experience with 8.1 is diametrically opposite of yours. For me, the new notification center and related Glance notifications made WP close to perfect. I remember less than a year ago when the reality was I might have missed a call or a text and my 810 screen was just black. I also like all the other options in Settings.

Is WP perfect? No. Neither is Android or iOS. Over some fifteen years of PCS phones and OS's, I still think of the Nokia 9290 as my favorite phone, despite limitations that today we would not accept. I can live in the past, or I can (ften reluctantly) move along.
    08-09-2014 08:44 PM
    Eh? I think OP is just resistant to change. The only two things about 8.1 that I'm not pleased with is the added battery life hit (but this is to be expected with all the new features) and the slightly poorer integration with social networking.

In calendar's day view, swipe left or right to change day.

In camera, why tap to shoot? Use the shutter button where possible to reduce jitter when taking shots. In Nokia Pro Cam, tapping the screen chooses a new focus point. Select the old Camera app as default if you prefer using that. And turning the flash off - well there's guides showing you how.

People have already told you how to disable Cortana.

I think you should have looked into these features, how to work them, or disable them a bit before coming here to complain, my friend.
    08-09-2014 08:54 PM
    Some people struggle with change. 8.1 actually brought me back to WP.
    No more galaxy forums Buddy?

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    08-09-2014 09:31 PM
    Summary: Some people don't like change.

Solution: Don't ever upgrade.

Alternative: Learn the new features. While there are some things that don't work as well, others are much better and others like Cortana are simply amazing when you really get into it. You pointed out one aspect of the new calendar you don't like - engage Microsoft through UserVoice to add these back in. For many of us the new features in calendar outweigh the lost features. There are even hidden advantages you may not appreciate - like the fact that core functions are now apps (like the calendar) and can easily be enhanced and updated.
    08-09-2014 10:02 PM
    Bottom line, some people are resistance to changes. They feel overwhelmed by tons of great changes offered by MS this time. And that's why iPhone users are still using the same old UI over and over again, yet iPhone is still the most popular OS out there. I read some of you are turned off by the number of steps one has to take in order to disable background tasks. But looking from another angle, now we have a stand alone app - Battery Saver which allows more fine tuning than the old method. And moving forward, the app can be improved further by MS going forward, WITHOUT the need to wait for OS patches. And thankfully, we can now even filter by apps that can run in background, which is not possible before. Ain't that wonderful after all?

We are challenged by different changes in life, everyday. Instead of complaining, why not embrace them and learn how things work? I'm seeing novice users capable of customizing Android here and there with different launchers, etc and yet some WP users are unable to cope with the user friendly features from Windows Phone 8.1? I feel sorry for them.
    neo158 likes this.
    08-09-2014 10:07 PM
    Are you supposed to be funny? And old folks are justified in having a well detailed opinion?

Were you even born when I started using computers? (1988) Or, cellular services in a car phone? (1985)

Oh, and let me correct your grammar. That should be "You're", not "You."

Pretty arrogant for someone still dribbling snot from their nose.
    Just because he insulted someone doesn't mean you should be doing the same to him. If you were truly wise, you would know better.

On topic, I think the OP just doesn't want everything to be overhauled on him; he just doesn't want to have to learn new things when he's content with the old stuff. A simple flash back to 8.0 with NSU or Nokia Software Recovery Tool would probably be his best bet.

Switching to another OS seems to be overkill.
    k72 likes this.
    08-09-2014 10:28 PM
    You got all that hate from camera and cortana? You can uninstall Nokia camera and turn cortana off and keep your phone work faster and snappier with the firmware update that came with 8.1.

Before hating, try reading the instructions first. If it didn't work, read it again from the top till you get it.
    Last edited by badr0b0t; 08-09-2014 at 10:44 PM.
    08-09-2014 10:33 PM
    You got all that hate from camera and cortana? You can uninstall Nokia camera and turn cortana off and keep your phone work faster and snappier with the firmware update that came with 8.1.
    I can't comment on the Nokia Camera, but from my experience, turning off Cortana, or any system app for that matter, doesn't actually turn it off. :P
    08-09-2014 10:37 PM
    huh? you're the first person that say they don't like 8.1 compared to 8.0 and every single major thing 8.1 improved you hated.
    sounds like you're very change-averse and doesn't want to learn new things.
    hes-right-you-know.jpg
    colinkiama and Guytronic like this.
    08-10-2014 02:38 AM
103 1234 ...