Serious dislikes with the 8.1 upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alses

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I find a Zen attitude towards change is helpful.
Do I like all the changes in WP 8.1? No.
Will I get used to those, and maybe appreciate them later? Probably yes.

Being annoyed or angry is exhausting. Things change and that’s exciting! :smile:

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
It's funny... When I first installed 8.1 in the dev preview there were a few things that turned me off (nothing to the extent of the complaints in this topic but a few things that I missed).

However a few days ago I had to use 8.0 and I just don't know how I ever made it without 8.1. :D

And now with 8.1 Update... There is no way I can go back to having no live folders. :D

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
8.1 is a jump to what WP should have been a long time ago but better late than never. Definitely a big upgrade from 8.0 and I look forward to see what Microsoft have in mind for Windows Phone 9

Arlan Henry

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
My only issue with 8.1 is that WhatsApp lost 2/3 of my favourites and I got a status message saying that Whatsapp isn't compatible with my OS. I guess that will be sorted out in further updates.

I like 8.1

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I've been pretty happy with 8.1 and Cyan, I've had minimal issues, although I don't care about Cortana and don't use it. The only annoyance left is the touchscreen issues with the 1520, but at this point I'm guessing that can't be rectified.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I've been pretty happy with 8.1 and Cyan, I've had minimal issues, although I don't care about Cortana and don't use it. The only annoyance left is the touchscreen issues with the 1520, but at this point I'm guessing that can't be rectified.
I turned Cortana Off... So much hype for an app that I really don't care at all in my 1520.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I find a Zen attitude towards change is helpful.
Do I like all the changes in WP 8.1? No.
Will I get used to those, and maybe appreciate them later? Probably yes.

Being annoyed or angry is exhausting. Things change and that’s exciting! :smile:

I find the modern Windows too "Zen" overly "Zen" 'cos many essential icons are missing. Instead they used just wordings (without even the underlined hyperlink or bold) which may cause confusion. Sometimes you wonder if these are "pressable" or "not pressable" functions on screen. LOL........

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I turned Cortana Off... So much hype for an app that I really don't care at all in my 1520.

Well I refuse to talk to machines, it makes me feel like a moron. When I call a customer service number and a computerized voice says, "you can say blah blah", I say "you can go #*$% yourself". Then I start pressing buttons on the phone until I get a human. It takes a while because the machine keeps saying stuff like, "I'm sorry, I didn't understand that, let's try again". Usually it gives up eventually and transfers you to a person. So I don't talk to Cortana either.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Well I refuse to talk to machines, it makes me feel like a moron. When I call a customer service number and a computerized voice says, "you can say blah blah", I say "you can go #*$% yourself". Then I start pressing buttons on the phone until I get a human. It takes a while because the machine keeps saying stuff like, "I'm sorry, I didn't understand that, let's try again". Usually it gives up eventually and transfers you to a person. So I don't talk to Cortana either.

Still writing with chisels and stone tablets too? Come on man, soon you'll be left behind living in a cave if you can't talk to machines. :)

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

I prefer talking to machines. Humans are overrated.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

If you turn it off, your Quiet Hours won't work, FYI. I'm not in the habit of using Cortana, but the few times I have, I was absolutely amazed. For some reason, the voice to text SEEMS to work better than on SMS. Go figger.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

There's a HUGE philosophical and practical difference between a Customer Disservice phone tree - I fully agree with you - and Cortana. I hardly use the latter, but it's pretty amazing. Don't let your bias interfere from enjoying your phone.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I recently got a message on my phone saying my 1520 had updates available. I updated to 8.1 & honestly I am beyond disappointed. Not for nothing, but I don't know why everyone wants so badly to upgrade to 8.1. It sucks! The calender changed & I liked it the way it was before when I had 8.0. My camera changed with the 8.1 upgrade & I'm having a hard time understanding how to use it. I can take pictures, yes, but the settings, etc. are very hard to understand now. With 8.0 I could touch the screen anywhere & it would take a picture. Now, there's only a small spot you have to touch. With 8.0 I could turn off the flash whenever I wanted. I have no clue how to do it now. Honestly, I hate everything about 8.1. I enjoy my phone much less. And, what is Cortana & how come it won't allow me to delete it from my phone? I wish it would just go away! Is there a way I can go back to 8.0? I really loved my 1520 when I bought it. I've owned a 900 & I still own a 920 but 8.1 has ruined my 1520. What is so great about 8.1? I can't even scroll to the next day on my calender like I used to with 8.0. No! It stops at 11pm! My tasks are harder to access as well. Who designed this dog of an update? Give me back 8.0!!!

I deal with people like you at work every day. I always say the same thing. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS before you start complaining. In other words, if you don't know how to use something, learn.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Still writing with chisels and stone tablets too? Come on man, soon you'll be left behind living in a cave if you can't talk to machines. :)

Hey that's insulting, I'm way past chisels and tablets. I upgraded long ago to papyrus and make my own ink from soot and various plant extracts. It does make a mess in my cave though.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
For me its very good change. The WordFlow, the ability of third party calendars to edit and delete appointments many more things are quite wonderful. I really like simple calendar and the ability to edit without going back inti the stock calendar is magnificent. Its a matter of personal preference like more and more things in WP 8.1.1.

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm not all that enthused about 8.1 either. Most of the new stuff is things I don't care about very much, like Cortana or Bluetooth 4.0. I use a 925 so putting apps on the SD card is a non-issue. The swiping keyboard is nice and the action center could be handy if it was better integrated, but instead it just fills up with old WhatsApp and MetroMail notifications when I use it. I also get lots of "Resuming" which I never had on Black.

I'm back on 8.0 now but it is (obnoxiously) bugging me every day to update with no way to disable checking, so I suppose at some point I'll give in and try again. Hopefully some of the apps I use will have been updated to work better with 8.1 by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786