1520 UK CV Cyan ROM Available

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The full WP 8.1 Cyan ROM is now available via Nokia Software Recovery Tool.....

Just flash the ROM.. No more upgrading from WP8 OTA... Enjoy!!!

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I know. But I would prefer to have a 'native' ROM as a clean slate rather than have the OTA upgrade f**k up anything.
I have always found that a native ROM works better than an 'upgrade'.

It's up to you if you want to do it. I just wanted to let everyone know, if they didn't already.

Cheers!!!

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I know. But I would prefer to have a 'native' ROM as a clean slate rather than have the OTA upgrade f**k up anything.
I have always found that a native ROM works better than an 'upgrade'.

It's up to you if you want to do it. I just wanted to let everyone know, if they didn't already.

Cheers!!!

Shame they can't release the firmware this way instead... would save a lot of hassle, methinks.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Well....

Trying out this 8.1 / Cyan base ROM, and it is lightning quick. A lot smoother than the OTA version.
Phantom taps are also a lot, lot better. I think I have had one (the WP Central app) in the last 4 hours or so. This is more like it... Smoooooth.....
The OTA was smooth, but this just feels more like the speed of WP8. No lag at all.

Love it. Thanks MS!!!!

Now.. to install GDR1...

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
That sounds good.

Is it a good idea to Hard Reset before flashing the new room, or it's not necessary?

I'm thinking to Backup only my text-messages and let everything else go. I can reinstall Apps from Store, and have a copy of all my photo, video and Audio on local computer that I can copy over later. Am I missing something?

Even older Nokia Software Recovery Tool installation will get the latest Rom form Nokia server, right?

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
That sounds good.

Is it a good idea to Hard Reset before flashing the new room, or it's not necessary?

I'm thinking to Backup only my text-messages and let everything else go. I can reinstall Apps from Store, and have a copy of all my photo, video and Audio on local computer that I can copy over later. Am I missing something?

Even older Nokia Software Recovery Tool installation will get the latest Rom form Nokia server, right?

I would make sure you have NSR Tool 1.4.3. That is the current version. An older version may not find the Cyan ROM. Not sure about that.

ROM version you are looking for, if an update is available is: 02061.00066.14253.40001 or a variation of that depending on country, but look for the 40001 at the end of the ROM string.

I don't bother with a hard reset. Flashing a completely new ROM onto your device completely wipes the device. Way better than the hard reset method. With the flash, you are getting a true 'factory' reset.... As if it left the factory in that state.

Text backup and copying over audio, video etc is the way I normally go. I'm not worried about system or app settings. So I would do that. As you say, apps can always be installed from scratch.
I wouldn't restore from a backup either. Rules out any problems.

Your text backups are seperate, so you should be good to go...

As I said this base ROM is quick... So quick it's doing things before I even think of them.. Ha ha ha!!!!

Last edited:

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I flashed to 02061.00066.14253.40001, it was strait forward, fast and easy.

I have installed most of my Apps, directly from store, but still working on it.

My first impression is that everything feels smooth and much more snappy, but I need more time to conclude.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I flashed to 02061.00066.14253.40001, it was strait forward, fast and easy.

I have installed most of my Apps, directly from store, but still working on it.

My first impression is that everything feels smooth and much more snappy, but I need more time to conclude.

Definitely snappier. Base ROMs always are. Same with Amber and Black.

This is how WP 8.1 should perform. I haven't come across a lag or stutter yet...

liam-ward

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
So I am running the O2 variant of 8.1 and I would prefer the country variant for the red 1520. How do I go about getting the rom? I have NRT installed but it keeps downloading the O2 variant?

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Here's the link for the 1520 CV (Red) 8.1/Cyan ROM:

Free Download Firmwares Nokia Lumia 1520 RM-937 Product Code 059V4K1 MrCrab.Net

1 - Download all the files and rename each one by removing the checksum and underscore (_) from the beginning of the filename.
The file "NWP8_simlock_3gstandard_bb5_crcA59A.bin" does not need to be renamed, so leave at it is.

2 - Copy all files to "C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products\RM-937"

3 - Use Nokia Care Suite to flash the ROM.

Enjoy.....

liam-ward

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Here's the link for the 1520 CV (Red) 8.1/Cyan ROM:

Free Download Firmwares Nokia Lumia 1520 RM-937 Product Code 059V4K1 MrCrab.Net

1 - Download all the files and rename each one by removing the checksum and underscore (_) from the beginning of the filename.
The file "NWP8_simlock_3gstandard_bb5_crcA59A.bin" does not need to be renamed, so leave at it is.

2 - Copy all files to "C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products\RM-937"

3 - Use Nokia Care Suite to flash the ROM.

Enjoy.....

AMAZING! Thanks for this. I should get it back tomorrow (from repair) so I will have a go then :)

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
No worries, mate.

These base ROMS work way better than the OTA updates. A couple of days using it has confirmed that. Plus those 'phantom tap' issues are very few.
Only happens rarely in the WP Central app so far....

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I suppose the base ROM is like a brand new pair of shoes. The OTA is like a 'repaired' pair of shoes. They work well, but you can't beat brand new.

That's the only metaphor I can liken to it. Anyway. Cyan/8.1 is working flawlessly for me now....

liam-ward

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for this. Think I will have a good later on now i have my phone back. I've been wanting to debrand this phone from O2 for a while so I can get the updates quicker. Just a quick question, whats a checksum? i'm at work so i can't downlaod the files yet

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The checksum is numbers and letters and an underscore (_) before the actual filename. I will try and give you a list of what the filenames should be later, if you aren't confident about what to rename them to....

liam-ward

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
The checksum is numbers and letters and an underscore (_) before the actual filename. I will try and give you a list of what the filenames should be later, if you aren't confident about what to rename them to....

I'm not 100% confident, slightly terrified I will bugger up the phone, but I'm willing to give it a try. Would this mean I get my update from Microsoft/Nokia and don't have to wait for O2 to check and send them?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans