Nokia Software Recovery Bricked my 1520

howetechnical

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Have your tried, connecting after quickly disconnecting whilst in the tool? (old blackberry trick)

I'm not sure if it will work as I haven't had a bricked device or a bricked device to test on.

Thanks, I tried this and while it didn't do the trick, it led me to try the regular way again through the, "My phone does not start up or respond" button. I plugged the phone in again, the PC didn't give the usual "Unknown device" message, and NSR actually said that the selected phone is not supported by Nokia Software Recovery. Getting somewhere at least.

dinchy87

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
In the time of WP7 i had an HTC and it was possible to do this via a Goldcard. Is something similar possible with WP8?! something like downloading a stock ROM, and flashing it with this utility. So basically the same method like Nokia Software Recovery but without it. NSR recognizes the Phone and it starts the flash on its own. Maybe with Nokia Care Suite you can do the same?! Downlaod the ROM, flash it with it?!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I tried this and while it didn't do the trick, it led me to try the regular way again through the, "My phone does not start up or respond" button. I plugged the phone in again, the PC didn't give the usual "Unknown device" message, and NSR actually said that the selected phone is not supported by Nokia Software Recovery. Getting somewhere at least.

I see, If that doesn't work try using the nokia care suite (it is one of the links in the thread below) or trying reflashing (process is also in the thread below)?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/239797-guide-flash-convert-t-lumia-920-indian-other-country-920-w-official-lumia-black-gdr3.html

Lastly, I presume you have already tried manually updating the drivers?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, my daily driver and main tinkering device is an Android as well (right now I have the OnePlus One 64GB, but also the Galaxy S5, S4, and previously the Note 3, Nexus devices, etc). I'm a regular on XDA, and fortunately know that ecosystem extremely well. Made my own ROMs, dabbled in writing custom firmware, etc. Never bricked any devices simply because I always had a backup plan on how to recover any changes, since Android allows that control. Windows phone, not so much that I've found.

The thing is that it's way more easier to brick an Android device than it is to brick a Windows Phone and that's why you find more tools for device recovery.

What happened to you is a rare case but I do remember someone else who experienced a similar issue but he purposely did something stupid. There was this guy who force flashed Lumia Cyan on his 1520 from another country and he lost 4G on his device forever.

I'm pretty sure that your 1520 can be recovered but the tools to do so won't be available to users like you, you will have to get it repaired from a Nokia Care Center. Also given the fact that you didn't mess with the device yourself you could also claim warranty.I myself own a Nexus 5 though I was looking to get a OnePlusOne, I have no complaints though, I've rooted this device but eventually went back to stock and reset the tamper flag.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The thing is that it's way more easier to brick an Android device than it is to brick a Windows Phone and that's why you find more tools for device recovery.

What happened to you is a rare case but I do remember someone else who experienced a similar issue but he purposely did something stupid. There was this guy who force flashed Lumia Cyan on his 1520 from another country and he lost 4G on his device forever.

I'm pretty sure that your 1520 can be recovered but the tools to do so won't be available to users like you, you will have to get it repaired from a Nokia Care Center. Also given the fact that you didn't mess with the device yourself you could also claim warranty.I myself own a Nexus 5 though I was looking to get a OnePlusOne, I have no complaints though, I've rooted this device but eventually went back to stock and reset the tamper flag.

I agree, it is easier to brick an Android phone than it is to brick windows phone, both myself and older bro used to be always flashing the latest roms etc.. I am out of that phase and now so is he.

Also like SalmanAhmad said if nothing works, you will need to take it Nokia Care as they have better tools.

SalmanAhmad, I doubt you will ever be able to get hold of a OnePlusOne as purchase is only via invite only and plus they have opted to use no retail chains or resellers to "sell" the device.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I agree, it is easier to brick an Android phone than it is to brick windows phone, both myself and older bro used to be always flashing the latest roms etc.. I am out of that phase and now so is he.

Also like SalmanAhmad said if nothing works, you will need to take it Nokia Care as they have better tools.

SalmanAhmad, I doubt you will ever be able to get hold of a OnePlusOne as purchase is only via invite only and plus they have opted to use no retail chains or resellers to "sell" the device.

I am also out of the phase of flashing Custom ROMs because I feel that stock Android itself has most of everything I need.

Even if OnePlusOne magically becomes available everywhere now, I still won't be able to get it as I've spent my money but I'm quite happy with the Nexus 5.

The only small problem I have was with video recording, because it recorded audio in Mono turns out there was a root tweak to enable stereo sound but it isn't available anymore.

I went to a protest yesterday and the camera, even video recording and sound quality was pretty amazing despite being Mono.

Oh and Google boasted something about adding 8 Megapixel bursts at 30 FPS on the Nexus 5, if that is true maybe the camera sensor is also 4K capable?

If the stereo sound recording tweak or 4k enabling tweaks show up on XDA I am so rooting mine again. 😀

But I am going a bit off-topic, sorry.

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
And this is why I did not ride the DP bandwagon when I got my 1520 HK variant on amazon.ca. I anticipated the problems when switching to the official Cyan release.
And just over a month later, the official update was on the air.

Hope someone will come to your rescue.
Did you contact Nokia?

howetechnical

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Well, the battery completely drained so I plugged it back in while holding volume down. Nada, not even the PC recognizing something plugged in anymore. Gave it 5 more minutes to charge up, plugged it into a charging-only port in the wall while holding volume down, and the rear LED flash started strobing like a disco party, hah. Can't get that to happen anymore and nothing else is happening either.

It's still in warranty on Nokia's (Microsoft's) site, so I'll just send it in tomorrow.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
That maybe the best thing to do, contact MS / Nokia and send it in.

I hope you had backed up your data before you began the process.

ronnyk

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I had the 8.1 preview for developers installed for a while, and tonight used the NSR to update the device to the most recent official firmware. It detected my phone, I allowed the firmware version it said it could do, then walked away for about 15 minutes. When I came back, NSR was on a screen saying to press volume down + power until it vibrated, then click OK. The 1520 had nothing on the screen. Tried that, it wouldn't turn on (or rather, it was unresponsive). I can't get it to do anything now. Here is what I have tried:

Holding power button - nothing
Volume down + power - nothing
Volume down + plugging in - no exclamation mark

When I plug it into the PC, I do get an unknown USB device message, so it is detecting that a device has plugged in that is not a charge-only device. But NSR doesn't recognize it plugged in when choosing the option to recover when the phone won't turn on.

I'm now letting it sit, hopefully it will die and then I can charge it a little and start it up some way. The current state of the device is screen off, no response on button combination presses.

Anybody else have any ideas? I'm very frustrated that a software by Nokia is what bricked my device. I'm using version 1.4.3, FYI.

Were they able to restore your 1520? The same happened to my 620 last night. I tried every other solution I could find on the net. No Luck.

I'm taking it to the Nokia Care Centre today.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I just had this problem I thought. Phone was totally dead and would not react to charger or the PC. Buttons were all none reponsive. I plugged it in this morning and let it sit for a while. Came back nothing. Held down the power button unplugged and then replugged. The windows logo started flashing. This was the first sign of life it had. Did it again and it flashed again. Boom started charging and came on. I don't know what the F was wrong with it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I sent mine to Nokia under warranty and should have it back in a couple weeks. They are slow.

I have had 3 phones out to Nokia service (822 and 2 928s), every time I had them back within 7 days, even thought they quote 7-12 days (not including shipping times).

Good luck, hope it works out.

howetechnical

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
They have had mine two weeks almost, but emailed me this morning with shipment confirmation. They actually replaced the the phone, so the update really screwed something up.

howetechnical

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Just posting back that I got the replacement a few days ago, which actually is an updated model I think. The side buttons protrude out a bit more (which is better) and they are firm, and the screen does not suffer from the over sensitive touch input (scrolling would often initiate a touch-to-open/select).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss