I want a 7" 1520

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Dont know, what you mean by "most consumers" but the sale of lager size device is growing very rapidly.
They are growing off a smaller base so it's natural they will have a higher growth rate. According to Canalys as of Q1 2014 Smartphones below 5 inches accounted for 66% of all smartphone shipments globally, smartphones of 6 inches and higher accounted for 2%

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Hehe, gotta love these blanket generalizations. Well, since that's the sweet spot for you Microsoft/Nokia will stop producing 1520s and Samsung will stop the Note series effective immediately!!!

General blanket statements aside if you look at the adduplex June 2014 device stats neither 1520 nor the 1320 are of any significance in terms of market share. Granted this doesn't factor in release dates, but overall the Windows Phone market is dominated by smaller screen cheaper devices.
Nokia producing the NL1520 or Samsung producing the Note on it's own doesn't mean that's where the sweet spot is either. There is a market for these devices, no one is arguing against that, but at this point the smartphone market is dominated by "smaller screen" devices.

I'm not arguing where the actual sweet spot is, devices that are 5 inch and higher grew at a much higher rate so if I had to guess I'd say 4 to 5 inches won't be a sweet spot for too long, but that doesn't mean 6+ inches is going to be the sweet spot either.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
They are growing off a smaller base so it's natural they will have a higher growth rate. According to Canalys as of Q1 2014 Smartphones below 5 inches accounted for 66% of all smartphone shipments globally, smartphones of 6 inches and higher accounted for 2%

Proof or its not through.

And when they say phablets sales, they mean 5.5"-7".

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
General blanket statements aside if you look at the adduplex June 2014 device stats neither 1520 nor the 1320 are of any significance in terms of market share. Granted this doesn't factor in release dates, but overall the Windows Phone market is dominated by smaller screen cheaper devices.
Nokia producing the NL1520 or Samsung producing the Note on it's own doesn't mean that's where the sweet spot is either. There is a market for these devices, no one is arguing against that, but at this point the smartphone market is dominated by "smaller screen" devices.

I'm not arguing where the actual sweet spot is, devices that are 5 inch and higher grew at a much higher rate so if I had to guess I'd say 4 to 5 inches won't be a sweet spot for too long, but that doesn't mean 6+ inches is going to be the sweet spot either.

I agree to that but also want to add to that. The only reason why 4-5" is the most sold phones of the size is not because of the size believe it or not. It's just that its cheaper to buy. Imagine if you had two identical phones. Same price but one was 4.5" and the other was 6" I think the 6" would be the one taking the market share. It's just that 4-5" is the low-mid budget price while anything bigger is priced higher out of most peoples reach. That's my personal opinion from what I have seen from my friends anyway

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Proof or its not through.

And when they say phablets sales, they mean 5.5"-7".

Proof? I mentioned Canalys and Q1 2014, you can go ahead and Google that yourself.

"And When they say phablet sales", who is they? There is no firm definition of phablet, Galaxy Note was originally 5.3 so I guess that's not a phablet?. Also I was responding to your post about “larger size devices growing rapidly” does that include phablets and not phablets? Cause many would consider anything above 5 inches a larger screen device.

The whole conversation started about 6 inch and over phones. Providing a range of 5.5-7 is way too general these days as phones are getting bigger. But even if we take your 5.5-7 definition it's still fairly small. 5 inches and under are 66%, 5 to 5.4 inches are 22%, 5.5 to 5.9 inches are 10% and 6+ inches are 2%. So by your definition it is still only 12% of the market based on the Canalys research.

Q2, 2014 splits are as follows: 5 and under are 60%, 5 to 5.4 are 29%, 5.5 to 5.9 are 9% and 6+ are at 2%. So looks like the 5 to 5.4 range increased its marketshare and the 5.5-7 range lost market share from prior quarter

Last edited:

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I agree to that but also want to add to that. The only reason why 4-5" is the most sold phones of the size is not because of the size believe it or not. It's just that its cheaper to buy. Imagine if you had two identical phones. Same price but one was 4.5" and the other was 6" I think the 6" would be the one taking the market share. It's just that 4-5" is the low-mid budget price while anything bigger is priced higher out of most peoples reach. That's my personal opinion from what I have seen from my friends anyway

Part of it is affordability of course, but the size in terms of size in hand and size in the pocket are also considerations. I personally don't find 6 inch phones comfortable to use or carry, I'm sure there are many that do and many that don't.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Proof? I mentioned Canalys and Q1 2014, you can go ahead and Google that yourself.
Took your proposal and googled "Canalys and Q1 2014.
The very first link I proves my argument that the sale larger screen devices grew a great deal. It a whooping percentage of 369%.

Although, yes, states 5" and above devices for its range, it goes further to explain that Samsung has the highest market share in this range, and among Samsung's share, only 44% were devices of 5" and above. For devices of 5.5" and above they held a whooping share of 53%.
In other words, the biggest OEM in the large screen market, sold more 5.5" and above than it did 5"-5.4".

And with a further read it says, the 5" and above phones own 47% of the market share of devices which are $500 and above (high end phones). So I consideration of high end phones, only 53% of the market share are 5" and below, and of this 53%, 87% are iPhones thats leaves just 13% left to other smaller screen phones. And with a little maths, that leaves approximately 7% of total high-end market share to not apple smartphones.

In summary, for high-end phones:
apple (small screen) = 46% share
non-apple (small screen) = 7% share
non-apple (large screen) = 47% share

This proves that in the high-end market, non apple large screen phones sell a lot more than the non apple small screen phone. And with the introduction of a large screen iPhone 6, larger screen will most definitely dominate the whole market.

Source: [ A third of smart phones shipped in Q1 had 5"-plus displays | Canalys ]

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Wow really? Because the sales of the 1520 hasn't really skyrocketed market sales of Nokia devices, infact neither has the Galaxy Mega either.

Trust me 4.7 to 5 inches are what boost the sales, not huge 6 inch devices, the 6 inch devices are made for a special kind of people.
Larger devices are taking over the market, that's where the trend is currently going - even Apple.
Android isn't laggy I use it everyday on my Nexus 5. Use Android before you abuse it.

Ahhh, Nexus 5, vanilla Android (preferred flavor), but how many (as percentage) consumer devices are sold with vanilla Android ? more than 10% ?
Don't forget to cite your reference ...

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

I cannot disagree with a whole lot of what you said.

I was not arguing that big phones were selling like hotcakes. My main point was that I hate the kind of comment that goes along the lines of 'this is what I use and this is the sweet spot so forget your idea'. If big phones were not selling they would not be making them. The Note has gone through several iterations and they have not stopped production. There must be a reason. They are not in the business to lose money.

There is no sweet spot because each person is different. So each of us has a sweet spot. Now, there may be more people with certain sweet spots which does not mean the other sweet spots are not profitable or will not be made or should be ignored.

I'm done with the sweet spot talk, hehe. :p

In my case, after a couple of weeks of using a Lumia 1520 I pick up a Lumia 920 and it feels tiny, really tiny.

If someone wants a 7" phone and someone is willing to make it, hey, congrats and be happy with your device (as if to kind of contradict myself I don't see it happening :p).

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Took your proposal and googled "Canalys and Q1 2014.
The very first link I proves my argument that the sale larger screen devices grew a great deal. It a whooping percentage of 369%.

Doesn't prove anything cause that includes devices 5 inches and above as you mention later and based on Canalys a large chunk of that growth at least on the QoQ basis appears to be in the 5-5.4 range.

Samsung has the highest market share in this range, and among Samsung's share, only 44% were devices of 5" and above. For devices of 5.5" and above they held a whooping share of 53%. In other words, the biggest OEM in the large screen market, sold more 5.5" and above than it did 5"-5.4".

That's not what it means, it means in the 5.5 and above range they have a higher market share than in the 5-5.4 range, but since the 5-5.4 range is much bigger than 5.5+ range they would still be selling more devices overall that are 5-5.4 than 5.5 and above. In other words they have a larger piece of a smaller pie in the 5.5+ range. The overall results clearly show that 5.5+ accounts for 12% of the market in Q1-14 and 11% in Q2-14, where as the 5 to 5.4 range grew significantly.

This proves that in the high-end market, non apple large screen phones sell a lot more than the non apple small screen phone. And with the introduction of a large screen iPhone 6, larger screen will most definitely dominate the whole market.

Apple is rumoured to be releasing two devices a 4.7 inch and a 5.5 inch model later on, so even their bigger device will be border line a phablet by your definition, which kinda shows that they think that the majority of the growth and the shift in the market is going toward the 4.7-5.5 range. The 5.5-7 range has a market but it's not as big as the 4.7-5.5 range or even the smaller 5-5.5 range. There is an overall shift to larger screens across the board, which will likely result in the 4.7-5.5 range eating up a lot of the sub 5 (4.7 and lower) range and becoming the majority of the market. The 5.5 and above will be growing but it won't be as big.

Looking at the Samsung data, the Galaxy S line continuously outsells the Galaxy Note line once again showing that even for Samsung their bread and butter is in the 5 to 5.5 range rather than in the 5.5+ range. Galaxy S4 was the fastest to 10mil units for Samsung. It sold around 40 million units in the first 7 months since it's release, which more than note and note 2 combined (38 million units since their releases)
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Hits 10 Million Sales Mark: Latest Flagship Beats Sales Expectations In Just Two Months

Last edited:

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I used to think that a 6 inch device would be overkill but seriously when I held it, I was "wow" this thing doesn't feel as big as I imagined although at the gym I still have a hard time dealing with the phone. My cases haven't arrived yet. :(

But I think 7 would be overkill. It would look ridiculous.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I cannot disagree with a whole lot of what you said.

I was not arguing that big phones were selling like hotcakes. My main point was that I hate the kind of comment that goes along the lines of 'this is what I use and this is the sweet spot so forget your idea'. If big phones were not selling they would not be making them. The Note has gone through several iterations and they have not stopped production. There must be a reason. They are not in the business to lose money.

There is no sweet spot because each person is different. So each of us has a sweet spot. Now, there may be more people with certain sweet spots which does not mean the other sweet spots are not profitable or will not be made or should be ignored.

I'm done with the sweet spot talk, hehe. :p

In my case, after a couple of weeks of using a Lumia 1520 I pick up a Lumia 920 and it feels tiny, really tiny.

If someone wants a 7" phone and someone is willing to make it, hey, congrats and be happy with your device (as if to kind of contradict myself I don't see it happening :p).

Agreed! I think we are on the same page here. I'm not saying there is no market for phones that are 5.5 inches and higher, but if I had to guess, especially given the rumours of what Apple will be releasing and just looking at Samsung Galaxy S vs Note, I'd say the majority of the market will end up in the 4.7-5.5 (4.7 just because the iPhone will sell regardless of whether we love it or hate it) range and Samsung will continue producing the Note line cause they will dominate the 5.5+ range.

I can also totally see what you are saying about the going from a larger screen to a smaller screen. After my NL 920 I can't handle the iphone, it's way too small; however I still find the NL1520 too big to handle during calls or one handed or carrying around in my pockets or at the gym (it fits, but it takes up too much room).

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Why do you need somebody to show you stats? You could always use Google? Doesn't your Android allow that?
I wouldn't call Android phones inherently laggy. But they start off without lag and once you use them for a while they start to become laggy.
That has not been my experience with Windows phones.

Anyway phablets are replacing tablets and it's hurting Best Buy.

Best Buy CEO Says Tablet Sales Are “Crashing,” Sees Hope for PCs

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Why do you need somebody to show you stats? You could always use Google? Doesn't your Android allow that?
I wouldn't call Android phones inherently laggy. But they start off without lag and once you use them for a while they start to become laggy.
That has not been my experience with Windows phones.

Anyway phablets are replacing tablets and it's hurting Best Buy.

Best Buy CEO Says Tablet Sales Are ?€œCrashing,?€? Sees Hope for PCs

Tablets are Dead ! Apple tried, then failed, next is iPhone ! Apple will go back to pre-2000 era and Microsoft will boom once again !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss