Anyone over clock a 1520 ?
    08-17-2014 09:35 PM
    It would be very interesting to overclock this little monster, but you need access to the BIOS for that.
    As far as I know, you can't access the BIOS on Lumia.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-18-2014 03:46 AM
    Us normal people don't have the necessary system access to overclock our processors. You shouldn't have to worry about it normally though since the 1520 is still top of the line. But hey, I'm all for undervolting and underclocking.

But yea, we can't do that, even with access, i don't know if its possible. Back in my iOS 4-6 days, the most you could do was disable a power management function, which kept the processor scaled at max speed. Others, like webOS and Android, let us manage the processor. (Oh I had fun with Govnah in webOS -- i liked it, and the plethora of options could've been intimidating, but the help section was terrific -- but I did get a scare when my Pre 2's temp hit 52 degrees when I messed up once. Nothing bad happened though.)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-18-2014 11:27 AM
    Thanks for the info !
    08-18-2014 12:27 PM
    You shouldn't have to worry about it normally though since the 1520 is still top of the line. But hey, I'm all for undervolting and underclocking.

Over-volt is usually meant for short time benchmarking or competitions, but a good 24/7 overclock is all about under-volt and overclock at the same time. A good 24/7 overclock is all about getting a faster CPU with less voltage/heat for daily usage.

A good batch of a 2.2Ghz CPU can run at 3.0Ghz with less voltage, theoretically. This little monster is fast, but a lot of more speed with less heat is always welcome.

EDIT:
    I have a power-station rig for 3D rendering and simulations. It has 2 Intel Xeon X5650 CPUs (each with 6 core and 12 threads) that was originally running at 2.66 Ghz with 1.23 Volt. I have overclocked it to 3.8 Ghz with 1.20 Volt.

The rig have been doing heavy jobs with 100% CPU usage in several years, sometimes running at 100% non-stop for weeks, but still doing great with delivering massive CPU-power with less voltage/heat.
    These CPUs are rated to handle up to 90'C heat, but they are running at 60'C under 100% load. That's what 24/7 overclock is all about.
    Last edited by Sam_oslo; 08-18-2014 at 04:39 PM.
    Rodrigo Mendes and princeegli like this.
    08-18-2014 03:57 PM
    Over-volt is usually meant for short time benchmarking or competitions, but a good 24/7 overclock is all about under-volt and overclock at the same time. A good 24/7 overclock is all about getting a faster CPU with less voltage/heat for daily usage.

A good batch of a 2.2Ghz CPU can run at 3.0Ghz with less voltage, theoretically. This little monster is fast, but a lot of more speed with less heat is always welcome.

EDIT:
    I have a power-station rig for 3D rendering and simulations. It has 2 Intel Xeon X5650 CPUs (each with 6 core and 12 threads) that was originally running at 2.66 Ghz with 1.23 Volt. I have overclocked it to 3.8 Ghz with 1.20 Volt.

The rig have been doing heavy jobs with 100% CPU usage in several years, sometimes running at 100% non-stop for weeks, but still doing great with delivering massive CPU-power with less voltage/heat.
    These CPUs are rated to handle up to 90'C heat, but they are running at 60'C under 100% load. That's what 24/7 overclock is all about.
    What type of 3D rendering do you do ?

I've considered going Xeon. I currently have an i7, I try to squeeze as much juice out of the i7 as I can. Your temps are good !
    08-18-2014 10:00 PM
    What type of 3D rendering do you do ?

I've considered going Xeon. I currently have an i7, I try to squeeze as much juice out of the i7 as I can. Your temps are good !
    I have been rendering Autodesk Maya and Blender 3D scenes, and a lot of scientific simulations too.

There is not much difference between a single Xeon and it's Core I7 contra part. Xeons tend to have better bindings and more reliability but a single-CPU Xeon won't perform much better.

But you need multi-CPU capable Xeons to build really high-power Multi-CPU rigs and these are really expansive. Besides Intel have recently locked the overclocking possibility on multi-CPU Xeons, and high-end CPUs will cost your shirt.

The Intel Core i7 "Haswell-E" processor will be out in Q4-2014, according to Intel roadmap. These will be a much better option for rendering rigs, with lower price and good overclocking capillaries.
    xandros9 likes this.
    08-19-2014 06:19 AM
    I have been rendering Autodesk Maya and Blender 3D scenes, and a lot of scientific simulations too.

There is not much difference between a single Xeon and it's Core I7 contra part. Xeons tend to have better bindings and more reliability but a single-CPU Xeon won't perform much better.

But you need multi-CPU capable Xeons to build really high-power Multi-CPU rigs and these are really expansive. Besides Intel have recently locked the overclocking possibility on multi-CPU Xeons, and high-end CPUs will cost your shirt.

The Intel Core i7 "Haswell-E" processor will be out in Q4-2014, according to Intel roadmap. These will be a much better option for rendering rigs, with lower price and good overclocking capillaries.
    Haswell-E is what I may go with, the skip the generation that is to follow. How proficient are you with Maya ?
    08-19-2014 07:47 AM
    I find my way around Maya, but that's a huge program and I don't know all it's tricks.

Yes, Haswell-E is around the corner, and current leaks/rumors sounds promising. It's defiantly worth to wait and see a few good tests before upgrading CPU.
    08-19-2014 04:46 PM
    I find my way around Maya, but that's a huge program and I don't know all it's tricks.

Yes, Haswell-E is around the corner, and current leaks/rumors sounds promising. It's defiantly worth to wait and see a few good tests before upgrading CPU.
    I'll wait for some tests before making a decision. How long have you been using Maya ?
    08-19-2014 10:30 PM