AT&T's 32 GB 1520, worth it?

darkpgr

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if the 32 GB 1520 AT&T has is identical to their 16 GB version except for the storage or if the 32 GB was actually just like the unbranded 32 GB / 1520.3? I am looking to upgrade from my 920...

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi. Just wanted to chime in and say I think it is worth it. I too had a 920, loved it but was ready to move on so I bought a 32 GB 1520 online. I also bought a 64 GB SD card so I'm rocking and rolling. The only issue I have is it occasionally doesn't respond right away after swiping to unlock the screen. Happens once every few days or so. No big deal, just click the power button to make it dark and the unlock again. I do not have any experience with the 1520.3 unlocked version however so I can't compare to that. Love the phone tho. Fast, beautiful screen, plenty of storage, heck of a phone.

DuncanBishop

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I can say it maybe worth the extra storage...with the micro sd cards coming down in price..get a 16 and add 64 or if you really need space a 128GB card.
And your good to go..my 3 cents :)

darkpgr

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it shows up for me when I go to their upgrade screen (I'm a Premier member though and as far as I know that changes which phones do or don't show up).

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Not sure I understand what "gimped" means.... The At&t is not the international version of the phone, which as I understand it the wireless charging is different between the two editions (i.e. you have to make sure that if you are going to do wireless charging you get the right case and pad for the at&t edition).

As far as the phone itself, I've not read that anything else is different. Now with that said, you may not be able to find the 32GB version @ at&t... unless you look on Amazon or Best Buy where there maybe old stock left.

In the end, is 16GB less memory a bad thing? Yeah, not really... get a good 64GB sd card (a fast one made for mobile devices) and you should be just fine. You can push apps, photos, and etc to the sd card anymore. I have the 32GB at&t with a 128GB sd card and I'm no where near filling this device up.

I have yet to run into into any major issues with the 1520... there is reason why it's considered at the top of the heap. Only the 1020 has a higher res camera (@41mp) over the 1520, but the 20mp camera on the 1520 does just fine.

Anyway, that's what I know. Hope that helps...

~ScottGeek.

Last edited:

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
The AT&T-branded Lumia 1520 does not have Qi; I don't know if they still have the 32GB model.

The AT&T retail price is $585. The 20-month AT&T Next agreement is $30/mo for 20 months (i.e., $600), although you can buy for just 12 months' worth ($360) and get the rest waived if you buy into another Next contract and turn in the phone in very good condition. If you sign a 2-year agreement, you'll pay $240 up front ($200 for the phone and $40 to setup or extend a contract) and an extra $15/mo for the phone -- that's $600, too.

The Lumia 1520.3 at B&H Photo is $490, has 32GB, Qi charging, and a U.S. warranty. However, repairs will be via a mail-in since you can't stop by an AT&T store. The B&H purchase will likely be sales tax free, so that might save another $30-40 on the cost when purchased from AT&T.

So, the difference between the cheapest AT&T option (Next 12 with the trade-in of your 1520 in very good condition at the earliest possible time) would save $130 off of the 1520.3 price. The Next agreement remains a good deal 3-4 months, depending on sales tax offsets (i.e., months 13-17 of your agreement); after that, it costs more than the 1520.3. All other AT&T options cost more than the 1520.3.

So, if you swing the $490 up-front cost and really want Qi and the full 32GB, the 1520.3 is a good option, particularly if you want lots of freedom about when to upgrade or if you plan to keep the 1520.3 for 18 months or more. If you can live with the AT&T model, take very good care of your phones, and want to upgrade often, a Next agreement is the best plan for a 13-17 month ownership window.

[This part was added 90 minutes later.]
I forgot to mention that the time window for when AT&T Next program is financially advantageous changes if you plan to see a used 1520.3 when you're ready to upgrade. For every $30 you can get, you can cut a month off of the 13-17 month window. Indeed, if you can more than $130 for a year-old 1520.3, the Next program is never a better deal in terms of cost. However, if the $490 up-front cost is a problem for you, the resale value of the 1520.3 is irrelevant because this option isn't available to you.

Last edited:

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
The AT&T edition is PMA-ready, it doesn't actual have all of the necessary PMA parts inside the phone itself. To get the rest of the parts, the phone is placed in a case and that case is heavy (1.75 oz on top of the 7.25 of the phone itself) and thick (13.7mm instead of the 8.7 of the phone itself). I'm not a case kind of guy, so I really dislike this idea. However, I suspect that most people uses cases, so this might not matter much to most users.

To add Qi to the AT&T edition, you need to perform some surgery that voids your warranty.

Frankly, the whole wireless debates should be nearly irrelevant unless a particular shopper already has both an investment in Qi wireless charging and has become accustomed to using it. If those both aren't true, the AT&T edition is not a recognizable step down in terms of convenience. For long-time 920 users, it is. How far a step each user perceives helps determine if it's worth the time, money, and risk to modifying the phone or buying an out-of-market device.

For what it's worth, I added a paragraph about resale value at the end of my last comments, two posts up.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
For a 920 owner I would definelty get the 1520.3 . I also currently own a 920 and would miss the qi charging. Also my wife has the qi case for her 1020 and it works but obviously means you can't use any case you want. Also the built on qi works better I can place mine sideways and it still works where the case is more finicky.

kj_wp

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I suggest the 1520.3 also from b&h, newegg. AT&T custom firmware, locked features (i.e. tethering, etc.). OS updates even small patches. As far as internal memory, as I understand most internal memory is faster. Not total throughput but access time, that's why program installation was only allowed on internal memory. The different performance between SD card manufacturer impacts performance. The OS updates are the most important as bug fixes are most important

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Huh? You can install apps in the micro sd card.

It depends on the App, in general yes you can install Apps to the SD; however App developers can and do prohibit that ability. I've found that the majority of apps allow the SD card installation. I wish the app store would add a filter allowing you to list apps that allow on phone installs....

~ScottGeek.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
It depends on the App, in general yes you can install Apps to the SD; however App developers can and do prohibit that ability. I've found that the majority of apps allow the SD card installation. I wish the app store would add a filter allowing you to list apps that allow on phone installs....

~ScottGeek.

Saying depends on the app and that it can be disabled is not the same as the blanket statement "program installation was only allowed on internal memory".

I never said it could not be disabled for certain apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99