Display broken - Where to buy replacement?

Rasmus Klingenberg

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Was late for class and took it out of the pocket too fast, resulting in my 1520 faceplanting the ground, which obviously broke the screen :/

Touch seem to be broken also, so I probably also need a new digitizer. I've tried google, however I can't find any reasonably priced spare parts.

Any tips?

sjgore

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
A well timed thread, dropped my 1520 onto concrete today.

Are the LCD and glass glued/bonded together on the 1520, or are they separate? Just wondering if I can replace literally just the glass. It makes a huge difference to the price.

sjgore

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so assuming it's glued and needs a complete LCD/glass unit, how easy is it to switch for the new one? The official Nokia service manual for the 1520 makes it sound very complicated, pretty much everything needs dismantling and taking apart to get to the screen.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Personally... I wouldn't risk it. The glass and digitizer is around ?200 and unless you have the actual screen machine I wouldn't recommend doing a D.I.Y job on it. Heard how someone tried to melt the glue with a hair dryer and warped the whole screen lol.

Rasmus Klingenberg

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Last time I'm buying a Nokia Phone, while living in Denmark.

Nokias Danish service partner wanted around 2200-2700dkk(350-400$) for a screen repair. Weird considering the price seems to be around 100 pounds in UK, which is less than half. Will have to bring it abroad to get it repaired :/

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The only phone that I've heard of where the LCD and digitizer are bonded together is the 928. I'm not saying that this isn't the case with the 1520, just that I haven't heard of it. If you look on Amazon for the 928 screen, there is one seller that has only the digitizer, but most are selling the assembly. If you look for the 1520, there are several selling the digitizer by itself. This isn't a guarantee, but it suggests to me that the 1520 and the 928 are different in that respect. I've only changed two screens out, and neither was on a Lumia - both were HTC phones - so take this for what it is worth. If it were my 1520, given that I am mechanically and electronically inclined, I would buy the digitizer and change it. That's me - I don't know how inclined you are.

sjgore

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I contacted Nokia this morning and they wanted ?125 for a screen replacement, which includes next day courier pickup and delivery. Since screens on eBay start at ?118, I thought it best just to let Nokia handle it.

Rasmus Klingenberg

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I contacted Nokia this morning and they wanted ?125 for a screen replacement, which includes next day courier pickup and delivery. Since screens on eBay start at ?118, I thought it best just to let Nokia handle it.

I assume your're in the UK, given your use of the punds symbol.

Heard about that price a few times, which actually seems cheap given the ips display inside. However when contacting Nokia, they kept referring to their crappy service partner in my country. Will try to bring it abroad and find a cheaper care point when travelling next time.

sjgore

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Yep, am in the UK.

UPS picked the phone up next day as expected, I can now track the repair online.

Pretty slick so far, it has to be said.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077