How do I move my data to a larger SD card?

stylon

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I've had a 1520 for a few months now, fitted with a 64GB memory card. It's got pretty full as I install all my apps, games, photos and videos on it.

Decided to get one of the new 128GB SanDisk cards... Turned off the phone, took card out and copied all my data off the old card onto the new one via a PC, even made sure the new card had the same name as the old one. However when I put the new card in the phone and turned it on, it saw it as a new card and asked me if I wanted to use it to store stuff on. I said yes... but when I went to the photo gallery there was nothing there...

I put my old card back in and all was fine again... the 128GB one is definitely not a fake, I bought a few directly from SanDisk through the place where I work. Incidentally I upgraded the card in my Surface Pro 2 following same procedure and it worked like a charm.

So my question is, what is the correct procedure for upgrading to a bigger memory card and successfully moving your apps and photos etc over to it? Copying back onto the phone is not an option for me as there is too much stuff on the old card...

Thanks in advance :smile:

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
For apps/games moving them back to the phone is the only way unless you're willing to reinstall them and lose game progress. Videos and photos - so long as they're in the same folder on the new card then it should work fine: put the old card in, copy the music/photo/video folders across to the desktop (or the new sd card if you have a reader), then swap the cards over. I've done it that way many times no problem.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Try THIS: (after moving ALL your apps off the card)
  • pull the existing SDcard
  • slide that into your computer
  • mount the NEW SDcard in the phone
  • FORMAT it in the phone
  • use EASY TRANSFER (app in store) to smoothly pull the data from the old card to the new

stylon

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks - eventually got around to doing this yesterday, using the first suggestion. Very tedious - had to sacrifice a few big games to fit everything onto the phone but I got all the important ones (with a lot of progress saved) across OK. If they bring out a bigger card I doubt I'll be able to transfer again though.

Anyway thanks (to both of you) for your suggestions. Appreciated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb