Where are my backup files stored exactly?

Paul Kortman

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Well, that is the question indeed. I had to do a reset a short time ago and I didn't do my backup properly. But I can't find them in my Onedrive-folders

Last edited:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Under SETTINGS >> BACKUP >>MANAGE BACKUPS you'll see they're stored in the cloud - OneDrive, though they're ONLY addressable thru the backup / restore settings.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
This backup is a crock of ****. I did a backup the day before replacing my phone and 30mins prior. But upon restoring to the new phone, the backup was 4 months old! It never gives you to option of which backup to restore. MS really boned this one.

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
This backup is a crock of ****. I did a backup the day before replacing my phone and 30mins prior. But upon restoring to the new phone, the backup was 4 months old! It never gives you to option of which backup to restore. MS really boned this one.

I did a restore last week and it restored everything from apps to app data to preferences to networks and passwords.

It saved me a lot of time in setting up my new phone.

The backup feature I find useless in the text message backup. If I delete the message on my phone, it deletes from the backup? That's just dumb.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
I did a restore last week and it restored everything from apps to app data to preferences to networks and passwords.

It saved me a lot of time in setting up my new phone.

Yeah it does a great job of restoring absolutely everything, you just can't choose what date/backup it restores from so you could end up with a 4 month old back up like I did! It should have been automatic that it restored the most recent backup.

I came to this thread hoping there was a way to log in online and manage my backups and thus delete the older ones, no luck I guess.

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Yeah it does a great job of restoring absolutely everything, you just can't choose what date/backup it restores from so you could end up with a 4 month old back up like I did! It should have been automatic that it restored the most recent backup.

I came to this thread hoping there was a way to log in online and manage my backups and thus delete the older ones, no luck I guess.

Good point.

Yeah, I looked around onedrive a few months ago to see if I could access it. The only place I found reference to it on the website is under Options > Device Backups. I had several copies of backups from my Lenovo tablet from months ago. Maybe you have multiple of your phone and, for whatever reason, it only showed you one when you went to restore it.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
Exactly. One would presume that the backup process is incremental, always modifying 1 complete backup image which is kept in the cloud. Instead it makes multiple backups that you can't even manage or choose from!

Is there anyone here who has ever restored a backup and it actually given you a choice of which backup to restore from? Or has anyone figured out how to manage your backups?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss