What apps do you store on your SD card?

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Just wondering what philosophies different users have with regards to storing applications. Do you store a particular type of apps on memory card or just any app? Whats your philosophy?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
All of them. Every. Single. One. Except 1.... Geometry Dash. I installed it to my SD card and every other app transferred over when updating except that one.... Twice. I got to level 10 and I was so pi**ed when I had to start over twice that I save it locally.

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Just wondering what philosophies different users have with regards to storing applications. Do you store a particular type of apps on memory card or just any app? Whats your philosophy?

If you own the 32GB version I would advice you to use this space for the Apps. I've quite a lot of Apps installed alongside with around 5GB of offline maps and still have a lot of space available. All other content (pictures, music, videos) is stored on my SD card.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
If you own the 32GB version I would advice you to use this space for the Apps. I've quite a lot of Apps installed alongside with around 5GB of offline maps and still have a lot of space available. All other content (pictures, music, videos) is stored on my SD card.

Now that's something I might incorporate. But out of curiosity, if the sum total of your apps amount to more than 32gb, what would be your philosophy then? What set of apps would you leave in the internal memory and what ones will be on the SD?

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Now that's something I might incorporate. But out of curiosity, if the sum total of your apps amount to more than 32gb, what would be your philosophy then? What set of apps would you leave in the internal memory and what ones will be on the SD?

I would probably start transferring some games to the SD card then. I have not noticed any differences in speed with regard to the location of the App (either on the phone or on the SD card) but still feel a bit more comfortable when Apps I consider important (games are more for spare time) are installed locally.

But I guess everyone has to figure this one out on his own. As for the content I think it absolutely makes sense to store those things on the SD card, especially if you have a 128GB version. My music collection is quite big and I want to have it at one place.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Agree with you. I would also rather store apps internally in order not to have my apps being unavailable when the memory card is inaccessible. To that end, if need be, I guess I would start by sending apps I rarely use to sd card.

Kiba85

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I store almost every app on the SD card, except those apps that I use the most and don't take much space. Even the fastest SD cards (I use a 32GB Samsung EVO, which is pretty speedy) are slower than the internal memory, and in my experience apps like Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Nokia Camera launch faster if you store them on the phone.

So, in a nutshell, if the performance of the app is important to you, it's better to have it stored on the phone. Every other app on the SD card.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I store almost every app on the SD card, except those apps that I use the most and don't take much space. Even the fastest SD cards (I use a 32GB Samsung EVO, which is pretty speedy) are slower than the internal memory, and in my experience apps like Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Nokia Camera launch faster if you store them on the phone.

So, in a nutshell, if the performance of the app is important to you, it's better to have it stored on the phone. Every other app on the SD card.

Why do you store almost every app on SD then, if they perform better being internally stored? What do you store internally if I may ask?

Kiba85

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Why do you store almost every app on SD then, if they perform better being internally stored? What do you store internally if I may ask?

As I said apps that I use more frequently, like Facebook, Twitter, Nokia Camera, because I want them to launch as fast as possible. Skype is already slow on its own, so I store it on the phone to boost the launch. Apps like WPCentral, Converge, launch fast even being on the SD card, so I store them there.
Mine is more a general rule, maybe it doesn't make much sense speaking of the Lumia 1520, as it has ton of space for apps.

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't see any reason why an App stored on the SD card would launch faster (not saying that this doesn't hold for you, just a bit confused about it).

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't see any reason why an App stored on the SD card would launch faster (not saying that this doesn't hold for you, just a bit confused about it).
He said apps on internal memory launch faster, not SD.

PS: I like your pic and name. Tesla is the man!

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Music, some videos (not taken with my phone) and games to the SD

Pictures and videos taken with my phone to the internal memory. I don't want to lose any picture or video, I don't trust SD cards.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I had my 1520 for a few months before I got my 64GB card... so I already had all my important apps on the local storage. Then when I got the card, from that point forward, all the apps and games now go to the card.

Right now I have about 6GB free of my 16GB internal..

And 24GB free space on my 64GB Sandisk Ultra class 10 micro SD card.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Right now I have about 6GB free of my 16GB internal..
And 24GB free space on my 64GB Sandisk Ultra class 10 micro SD card.

When I see posts like this, makes me glad I didn't opt for the L930 when the L1520 was unavailable. Dont know how I would have lived with a 32GB unexpandable memory space.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Did any of you SD card owners format it in the phone, or PC, or used as it was?
I bought my card brand new, took it out of the package and popped it in my 1520. The phone instantly recognized the card and I immediately started putting apps, music, and games on it. I assume it was pre-formatted.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
When I see posts like this, makes me glad I didn't opt for the L930 when the L1520 was unavailable. Dont know how I would have lived with a 32GB unexpandable memory space.
I lived with that for a year or so with my old 920, and then a 1020. Now that I've been spoiled by the 1520's SD storage, I don't think I could have another phone without it..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3