Lumia 920 User Looking for Feedback on 1520

cre8tivspirit

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Okay all you 1520 users, I need some honest feedback from you. I currently own an AT&T Lumia 920 and really haven't felt the need to upgrade. It has done everything I've asked of it and it also came with the Qi wireless. Now that Lumia Denim has been announced, I'm seeing where my 920 is starting to fall behind and won't be able to take advantage of all of the update's features. While I like the look of the 1520, the physical size concerns me a little because I carry my phone in my pocket all of the time and a protective case around it seems like it would just be too bulky. Also, I'm a little pi$$ed about the Qi wireless being pulled by AT&T and I've also heard that Data Sense isn't available on the AT&T version. That being said, the 1520 appears to be the best option because I use my phone for work and play and some of the other options just aren't that appealing to me.

As users of the 1520, especially AT&T users, I'd love to hear some of the pros/cons of this device that you have. Also, I'd like to know if making the purchase of the 1520.3 is something I should consider.

Thanks in advance.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from a 920 to 1520 and I'm loving it. There are a few hardware related things that are a slight annoyance but not a deal breaker. For example, the phone will sometimes register a swipe as a tap. But overall I'm loving my 1520. The photos are definitely an upgrade and it's hard to beat the screen size. Even the recently announced Galaxy Note 4 is still slightly smaller at 5.7 inches. Despite being way larger than the 920 it's also way lighter. You'll definitely appreciate the decreased weight. I got used to lumping around my 920 but I don't miss the weight at all. Cyan hasn't been released for the 920 on AT&T yet (assuming it will be) but I wouldn't consider it a deciding factor, IMO. I would say that the 1520 is your best choice if you're looking to upgrade right now. However, if the 1520 is too big then I'd suggest waiting for the HTC One M8. It should be excellent and available on AT&T. :wink:

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
The 1520.3 is definitely a big check.

20MP Camera
3200 mAh battery (lasts me two days of moderate usage)
MicroSD Card Slot up to 128GBs
HUGE GORGEOUS Display (Yes, the reiteration needed), though the 6inch screen might be a con for you.. It's a pro at least for me.

I was a Lumia 920 user myself and this phone just blows it out of the water. Both great phones but this one man, it's really the best phone I've ever used.

Another option is the M8 for Windows which would be with AT&T shortly. A great device with a mainstream sized display.

I don't know if you should wait for high end flagships. If you could wait till December then go ahead (still unsure about new high end flagships though) but if not, the 1520 still topples most WP devices.

cre8tivspirit

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
The 6 inch isn't so much of a big deal as it is that it just looks huge. How does it feel in the pocket? Did AT&T restrict Data Sense? Do you miss Qi Wireless charging, coming from the 920.

I'm kind of surprised at the limited response I've gotten so far. I was hoping for more feedback from people that have made the switch from a smaller phone to the 1520. I really do like the phone. I just want some real info from everyday users.

HaroldOfTheRocks

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I just jumped to the 1520 from the 920 last week and I love it.

To address your questions:

- No Qi/16GB: I went with an unlocked 1520.3 to avoid that problem. Just couldn't live without Qi. (AT&T can suck eggs with their PMA allegiance...)
- Data Sense: This may have been resolved by the 1520.3 but on my 920 running the 8.1 Update DP, I had Data Sense. (I think being on the DP removed carrier "customizations" but I could be wrong.)
- Size/Weight: Agree with previous poster that it's physically larger but feels lighter, not the tank that is the 920. One-handed operations can sometimes be a challenge but that was expected. I haven't had any pocket-size issues but I tend to roll with big pockets (haven't worn jeans since I got it so I'm not sure how that'll go). I do have a case on it but a thin Incipio unit as I think a thick case would start to push the size into unmanageable territory.

Other pros:

- Previous poster got all the big stuff: Battery life kicks ****, the camera is killer (and will just get better with Denim), expandable storage is nice (haven't gotten to dropping music/videos on it yet but have a 64GB chip in it), the display is excellent (though the 920 wasn't shabby for the rez).

Cons:

- That swipe/select issue. It's just weird, seems to be random touch sensitivity issues as it'll even kick in as double-taps on PIN entries. So far, it hasn't been major but if it got worse, it would be.
- The general WP8/1080p/6in screen size problems that I read about in initial reviews of the phone are still there, even with 8.1 Update. Some core apps give you same size/more info, some give you same info/bigger size. (I'd always want more info.) IE is the app that perturbs me the most on this front as it went the "make things bigger" route and it should just be a slider away to shrink font size - even worse, you *can* do that in reading mode! All that said, it's livable and I'm confident that MS and app devs will start building in better support for varied resolutions/PPI.

All in all, I'm happy with the upgrade so I'd tell you to go for it. And if you can swing it, get the 1520.3 -- heck, on top of the other benefits, it'll give you t-mobile as a carrier option since it supports their LTE bands and you won't be re-upping a contract for it.

Good luck.

Devhammer

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I also own a 920 (red).

I really like the 1520 hardware overall, and in the short time I had mine (a yellow 1520.3), I found that it had very good battery life, particularly given the size of the screen. BUT. That screen is huge, and the size lends itself to less resistance to shattering. I dropped my 1520.3 two days after I got it, and utterly destroyed the screen. In fairness, it was a pretty significant drop, onto asphalt. But I've dropped my 920 quite a few times, and it's been a tank...the worst I've got is a few dings in the polycarbonate.

So my advice would be to be aware that with the 1520 you need to be especially careful handling it, and avoid drops. It's not as sturdy as the 920. I ordered a case for mine, which will go on it as soon as I get it back from Palco for the screen replacement.

Devhammer

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Agree with HaroldOfTheRocks that if you can afford it, 1520.3 is the way to go. If you already own a 920 and have invested in wireless chargers (I have both a Nokia charging plate and a JPL PowerUp speaker dock), giving up Qi support by buying the AT&T model will be painful. And as noted, if you buy off-contract, you won't be stuck in another 2-year contract, which may come in handy if a really great device shows up next year on another carrier.

j_sedg

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I switched from the 920 to the 1520.3 (green) pretty awesome switch, although the size is a little challenging to get used to. I have tried a few cases on both the 920 and 1520, and in the end prefer the phone without one.

pros:
My 1520 AT&T version came with data sense so no issue there. Speakerphone and mics are better, screen is much much better, way more real estate and using from a distance is so much better. Camera is also much better; battery life is also excellent. SD Card is really nice, i was always maxed out on memory with the 920.

cons:
For me its a little harder to do one handed typing like i could on the 920. I have had the screen scroll vs select issue, only a little annoying, not too bad.

Overall a good switch but sort of wish it was a 5.5 inch device instead of the 6, but that may just be me getting used to it.

cre8tivspirit

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I'm hearing what I was hoping to hear and that's a good thing. I definitely think I'm going to be looking at the 1520.3 because I use Qi charging at work and at home and I really don't want to give that up. Also I like the 32GB over 16GB option. Hopefully this swipe/select issue will be resolved real soon.

CnastyU

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I wasnt sure if you physically handled one previously or looking to get one based on reviews and pics but attempt to handle one first. It is very big and the sharp corners do take some time to get used to so be sure its something you are prepared for in the long haul.

Other than that, great device!

DL Durand

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm usually itching for a new phone just 6 months after getting the latest and greatest. Got my 920 in Nov 2012 and was amazed that, after 18 months, there still wasn't a phone out or on the horizon that I'd prefer. The battery life and no-SD of the 920 was disappointing, but everything else was great. The camera on it was so good that I rarely bothered with my 18mp Cybershot. When the 1520 first came out I was impressed with the camera and everything, but the size was off-putting. I said, "make that a 5" screen and I'll upgrade. I heard about the Icon/930 and figured it'd be my next. When the final specs said no Qi, I said 'screw it' and got a 1520. After having Qi on the 920 it is now a requirement. Like everyone above said, the size takes a bit of getting used to, but what you get in return (beautiful, easy to read/game/surf screen, killer battery, SD, improved everything, etc.) makes it worth it. And it doesn't seem as heavy as the 920, even though it is; weight distribution is better. I don't use cases on my Nokia's, 'cept when I'm hiking. It's dropped off of desks and counters onto marble floors a couple times and it's fine. I don't regret the switch at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster