What do you think about the 4K video filming for L1520?

CnastyU

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I had a Note 3 and didnt use it once. Maybe I am missing out but no one can even view it at 4K levels really as of yet.

ttxzee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
if I have 4k I'll use it, if I don't have it I don't mind.. the "hold down camera button to take video" feature how ever is absolutely amazing! can't wait for that! :D

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
So 4K, 1080, 720.. this all not hardware (camera) related? It's interesting that update "enables" this feature

Sym3

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
People were complaining that they were not able to take shots during video capture and telling Microsoft to implement this feature. Microsoft has implemented this feature uniquely,while on android devices we will merely get 1.2mp(HD) shots on Lumia we will get 8.3mp shots which obviously have much more detail and are worth keeping.

Last edited:

Sym3

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
So 4K, 1080, 720.. this all not hardware (camera) related? It's interesting that update "enables" this feature
SD800 is able to capture 4k video but was not yet implemented on Lumia devices till now,but I highly doubt we will have losses zoom in 4k recording.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I welcome it myself. No need to stay stagnant with technology whether you think it's useful or not. The great thing about the 1520 is that you can upgrade its storage to easily handle this enabled feature.

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A fantastic feature addition for the current top end Nokia phone.

Personally would not use because:
1. My family and I do not have any 4k capable playback devices not do any posting to a 4k capable video service.

2. The concomitant battery drain and CPU heat associated with mobile phone 4k recording. The extended operating battery life of the 1520 was a critical feature for me.

I am content to take a 25 minute 1080p video of my niece's pre-k song recital and still have plenty of battery remaining.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I would rather record in 120fps over even 60fps then 4k video.

I would like 120fps at reduced resolution as well. I'm sure if enough voices spoke out, Microsoft would get this going as an added feature. They've added RAW support, AptX, Dolby 5.1 capture, and now 4K. These are niche features that they are paying attention to. This is why I like the Windows Phone platform.

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't really think its about the 4k video resolution, my friend takes photos at wedding etc part time. He's amazed at this feature.
He says he can walk around the guests and family filming in 4 k, then later take out 8 megapixel photos from the video. He says he now won't miss a thing, it makes things super easy. He obviously takes photos of the bride with a dslr camera but its getting to the point where he wont have too..

joeinbh

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft's implementation here is PERFECT!!! I have 3 small kids and learned long ago that the only way to get photographs where everyone looks okay (or at least where no one looks horrible) is to pull them off of video. I can't tell you how many times I handed a camcorder to a stranger and asked them to just point it at us, assuring the assuring the good Samaritan that it was already on and there were no buttons for her to push. I even used to have a set workflow of shooting an hour of video and pulling the good photos off that video. THAT is the intended implementation of 4K video here. You're pulling 8 megapixel stills instead of 2 megapixel stills.

This is NOT intended to be used for regular video recording. I saw an interview with one of the Microsoft camera engineers this morning where he explained that the S800 processors could handle only a few minutes of 4K video anyway before they would overheat (precisely how long depending on ambient temperature, humidity, etc.). So no, this is not meant to shoot an hour-long recital - the hardware couldn't even handle it, and even if it could, storing and mass viewing 4K video isn't really practical in 2014. This is about pulling stills and unless I happen to catch something truly extraordinary worth archiving for a lifetime, this is how I'm going to use the feature - I'll shoot 4K only in that "please would you mind aiming the camera at us?" scenario and then delete the 4K video after pulling the desired stills.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750