What do you think about the 4K video filming for L1520?

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft's implementation here is PERFECT!!! I have 3 small kids and learned long ago that the only way to get photographs where everyone looks okay (or at least where no one looks horrible) is to pull them off of video. I can't tell you how many times I handed a camcorder to a stranger and asked them to just point it at us, assuring the assuring the good Samaritan that it was already on and there were no buttons for her to push. I even used to have a set workflow of shooting an hour of video and pulling the good photos off that video. THAT is the intended implementation of 4K video here. You're pulling 8 megapixel stills instead of 2 megapixel stills.

This is NOT intended to be used for regular video recording. I saw an interview with one of the Microsoft camera engineers this morning where he explained that the S800 processors could handle only a few minutes of 4K video anyway before they would overheat (precisely how long depending on ambient temperature, humidity, etc.). So no, this is not meant to shoot an hour-long recital - the hardware couldn't even handle it, and even if it could, storing and mass viewing 4K video isn't really practical in 2014. This is about pulling stills and unless I happen to catch something truly extraordinary worth archiving for a lifetime, this is how I'm going to use the feature - I'll shoot 4K only in that "please would you mind aiming the camera at us?" scenario and then delete the 4K video after pulling the desired stills.

So glad ssomebody else gets it

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft's implementation here is PERFECT!!! I have 3 small kids and learned long ago that the only way to get photographs where everyone looks okay (or at least where no one looks horrible) is to pull them off of video. I can't tell you how many times I handed a camcorder to a stranger and asked them to just point it at us, assuring the assuring the good Samaritan that it was already on and there were no buttons for her to push. I even used to have a set workflow of shooting an hour of video and pulling the good photos off that video. THAT is the intended implementation of 4K video here. You're pulling 8 megapixel stills instead of 2 megapixel stills.

This is NOT intended to be used for regular video recording. I saw an interview with one of the Microsoft camera engineers this morning where he explained that the S800 processors could handle only a few minutes of 4K video anyway before they would overheat (precisely how long depending on ambient temperature, humidity, etc.). So no, this is not meant to shoot an hour-long recital - the hardware couldn't even handle it, and even if it could, storing and mass viewing 4K video isn't really practical in 2014. This is about pulling stills and unless I happen to catch something truly extraordinary worth archiving for a lifetime, this is how I'm going to use the feature - I'll shoot 4K only in that "please would you mind aiming the camera at us?" scenario and then delete the 4K video after pulling the desired stills.

I'm pretty sure that the limation of being able to record only a few minutes of 4K has something to do with heat dispersion on the Lumia devices.

Because Snapdragon 800 and above can perfectly handle 4K for extended periods of time, just look at last year's Note 3! People used to record full length 4K videos for YouTube on it.

But your post about being able to pull off photos from 4K is one of the biggest benefits I see of 4K.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Wish it was 30fps. 24 is a gimmick and choppy. Oh well. I probably wont use it too much. I understand 30fps would require more bandwidth though...

uzeroni

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Great extra feature, but IMO, I'd prefer 60fps 1080p or 120fps 720p. Fix the OIS wobble with Denim, then you've got something great.

Dreamspell

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Wish it was 30fps. 24 is a gimmick and choppy. Oh well. I probably wont use it too much. I understand 30fps would require more bandwidth though...

You will be able to record in 4K (2160p) at 30 FPS, as well as 1440p at 30 FPS.

vlcsnap-2014-09-06-09h19m52s237.png

Only the Movie Moments action by holding the shutter button will always be at 24 FPS.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

24 FPS isn't a gimmick. While 24 FPS in gaming could be a bit choppy, 24 FPS with motion blur in video recording doesn't have any choppiness.

In fact most movies released even today are in 1080p 24 FPS.

Great extra feature, but IMO, I'd prefer 60fps 1080p or 120fps 720p. Fix the OIS wobble with Denim, then you've got something great.

What if the camera sensor doesn't support 60 and 120 FPS video at those resolutions? Does anyone know what sensor is being used on the 1520? I could search about it.

And the OIS wobble is probably a hardware defect, that's what I hear anyways.

Anthony Vangeli

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm still waiting for exposure lock in video capture mode.

Might be able to then have professional-ish looking video to go along with the spectacular photo capabilities. 4K, manual focus and white balance, but adding exposure lock? Think of the content people could create with that. Oh well. Hopefully it's added to the revamped Lumia Camera.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

I think every and all movies that get released in cinema is at 24fps.....
Television sitcoms are at 30fps (documentaries I think are at 24fps)
Games are ideal at 30fps (CONSTANT no drops below 30), or 60fps (ideally cuz then framedrops wont visually affect it too much)

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I think every and all movies that get released in cinema is at 24fps.....
Television sitcoms are at 30fps (documentaries I think are at 24fps)
Games are ideal at 30fps (CONSTANT no drops below 30), or 60fps (ideally cuz then framedrops wont visually affect it too much)

Most content, including movies are 24 FPS(with motion blur). The motion blur is what makes the movies smooth to our eyes.

Most open world games try to keep FPS locked at 30, this includes GTA, Watch Dogs, etc.

First person shooters put FPS, above all, and all games try to keep the FPS around 60 to be extremely smooth.

In this sense, the Lumia 1520 and other devices will support 4K at 24 and 30 FPS, so it's not a gimmick it'll be a pretty useful feature.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99