consumer rant-true or not?

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
hey guys i saw this video on youtube and was wondering what the opinions of you,owners of 1520s had to say about this
one of my friends discovered this video and is scared to buy a 1520
basically this guy dropped his new 1520 without a case and screen guard(at the time of drop) and calls a phablet "fragile"
i was curious to know if what the guy in the video says is true because acc to me,its not true at all
he bought a huge phone ,drops it without a scratch gard and case and blames nokia for it
he compared it to his lumia 800 but i think its an unfair comparison given the sheer size of the 1520 and thickness of the 800
what are your views ? should my friend buy the 1520 or not

edit-i forgot to link the video i was talking about
here goes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EWuz4YEk9k

Last edited:

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The larger the screen, the more fragile it is, end of story. The only way to make it more resistant to shattering is by using thicker glass. Which would a) increase the weight significantly and b) make the device barely unusable, because the digitizer sitting beneath the glass wouldn't work anymore, or at least less precisely.
I'm not using any cases or screen protectors, but I'm one heck of a careful person. Especially when it comes to expensive things. I honestly don't get how some people treat their devices.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Any screen will break if you drop it in the right way, even ones with sapphire screens.

I've had my 1520 since launch and take reasonable care of it. It's been dropped a couple of times onto concrete and never suffered any damage.

If fragility was a known trait of the 1520, it would be widely reported, and it doesn't seem to be (the tap-swipe issue is a different story). So, yes it's perfectly safe to buy a 1520 and I'd recommend it to anyone. People on YouTube (and the internet in general) rant about all kinds of things and blame everyone but themselves. I don't know why, it's just the way of the internet.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Any screen will break if you drop it in the right way, even ones with sapphire screens.

I've had my 1520 since launch and take reasonable care of it. It's been dropped a couple of times onto concrete and never suffered any damage.

If fragility was a known trait of the 1520, it would be widely reported, and it doesn't seem to be (the tap-swipe issue is a different story). So, yes it's perfectly safe to buy a 1520 and I'd recommend it to anyone. People on YouTube (and the internet in general) rant about all kinds of things and blame everyone but themselves. I don't know why, it's just the way of the internet.

Very well said. My 1520 slid out of my pocket and fell like 30cm onto a tiny fragment of a stone. The screen cracked immediately. But it was neither the fault of the stone, nor the fault of the device. It was my fault, and my fault alone. I should've just closed my pocket and nothing would've happened at all. Lucky me, casualty insurance covered the repair.
Anyways, the 1520 is a great device, and I gladly recommend getting one.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The thing is that, all phones break when dropped. You are extremely lucky if you drop a phone and nothing happens to it.

Nokia has a history of making pretty durable devices, from the Nokia 3310 to the Lumia 800. The Gorilla Glass screens are pretty good at resisting scratches(even from knives).

But drops are a completely different thing, the sheer amount of force can easily damage your device. Even water can pierce through steel if it moves fast enough.

The only way to save your flagship is to either be very careful or use a cover.

Tell your friend that there is nothing to be worried about, and if he likes Windows Phone, the 1520 is the phone to get! I hope he's okay with the size? If he's not he should consider the 930, or Icon(if available).

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
One word of advice I'd have is to ask a repair shop that replaces phone screens. Which phones do they see more, and see the least? However, that's not a perfect solution either as you'd have to take market share into account. I've never in my life seen a 1520 in the wild, so I wouldn't be surprised if a phone repair shop sees very few of them since they're not very popular, compared to the iPhone or Galaxy.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That would be a good idea, but I think you've already shot your idea down there in that repair shops will only see the most common phones, not the most fragile ones.

I bet very few shops have seen a Vertu, and from experience I know their screens can break quite a bit.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Very well said. My 1520 slid out of my pocket and fell like 30cm onto a tiny fragment of a stone. The screen cracked immediately. But it was neither the fault of the stone, nor the fault of the device. It was my fault, and my fault alone.
I thought you said in another post it was your mother's fault. Confused.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I thought you said in another post it was your mother's fault. Confused.

No, read that again. ;) Casualty Insurancies cover costs when person A accidentally breaks person's B property. So my casualty insurance wouldn't cover anything if I was the one to break my own property. What we did was claiming my mother had broken my device, so that her casualty insurance would cover the costs for the repair. ;)

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
No, read that again. ;) Casualty Insurancies cover costs when person A accidentally breaks person's B property. So my casualty insurance wouldn't cover anything if I was the one to break my own property. What we did was claiming my mother had broken my device, so that her casualty insurance would cover the costs for the repair. ;)
Then you and your mother did tell the insurance companies it was your mother's fault. Or did you turn your mother in for involving you in fraud you opposed?

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
At least a third, if not close to half, of the iPhones in our corporate plan have screens shattered at some point in their contract cycle. Doesn't mean its a bad device, its really user carelessness - a small handful of users are responsible for those screen breaks over and over and over.....

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Then you and your mother did tell the insurance companies it was your mother's fault. Or did you turn your mother in for involving you in fraud you opposed?

From a legal perspective, you could certainly call it fraud, yeah.

Hmmm, something seems wrong here. You actually did that?

That's common practice over here. ;) Seriously though, the amount of money we pay for these insurances over the years is pretty considerable. So making use of them isn't really criminal. Well, in fact it is, but no one would really care as long as it's about something as "cheap" as this.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
At least a third, if not close to half, of the iPhones in our corporate plan have screens shattered at some point in their contract cycle. Doesn't mean its a bad device, its really user carelessness - a small handful of users are responsible for those screen breaks over and over and over.....

Awhile ago it seemed that a lot of the people I know that use iPhones had broken screens. It seemed to have been an issue with them. However, I haven't noticed as many the last while. Maybe the screens are better in the later iterations.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
From a legal perspective, you could certainly call it fraud, yeah.

That's common practice over here. ;) Seriously though, the amount of money we pay for these insurances over the years is pretty considerable. So making use of them isn't really criminal. Well, in fact it is, but no one would really care as long as it's about something as "cheap" as this.
Yeah its a victimless crime...... just like bank robbery (at least in the US) since the FDIC covers up to $250k per depositor. :wink:

I suspect the chance it will get thru is pretty slim, but what you did is wrong. We all do wrong things but its worth pointing it out when someone doesn't seem to know it. The world is a better place the more honest people are and a little bit worse place for every act of dishonesty. It all adds up. That's just my opinion; take it for what its worth. Don't rationalize or be as bad as what you see SOME others do.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah its a victimless crime...... just like bank robbery (at least in the US) since the FDIC covers up to $250k per depositor. :wink:

I suspect the chance it will get thru is pretty slim, but what you did is wrong. We all do wrong things but its worth pointing it out when someone doesn't seem to know it. The world is a better place the more honest people are and a little bit worse place for every act of dishonesty. It all adds up. That's just my opinion; take it for what its worth. Don't rationalize or be as bad as what you see SOME others do.

I'm an honest guy myself, but I do get your point. It's not that I do things like that regularly. Tbh, it was the very first time. But it saved me 250 bucks and it's definitely no loss for the insurance, considering how much they've earned from my mother alone. I wouldn't compare it with a bank robbery, which 1) is always done with threatening and violence and 2) is about much more money.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Yeah its a victimless crime...... just like bank robbery (at least in the US) since the FDIC covers up to $250k per depositor.

I suspect the chance it will get thru is pretty slim, but what you did is wrong. We all do wrong things but its worth pointing it out when someone doesn't seem to know it. The world is a better place the more honest people are and a little bit worse place for every act of dishonesty. It all adds up. That's just my opinion; take it for what its worth. Don't rationalize or be as bad as what you see SOME others do

Hahah comparing that to a bank robbery? hahaha
Really tho I don't even see it as much of something wrong. If anyone should complain, it should be his mum, not the insurance company. Shes the one who's insurance is getting used and she seems perfectly fine with it. There's no way on earth you could tell if it was he or his mum that broke the phone except they told you. I hardly think that's even a crime. But like I said, if its a crime, its a crime against the person whose insurance is used (his mum)

And to the OP, when I held my phone for the first time 2 days ago, two things came to mind.
1. "This is a solidly built phone" (my bro literally said same when he held it)
2. "If this phone ever hits the ground for some reason, I have close to zero hope for the screen"

But you know, that's something I (and I hope every costumer) was well aware of before making the purchase, and I think I saw the video you are talking about sometime ago. If the consumer wasn't aware that the phone would shatter if it falls, its a result of his failure to do a research on the phone before getting it.

Anyway the phone has a large screen and for that reason, its even more likely to shatter if it falls and that is why I got a solid case (also got the L1520 protective cover but not using that for reasons already stated).

You can see photos of my case here [ http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...lly-jumped-ship-today-but-some-questions.html ]

And this is the video you mean, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EWuz4YEk9k

Last edited by a moderator:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
hey guys i saw this video on youtube and was wondering what the opinions of you,owners of 1520s had to say about this
one of my friends discovered this video and is scared to buy a 1520
basically this guy dropped his new 1520 without a case and screen guard(at the time of drop) and calls a phablet "fragile"
i was curious to know if what the guy in the video says is true because acc to me,its not true at all
he bought a huge phone ,drops it without a scratch gard and case and blames nokia for it
he compared it to his lumia 800 but i think its an unfair comparison given the sheer size of the 1520 and thickness of the 800
what are your views ? should my friend buy the 1520 or not
I'm pretty sure that the larger the screen is the more likely it will break if hit.

You really don't say enough about your friend to say if I think (s)he should buy one or not. If (s)he drops phones "millions" of times like mentioned in the video then definitely don't buy a 1520. If (s)he never drops her phone, no sweat. If (s)he's in between, you can probably find a tough enough case for it to save most falls. The video wouldn't scare me away. But I'm over the x-games age and have never dropped a phone but was nervous when someone hit my arm hard from behind once when I was holding my 1520.3. So now I just don't use it with a crowd behind me. I don't use a case but I'm pretty sure I would if I was still bouncing off things. I did order a Nillkin case but it was obvious when it arrived it would do virtually nothing but maybe keep the back from getting scratched if the phone did fall, so its in a drawer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise