Keeping email on server after sunc?

ejvette

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm a new user coming from an iphone to a windows phone Nokia 1520 on my Iphone I could chose to not delete email on the server when syncing I can't seem to do this with the windows email app. I want to be able to read my email on my phone when out of the office but do the permanent download from the server on my office PC ....same with my home email. We don't use exchange at work. If I sync with my phone and then delete the email from my phone it deletes it off the server.
Thanks in advance
Ed

markdotai

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
It's been a while since I set up email on my phone so I can't remember if that option exists directly. But I've found Outlook.com useful for managing email on Windows Phone despite having my email originally come via a different server with my ISP. So the following might do what you want (though note I'm not set up this way :smile:)

Setup a Outlook.com account which copies emails from your server (and doesn't delete them from it) - so you will have a duplicate of everything. Make sure to check the option "Leave a copy of messages on the server".
Then sync your Windows Phone to the Outlook.com account - deleting emails from the phone will only affect the copies on Outlook.com.
And keep your office/home PC still syncing emails to your original server.

Although what I do personally is sync my home PC(s) with the Outlook.com account as well using IMAP so changes I make on any PC or phone get duplicated on all the others. So deleting an email on one moves it to the deleted items folder on all of them. And sending a reply on one is again duplicated and kept on all of them. (My ISP email server doesn't handle IMAP, only POP3, so using Outlook.com for this works great for me).

The only downside I have found going via Outlook.com is that there can be a delay between your original server getting an email and then Outlook.com downloading that email before it then goes to your phone. I read it can be up to 30 minutes delay or something like that, so it will depend on whether you get urgent response emails if this is acceptable or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans