09-28-2014 07:41 PM
113 1234 ...
tools
    Another thing I noticed about my 1520 is that it charges really quickly up to 90% but going to 100% will take maybe an additional 30mins of charging.
    What charger(s) do you use?
    09-07-2014 06:04 AM
    my 720-exact 1.5-2 days of battery life with skype,bbm,whatsapp,3G,Wifi,NFC etc all turned on
    my 820 lasts 1 day easily with the same stuff
    09-07-2014 06:26 AM
    4 days battery backup ?? That must be a Nokia 1100 ... :P
    still using my 1100 lasts 15 days ( new battery ) 920 runs for a day approx heavy user.
    09-07-2014 06:49 AM
    Rawliglat x ...

Your phone is rather new (if I remember correctly), there is a break in period for the Battery. Allow Cortana to run in the background, my experience has been this results in less consumption from Cortana (eventually, currently learning).

Check your Battery usage, periodically, to catch high consumers ...
    Overall Battery life for the device, is affected by subset of apps installed / running in the background / etc
    Gaming will deplete your Battery.
    Rawliglat x likes this.
    09-07-2014 08:13 AM
    Your phone is rather new (if I remember correctly), there is a break in period for the Battery.
    Yeah, I believe I also read something like that some time ago. Will watchout for a while.
    And the apps apps shown to consume more battery on the battery saver aren't even running so I'm unsure why it shows them.

And do you use a battery app? Which one?
    09-07-2014 08:19 AM
    Yeah, I believe I also read something like that some time ago. Will watchout for a while.
    And the apps apps shown to consume more battery on the battery saver aren't even running so I'm unsure why it shows them.
    historical data, soft reset will flush this
    And do you use a battery app? Which one?
    Battery by Arthur Semenov - a holdover from before Battery Saver

The tangent point to be taken is, the subset of apps installed has an affect on the Battery / OS stability / Storage mgmt. / etc ... Can't emphasize enough, how important that is
    09-07-2014 08:28 AM
    Battery by Arthur Semenov - a holdover from before Battery Saver
    Okay, that the same one I got. But is there a way to uninstall the inbuilt battery saver? Wont having two battery apps monitoring your battery affect battery life?
    09-07-2014 08:37 AM
    1 day 15 hours is pretty fine. Also, AFAIK the white theme consumes more battery than the black one.

I almost got a week of battery life on my 1520, but in Flight mode and almost no usage :P

http://1drv.ms/YlFduz
    Thats actually true on AMOLED screens, on LCD not so. For example LCD is of course in the 1520, 920 and 1020.

Backround tasks update the live tiles, so if you turn them off for an app, it will only have a "tile", not a live tile.
    09-07-2014 08:58 AM
    1020 is AMOLED
    09-07-2014 09:01 AM
    1020 is AMOLED
    What really, I thought its the same screen as 920, IPS LCD.

EDIT: Yes just had a look at it, its an OLED you are correct.
    09-07-2014 09:09 AM
    I believe that restricting the location usage of apps can improve battery life, even if these apps are not actually running or if you restricted them to run in the background. I only let navigation apps and maybe one or two using location permanently/automatically, others will have to ask or I'll manually allow it.
    k72 and Rawliglat x like this.
    09-07-2014 09:33 AM
    It's all about the((screen on time)) I get roughly 3 hours screen on time with my icon and that is with nothing running in the background at all and automatic brightness. With the lgg2 I get almost 7 hours screen on time with all the bells and whistles on. In love with my icon though. I'm an extreme user with my face in my phone all the time personal/work/play and I am always charging my phone. But I don't care either. LFL Lumia for life
    p.S. Just adding the lgg2 has a bigger battery so it should get better life.
    09-07-2014 10:53 AM
    Well... Theirs your answer... Letting 33 apps run in the back ground is a major battery killer. Turn them all off apart from the ones you rely on such as facebook and such.
    Something is wrong with how the battery is being managed and I having apps run in the background should not kill a phone battery like that. I have a Lumia 920. And from work, the HTC One M8. All kinds of stuff run in the back on the M8, screen brightness is up, WWF, several email utilities, several apps have a weather component so that's going on. I run Waze for the hell of it back and forth to work and never plug it in to charge during my work day. I'll be sitting at about 73 percent battery when I get home. Granted its a much larger battery than the 920 but I carry it to keep up with alerts from WPCentral. Its battery when I get home (pre-cyan) would be just over 40 percent. It did nothing but background check for email.

I'm thinking I should not need to do this kind of granular app/battery maintenance if I want to leave the house with my smart phone. Its not something those outside the walls of WPCentral are going to be interested in doing either. I think if Apple can figure it out and HTC could figure it out, Microsoft should be able to figure out how people work and build with that spec in mind. Not put out press releases on how put my smart phone into flip phone mode. Who wants to be forever tethered to a power cable?
    09-07-2014 11:23 AM
    Just wondering how the colour of the phone (white / black) is related to battery life? Have they assembled different devices?

How much battery does Blueooth drain when it's on but no device is connected?
    09-07-2014 11:27 AM
    Just wondering how the colour of the phone (white / black) is related to battery life? Have they assembled different devices?
    White color is easier to screw up -> less phone usage -> bigger battery life.
    Black color will (almost) always be black -> more usage -> less battery life.

Simple.
    anon(8985111) likes this.
    09-07-2014 11:42 AM
    Perhaps I should learn to read first. For some reason I remember having read about "device" instead of "theme". That makes more sense of course!
    09-07-2014 11:49 AM
    Perhaps I should learn to read first. For some reason I remember having read about "device" instead of "theme". That makes more sense of course!
    The same thing applies to the theme. It's easier to see dirt spots on the screen on white background, so I use my fatty fingers with the black theme lol
    09-07-2014 11:59 AM
    They dont as they are exaggerating or dont use their phone but maybe once a day. :)
    jpling likes this.
    09-07-2014 12:34 PM
    They dont as they are exaggerating or dont use their phone but maybe once a day. :)
    This. I'm usually a moderate to heavy user. One day I barely used my phone, just send a couple texts and IM's. I could have made 2 days on a full charge, that way. I can also go through a whole battery in half a day, if I were bored. Lol

I can kill my 1020's battery in a few hours. Haha
    09-07-2014 12:56 PM
    Rawliglat x ...

Your phone is rather new (if I remember correctly), there is a break in period for the Battery.
    When I first got my 920, the battery life was shockingly bad. Others in the forums had similar experience. What we found is that if this was happening, it wasn't so much a "break in period", it's that the software needed to learn how much battery life it really had. The best thing to do was to stream video or do something else battery intensive until the phone turned itself off, then turn it back on, repeating until it would not turn on. Then give it a full charge, and it should learn how much juice it has to work with.
    09-07-2014 03:05 PM
    On a different model Before GDR1 on Cyan Full Battery on my 1020 would show est time remaining on Insider app as 1 day 17-18 Hours and now it has dropped to 1 day 4-5 Hours If I am lucky.

Charged before going to bed the battery used to drain by 4% on avg every night on GDR1 but after the mini update to GDR1 the drain seems to have increased to 10-15% every night. Fingers crossed it will be taken care off when it officially releases.

FYKI for the above discharge rate noticed I had a data, wifi and location on 24/7. Switching off location doesnt seem to have any effect on insiders estimate. Mysteriously the battery sense shows all apps with background rights to drain the same amount of battery.( the worm indicator shows the same length of about 2mm.)

I drained the battery close to nothing and then recharged it full. Said the same thing. 1day 3 hours. Went to bed and this morning funny thing the batter had drained down to 87%%%%. Shocker, the litlle F*&U*r used to drain only 4% overnight. from memory. but now AARGHhhh! on the other hand insider which was showing 1day 3 hours was now down by only 3 hours 0_o. put it to charge again for 18 mins to get to 100% and then mysteriously insider shows 1day 6 hours and 55 mins. Well I went to work few call, couple of texts and some photos browsing few mins on FB and reach home after 9.5 hours to find battery down to 76% which was my normal thing before this thing started. Anyway Insider shows 1 day and few mins left. Weird Isnt it for same settings and different battery levels Insider shows similar time remaining.
    I dont know why I get a feeling that GDR1 is messing with the insider somehow. What do you reckon? Do you have GDR1?
    09-07-2014 03:29 PM
    Rawligat ...

You have official CYAN on your phone, CORRECT ?

Patience is the key !

FWIW - I found Battery life was amazing with official CYAN (w WinPhone 8.1) - once I updated to Dev Preview Update 1, it went south (somewhat). There is a break in period, for whatever purpose ...
    @ ~~ 2 week mark (barring major app disruption) you should see your Battery consumption level out.

I'd say, if you can put it on the charger @ nite w ~~ 40% left (60% use after 15 hours, or 4% per hour), it'll offset those long days w heavier usage.
    Rawliglat x likes this.
    09-07-2014 05:32 PM
    Rawligat ...

You have official CYAN on your phone, CORRECT ?

Patience is the key !

FWIW - I found Battery life was amazing with official CYAN (w WinPhone 8.1) - once I updated to Dev Preview Update 1, it went south (somewhat). There is a break in period, for whatever purpose ...
    @ ~~ 2 week mark (barring major app disruption) you should see your Battery consumption level out.

I'd say, if you can put it on the charger @ nite w ~~ 40% left (60% use after 15 hours, or 4% per hour), it'll offset those long days w heavier usage.
    Thanks for the info. I've gotten a couple of similar suggestions. @mpelti also suggested I should let the battery run out to let the apps calibrate their power consumption with my battery, what do you think of that?
    Personally, I haven't let my battery run below 80% since my first full charge (2 days ago). I once read in the forums that overcharging isn't harmful to Li-Ion batteries but a complete discharge is.
    09-07-2014 05:43 PM
    I have a Lumia 920, and I will probably consider myself a light user. On an average normal day, I would unplug my phone in the morning at 6:30am, go through the day making and receiving, at times, dozens of calls, dozens of texts, plus bouts of checking Instagram or some websites, and by the time I end the day at night when I plug it in, I have roughly 80% left. There have been times when I would use it lightly, just a few calls, and maybe Instagram a couple times, and I would end the day with 90+% battery left. If I play some games, I would have roughly 50% left. If I forget to charge the phone one night, that's okay, as I would find I have about 70% left in the morning when I find out I forgot lol.
    09-07-2014 07:09 PM
    I have a Lumia 920, and I will probably consider myself a light user. On an average normal day, I would unplug my phone in the morning at 6:30am, go through the day making and receiving, at times, dozens of calls, dozens of texts, plus bouts of checking Instagram or some websites, and by the time I end the day at night when I plug it in, I have roughly 80% left. There have been times when I would use it lightly, just a few calls, and maybe Instagram a couple times, and I would end the day with 90+% battery left. If I play some games, I would have roughly 50% left. If I forget to charge the phone one night, that's okay, as I would find I have about 70% left in the morning when I find out I forgot lol.
    WTF? I never got a full day on my L920, ever.
    09-07-2014 08:07 PM
113 1234 ...