How on earth do people get 2-4 days of battery?

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
re:

Perhaps I should learn to read first. For some reason I remember having read about "device" instead of "theme". That makes more sense of course!

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
re:

Perhaps I should learn to read first. For some reason I remember having read about "device" instead of "theme". That makes more sense of course!

The same thing applies to the theme. It's easier to see dirt spots on the screen on white background, so I use my fatty fingers with the black theme lol

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
They dont as they are exaggerating or dont use their phone but maybe once a day. :)

This. I'm usually a moderate to heavy user. One day I barely used my phone, just send a couple texts and IM's. I could have made 2 days on a full charge, that way. I can also go through a whole battery in half a day, if I were bored. Lol

I can kill my 1020's battery in a few hours. Haha

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
re:

Rawliglat x ...

Your phone is rather new (if I remember correctly), there is a break in period for the Battery.

When I first got my 920, the battery life was shockingly bad. Others in the forums had similar experience. What we found is that if this was happening, it wasn't so much a "break in period", it's that the software needed to learn how much battery life it really had. The best thing to do was to stream video or do something else battery intensive until the phone turned itself off, then turn it back on, repeating until it would not turn on. Then give it a full charge, and it should learn how much juice it has to work with.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
re:

On a different model Before GDR1 on Cyan Full Battery on my 1020 would show est time remaining on Insider app as 1 day 17-18 Hours and now it has dropped to 1 day 4-5 Hours If I am lucky.

Charged before going to bed the battery used to drain by 4% on avg every night on GDR1 but after the mini update to GDR1 the drain seems to have increased to 10-15% every night. Fingers crossed it will be taken care off when it officially releases.

FYKI for the above discharge rate noticed I had a data, wifi and location on 24/7. Switching off location doesnt seem to have any effect on insiders estimate. Mysteriously the battery sense shows all apps with background rights to drain the same amount of battery.( the worm indicator shows the same length of about 2mm.)

I drained the battery close to nothing and then recharged it full. Said the same thing. 1day 3 hours. Went to bed and this morning funny thing the batter had drained down to 87%%%%. Shocker, the litlle F*&U*r used to drain only 4% overnight. from memory. but now AARGHhhh! on the other hand insider which was showing 1day 3 hours was now down by only 3 hours 0_o. put it to charge again for 18 mins to get to 100% and then mysteriously insider shows 1day 6 hours and 55 mins. Well I went to work few call, couple of texts and some photos browsing few mins on FB and reach home after 9.5 hours to find battery down to 76% which was my normal thing before this thing started. Anyway Insider shows 1 day and few mins left. Weird Isnt it for same settings and different battery levels Insider shows similar time remaining.
I dont know why I get a feeling that GDR1 is messing with the insider somehow. What do you reckon? Do you have GDR1?

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
re:

Rawligat ...

You have official CYAN on your phone, CORRECT ?

Patience is the key !

FWIW - I found Battery life was amazing with official CYAN (w WinPhone 8.1) - once I updated to Dev Preview Update 1, it went south (somewhat). There is a break in period, for whatever purpose ...
@ ~~ 2 week mark (barring major app disruption) you should see your Battery consumption level out.

I'd say, if you can put it on the charger @ nite w ~~ 40% left (60% use after 15 hours, or 4% per hour), it'll offset those long days w heavier usage.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
re:

Rawligat ...

You have official CYAN on your phone, CORRECT ?

Patience is the key !

FWIW - I found Battery life was amazing with official CYAN (w WinPhone 8.1) - once I updated to Dev Preview Update 1, it went south (somewhat). There is a break in period, for whatever purpose ...
@ ~~ 2 week mark (barring major app disruption) you should see your Battery consumption level out.

I'd say, if you can put it on the charger @ nite w ~~ 40% left (60% use after 15 hours, or 4% per hour), it'll offset those long days w heavier usage.
Thanks for the info. I've gotten a couple of similar suggestions. @mpelti also suggested I should let the battery run out to let the apps calibrate their power consumption with my battery, what do you think of that?
Personally, I haven't let my battery run below 80% since my first full charge (2 days ago). I once read in the forums that overcharging isn't harmful to Li-Ion batteries but a complete discharge is.

sixium

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
re:

I have a Lumia 920, and I will probably consider myself a light user. On an average normal day, I would unplug my phone in the morning at 6:30am, go through the day making and receiving, at times, dozens of calls, dozens of texts, plus bouts of checking Instagram or some websites, and by the time I end the day at night when I plug it in, I have roughly 80% left. There have been times when I would use it lightly, just a few calls, and maybe Instagram a couple times, and I would end the day with 90+% battery left. If I play some games, I would have roughly 50% left. If I forget to charge the phone one night, that's okay, as I would find I have about 70% left in the morning when I find out I forgot lol.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
re:

I have a Lumia 920, and I will probably consider myself a light user. On an average normal day, I would unplug my phone in the morning at 6:30am, go through the day making and receiving, at times, dozens of calls, dozens of texts, plus bouts of checking Instagram or some websites, and by the time I end the day at night when I plug it in, I have roughly 80% left. There have been times when I would use it lightly, just a few calls, and maybe Instagram a couple times, and I would end the day with 90+% battery left. If I play some games, I would have roughly 50% left. If I forget to charge the phone one night, that's okay, as I would find I have about 70% left in the morning when I find out I forgot lol.

WTF? I never got a full day on my L920, ever.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
re:

Skype is your number 1 battery killer. It will also eat your data like no one's business if you're logged in. If you don't use it, turn it off.

Sent from my P6095 using Tapatalk

Can't recommend this advice. I run skype in the background and it uses next to no battery. If I'm not being called or messaged, it uses nothing.

Lumia 1520, after 1.5 days, I'm at 56%. Light use. Anyone getting 4 days is either lying, or is hardly using their phone. Note: I run minimal background tasks, most features disabled. I only use well optimised apps.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
re:

Just make calls and check calendar, NO APPS & 2-4 days is easy.
Those who claim they do and they have all these apps open
and using tons data are s-t-r-e-t-c-h-I-n-g the truth to put it mildly.
Forums are full of bull*hiters.

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
re:

Fully charge ur phone batt to 100%, unplug the power cord, and immediately set ur Battery Saver mode to On, and Until next charge.

A whole night's sleep will only drain 0-2%. That's my 1020 with Data and LTE on. (Whatsapp, fb, and Battery app are on but useless now since the battery saver mode is on anyway).

kavita10

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
re:

WTF? I never got a full day on my L920, ever.

Me too.. after cyan the battery has just gone south.. Not on DP GDR 1 and I have a lousy battery. App says just 11 hrs of battery life.. mind u updated to cyan yesterday using NSRT ... seriously hating the battery of 920 now... Black used to give me 20 hrs of battery life on a dozen phone calls, texts, whatsapp, surfgin and music for about 30 minutes.. I would be lucky if I get 8 hrs on the same pattern.. No I dont have cortana on and background task's restricted to 3 apps and they are not FB or instagram or skype..

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

Mine actually drains unusually fast during the first 2 hours.. (Like 6-7% per hour).. Then at the end of the day it's at around 70% battery life. Insane. Try not paying attention to the Battery meter and you'll see what we mean.

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
re:

If I do not play any games, I get 2 or more days battery life on my Lumia 1320. But if I play a lot of games then it lasts me for a day. My phone is running WP8.1 with Cyan firmware.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Try these things to save battery
1. Turn on battery saver mode
2. Check emails manually
3. Use a dark theme
4. Turn off the live tile updates which you are not using
5. Keep location off(turn on only when you need it). Also keep in mind that your phone won't update unless location is on, so do keep location on while updating your phone
6. If you don't use 3g, then keep your phone in 2g mode. Go to settings > mobile + sim > highest connection speed > 2g
7. Lower the brightness & keep automatically adjust on
8. Lower the lock screen time out
9. Turn off vibrations, banners of the apps from the notification centre
10. Keep wifi off, turn on when you need it
11. Turn off the windows keys vibration
12. Turn off glance if not required
13. Disable the keypad sounds, camera sounds if not required
14. If you are a gamer, using Wi-Fi, not expecting any calls then use flight mode
15. Turn off the background tasks of apps, if possible
16. Keep sunlight readability off & battery saver brightness on

I have 1320, If I play games the whole day, I'll have to charge my phone twice a day, otherwise surely it will last for 3 days without charge or even more

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
re:

Try these things to save battery
1. Turn on battery saver mode
2. Check emails manually
3. Use a dark theme
4. Turn off the live tile updates which you are not using
5. Keep location off(turn on only when you need it). Also keep in mind that your phone won't update unless location is on, so do keep location on while updating your phone
6. If you don't use 3g, then keep your phone in 2g mode. Go to settings > mobile + sim > highest connection speed > 2g
7. Lower the brightness & keep automatically adjust on
8. Lower the lock screen time out
9. Turn off vibrations, banners of the apps from the notification centre
10. Keep wifi off, turn on when you need it
11. Turn off the windows keys vibration
12. Turn off glance if not required
13. Disable the keypad sounds, camera sounds if not required
14. If you are a gamer, using Wi-Fi, not expecting any calls then use flight mode
15. Turn off the background tasks of apps, if possible

I have 1320, If I play games the whole day, I'll have to charge my phone twice a day, otherwise surely it will last for 3 days without charge or even more

If I have to do all that I might as well have a feature phone. Smartphones historically have low battery life. It's easier to charge it every night than to cripple every feature for the sake of 2 days of battery life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss