USB cables for charging.

vrokolos

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I've bought some 3-meter (10ft) USB cables from ebay to use for charging my 1520. I hadn't realize until now that USB cables matter a lot for charging times.

I always thought that only

a) The charger's Amperage

b) If the cable was charge-only or data+charge

would affect charging speed.

This changed yesterday when I tried 2 different data-usb cables for charging with the stock 1520 charger and one charged REALLY slow while the other super fast.

Do you guys know of any cheap long length usb cable that can be used for fast charging?

What should I be looking for?

Also.. Any news on Quick Charge 2.0?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
From a technical point of view I can't see how one would charge faster than the other. My only thoughts on this is that one of your cables must have had an issue of some sort. Bad connection would be my first guess. Assuming they were the same length.

Keep in mind that there are other factors you don't realise. When a cable gets longer you have a voltage drop, the longer the cable the bigger the voltage drop. When you're dealing with 24VDC and small current the drop can be significant as you go longer. This is why there is a maximum size for USB cables that act as power cords.

Saying that 3m should be fine for charging. I would suggest buying a USB cable that is quality built and tested. Be wary of anything that is overly cheap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petazinta