Random problem with heat, battery drain, "loading" screen

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have an AT&T Lumia 1520 and after the WP 8.1/Lumia Cyan update I've had an intermittent problem where the phone gets really hot and drains the battery while idle. When I wake it up, it's stuck on a white "loading" screen. I have to force a reboot by holding down the power button for several seconds. That fixes it until the next mysterious occurrence. This has been happening off and on since the update and I haven't a clue what's causing it. I always make sure all apps are closed when I put the phone to sleep. After these occurrences, I check the app usage but none of the apps listed show an unusually high amount of usage. So it seems to be some sort of bug in the firmware/software.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a problem only on the Lumia 1520? I'm wondering how widespread of an issue this is. Anyone know what's causing this problem and if there is a fix? I wonder if Nokia/Microsoft is even aware of the issue.

I also have an AT&T Lumia 635 that came with the update and an AT&T Lumia 920 that I recently updated, and so far, neither of those phones have had this problem, just the 1520.

I did find a thread on the Nokia support forums where a few others reported the same problem. No mention of a fix though. One person suggested doing a hard reset. Another person said they did that and that it didn't help. Someone else suggested using the Nokia Software Recovery Tool, I guess to reinstall the update. I haven't tried any of these things yet. Was wondering if someone else has and if it fixed the problem. Not sure if I should try it, or just live with this and wait for the WP 8.1.1/Lumia Denim update to see if it fixes it.

I'd appreciate any help/advice about this problem. If a lot of you are having this same problem, please comment, and I can send this thread to Nokia Support. Thanks!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You say a white screen... Do you run Light Theme? My screen is black when it happens.

You say Loading... Does it say "Resuming" by any chance? That's what mine says when it happens.

Mind you I'm on a 1520.3, but also I'm using 8.1 + Cyan, no P4D. I reset via Nokia Software Recovery and it came back anyway.

Check my post in this thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1/305373-resuming-when-i-unlock-my-phone.html I have a theory about stock media players and SD cards...

Also a new theory is put forward there by NexEverto about the Cortana Tile....

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
You say a white screen... Do you run Light Theme? My screen is black when it happens.

You say Loading... Does it say "Resuming" by any chance? That's what mine says when it happens.

Mind you I'm on a 1520.3, but also I'm using 8.1 + Cyan, no P4D. I reset via Nokia Software Recovery and it came back anyway.

Check my post in this thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1/305373-resuming-when-i-unlock-my-phone.html I have a theory about stock media players and SD cards...

Also a new theory is put forward there by NexEverto about the Cortana Tile....

Thanks for your reply. To answer your questions, yes, I'm using the light theme so my background is white. And it does say "Loading" with the little spinning circle. It appears to be trying to load the start screen. I would assume that your "Resuming" is the same thing. Thanks for letting me know using the Nokia Software Recovery Tool didn't work for you. It saves me the trouble of trying it. Thanks also for your link to the other thread. I'll check it out. I also read on another thread about this problem possibly being caused by having Cortana pinned to the start screen, so I've just unpinned it. We'll see if that does the trick. I have Cortana pinned on my Lumia 635 and 920, and so far no issue on those phones. This seems to be a 1520 only issue. Weird. Hopefully, the next update will fix this.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... The thread I linked, someone mentioned Cortana as well...

Of the two, I'd much rather use 3rd party media players than give up Cortana on my Start Screen.

Cortana is still there and no Resume yet... After about 34 hours off the stock Music and Video Apps.

Peter Harvey

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Everytime my Lumia 1520 heats up, I go to Battery Saver, then Bing News, then I turn off the background, and I find that this stops the overheating and battery drain.
If it doesn't, then I do a soft reboot.
Problem fixed - until it occurs again another time...

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... The thread I linked, someone mentioned Cortana as well...

Of the two, I'd much rather use 3rd party media players than give up Cortana on my Start Screen.

Cortana is still there and no Resume yet... After about 34 hours off the stock Music and Video Apps.

Not sure the stock Music and Video apps have anything to do with the problem I described in my original post, considering I haven't used those apps and that issue still happened. I don't have any music or videos stored on my SD Card either. My issue has been intermittent. Often several days go by between occurrences. Was it happening more frequently for you? Just thinking that after 34 hours it still may be too soon to tell if the issue is resolved. Fingers crossed. On my end, we'll see what unpinning Cortana does.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not inconceivable there could be more than one "conflict" that causes this issue...

It was starting to happen frequently and that is how I noticed the stock player correlation on my 1520.3. Still no issues... I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Thing is; I leave the end of September for one month in Italy. I want thi sorted before I go. I would also like Cortana front and center while taking multiple flights...

I hope no Cortana solves it for you. But I'm sad you have to take her off the start screen...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Everytime my Lumia 1520 heats up, I go to Battery Saver, then Bing News, then I turn off the background, and I find that this stops the overheating and battery drain.
If it doesn't, then I do a soft reboot.
Problem fixed - until it occurs again another time...

Yep... and a significant hit to battery. If the phone isn't in your pocket (and this beast frequently is not) or your hand, you don't have the heat for a clue it is happening again.

The soft reset to provide temporary relief isn't a cure... It's an aspirin.

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Having the same heating/draining issue on my 920 after updating to cyan with update 1. It is totally random. Sometimes I'm getting only a couple of hours of battery life and then other times I can go a couple of days without really having to charge after light usage. For instance yesterday after taking the phone off the charger at about 8 am I still had 71% battery left at 10pm when I put it on before turning in. There is no pattern to it. A soft reset only appears to solve the problem at the time it is happening. As the op stated checking in the battery saver app shows nothing with high usage. I did turn off Bing news being able to run in the background a couple of days ago and that seems to have helped if yesterday is anything to go by. Hasn't been off long enough to know for certain yet though.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like we are getting a variety of background processes which don't stop when the app requiring them is no longer active...

Germak

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem with my 1520 for a long time.the problem solved for me after unpin Cortana live tile and uninstalling Skype.I think that this freezing issue is from Cortana only.hope that I helped you!!!

quadxeon

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here. I disabled Cortana (changed region) one week ago. The next 100% charge gave five (5!) days with normal use. I was very happy with that. Then, two days ago, I went to bed with 95%, enabled flight mode, next morning, after 6 hours, the battery was on 20% and the Lumia was hot. Charged it again yesterday evening (100%), went to bed - flight mode - after six hours 16% and the device was hot. I don't get it.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's been 5 days since I've unpinned Cortana from my 1520's start screen and so far so good. Have not had any more occurrences of the heat/battery drain/frozen "loading" screen issue. We'll see if this lasts. I sure hope the next update brings a fix for all these random issues. On a flagship device like the 1520, these bugs are not acceptable.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here. I disabled Cortana (changed region) one week ago. The next 100% charge gave five (5!) days with normal use. I was very happy with that. Then, two days ago, I went to bed with 95%, enabled flight mode, next morning, after 6 hours, the battery was on 20% and the Lumia was hot. Charged it again yesterday evening (100%), went to bed - flight mode - after six hours 16% and the device was hot. I don't get it.

Seems really weird that enabling flight mode would cause all that battery drain. If flight mode is enabled, the phone shouldn't be doing anything in the background, right? I really don't get that either. Have you tried a soft reset?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've unpinned Cortana from Start, but am also careful to back out of Apps (repeat tapping Back key until App closes) as I'm hearing some background processes don't close when an App is closed from the multitasking view (hold Back key for card view)...

I have not had any problems yet...

quadxeon

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. Yes, I tried a soft reset. I think this is a random behavior. Perhaps the phone is trying to sync something? I always use the back key and I never leave programs open (file manager etc.).

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. Yes, I tried a soft reset. I think this is a random behavior. Perhaps the phone is trying to sync something? I always use the back key and I never leave programs open (file manager etc.).

The base issue is that Microsoft have now left it to the developer to decide how the App behaves on Back Key command and there is no longer a set behavior across all Apps...

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I have had this issue a couple of times. It doesn't happen often, but it's enough to create a physiological unreliability on the phone and battery life.

I have never installed Cortana on this install, and always use Back key to close all Apps.

First time it happened right after using the Files App, but I don't know if that's the Couse.

chamindu mihiranga

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here. heating on the top back and loading & loading. I did a hard reset as well, unpinned cortana, uninstalled all irrelevant apps. nothing worked. is this a software issue or hardware issue?
why anyone doesn't suggest a clear solution for this? I m in stress now! :cry:

chamindu mihiranga

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here. heating on the top back and loading & loading. I did a hard reset as well, unpinned cortana, uninstalled all irrelevant apps. nothing worked. is this a software issue or hardware issue?
why anyone doesn't suggest a clear solution for this? I m in stress now!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077