Hey Everyone... first question on the forum. I just ordered a 1520 to use on the New Cricket network that is run by AT&T. After I ordered it I wondered about future updates. Not sure if the used phone come with Windows 8 or 8.1. So my question is... Do the OS updates come from the Windows store or the carrier? I am concerned about being stuck with no future updates even when windows 9 come along.

Should I be concerned about getting the most up to date OS even tho I'm not on AT&T?
    09-15-2014 01:21 AM
    OS (Windows Phone 8 and 8.1) updates come from Microsoft. You will get them when they are out. There is an app called Preview for Developers that you can use to get updates before they are officially released. Be warned that DP OS's may have bugs such as battery issues, resuming/loading bug, some disabled functions, etc. I'm not saying that you will have those problems, but you might. It depends individually on the unit, not by the model. I've seen some 1520 users get f'd up batteries but I didn't.

The update that depends on your carrier is the firmware (Lumia Black, Cyan, Denim) update. You'll have to wait for your carrier to test and release it before you can get it. This varies, some carriers (or regions for unlocked phones) may release it before others do. Having Preview for Developers DOES NOT allow you to get it early, only by flashing to a ROM that has it available already will allow you to get it if your carrier/region does not allow you to yet.

You need not to worry about getting stuck as the 1520 still has a long way to go before its hardware can no longer support new features.
    09-15-2014 01:30 AM
    OS (Windows Phone 8 and 8.1) updates come from Microsoft. You will get them when they are out. There is an app called Preview for Developers that you can use to get updates before they are officially released. Be warned that DP OS's may have bugs such as battery issues, resuming/loading bug, some disabled functions, etc. I'm not saying that you will have those problems, but you might. It depends individually on the unit, not by the model. I've seen some 1520 users get f'd up batteries but I didn't.

The update that depends on your carrier is the firmware (Lumia Black, Cyan, Denim) update. You'll have to wait for your carrier to test and release it before you can get it. This varies, some carriers (or regions for unlocked phones) may release it before others do. Having Preview for Developers DOES NOT allow you to get it early, only by flashing to a ROM that has it available already will allow you to get it if your carrier/region does not allow you to yet.

You need not to worry about getting stuck as the 1520 still has a long way to go before its hardware can no longer support new features.
    That info is good to know. I'm sure I won't get any firmware update through Cricket for this phone. What does the firmware consist of? And would I need it in the future?
    09-15-2014 01:37 AM
    That info is good to know. I'm sure I won't get any firmware update through Cricket for this phone. What does the firmware consist of? And would I need it in the future?
    Firmware is the software that makes your phone run and it depends on your phone's manufacturer. I don't know exactly what it contains but I do know it has the software needed to make the hardware run. And yes you will need it. The reason why people on WP8.1 DP had problems with their phones is because they have the new OS, but lack the firmware needed to run it smoothly and reliably. The last Lumia update, Cyan, had camera and battery improvements, sensorcore and it unlocked some features that I should be able to use, but was unable to when I was in DP such as data connection and internet sharing.
    09-15-2014 01:59 AM
    Keep an eye on the forums and when new updates happen, try and get them manually through Settings > Phone Update... If you can't get it (and you still should) someone here will help. This table shows your AT&T branded 1520 should have Windows Phone 8.1 (OS) + Lumia Cyan (Firmware): Availability in North America - Nokia You should not need to update until 8.1.1 + Denim is released through AT&T.

Meanwhile, enjoy your new toy... IMHO, 1520 is the phone to have.
    09-15-2014 11:13 AM