Working over Remote Desktop feasible?

andykl

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I am wondering whether anyone has tried to remote desktop to a computer and been able to actually been productive? I am a developer and sometimes I have to do quick code fixes while on the move. Would be nice to not have to carry a laptop/tablet around.
I understand that it is still not possible to connect external keyboards or mice to Window phones so I might have to get a Galaxy Note 3 or 4 instead. But it would be interesting to hear about other users' experiences with the 1520.
Cheers

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I have found that as long as the target is Windows 8.x or Server 2012 (or higher) it works well as all of the Touch Commands are available through the RDP Protocol (means you can bring up the On Screen Keyboard). It would be a challenge on a Windows 7 and earlier or Server 2008 R2 and earlier....

andykl

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, can you be productive even though the phone's screen is so small? Or do you have to zoom in and constantly scroll around the screen?

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, can you be productive even though the phone's screen is so small? Or do you have to zoom in and constantly scroll around the screen?

It's not productive in my opinion. I'm able to use it to quickly look things up on my computer or to resume a certain task or whatever but typing on it is too cumbersome as the onscreen keyboard takes up too much of the screen, at least for desktop apps. Metro/Modern apps a little bit better but still not as practical as I would like. If portability is important, I would consider maybe adding an 8 inch tablet with a keyboard case and then you can use Internet sharing on the 1520 to give WiFi to the tablet wherever WiFi isn't available.

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
It depends on what you're attempting to do, if you are looking at using it for a 6" VDI solution, no it won't work....if you are looking at doing a quick check of status/service, some quick maintenance that doesn't require to much interaction....

Scenarios that make sense:

Starting or Stopping a Service
Moving/Copying a File
Review Logs
Quick Edit
Starting or Checking a Job or Download

wp_ss_20140915_0001.pngwp_ss_20140915_0002.png

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads