• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Check out the best deals!
    Hi, my original 1520.3 bit the dust (http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...-bit-dust.html) right after running a benchmarking app posted in the forums (http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...ttle-test.html). I assume it may have overheated some marginal component that last little bit. Phone started alternating between ignoring input to imagining input, even when sitting on a table. It would sometimes work for a while after a reset so I used the Hardware Tests apps to see if I might get a clue as to what part(s) were acting up. But everything passed when the phone was working EXCEPT the compass was way off and pretty much constantly rotating slowly, usually about 1/4 the speed of a second hand on a clock.

Anyway, B&H sent me another new 1520.3 and this time I decided to test all the systems up front (Hardware Tests | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)). Everything worked great EXCEPT (you guessed it) the compass is doing the same thing as the original phone. It does this at home and it does it out in the desert away from civilization.

Anyone know what could be causing this? Seems unlikely that both my 1520.3s have the same bug unless most of them do. Or maybe the Hardware Tests App is whack.
    Last edited by HoosierDaddy; 09-19-2014 at 01:27 PM.
    09-19-2014 01:01 PM
    IDK what the deal is with compass... Mine needs calibration every time it opens.
    09-22-2014 04:42 PM
    Mine has no compass at all! I'm getting the following message from the Jack of Tools Pro compass app: compass not functioning; this phone does not have a compass.

Today is the first time I've tried to use the compass on my Lumia 1520 since having the glass digitizer replaced by Palco.

I believe the compass was fully functional before sending it in for repair. Is there any chance that the compass was damaged during the screen replacement?
    10-04-2014 07:29 AM
    Mine has no compass at all! I'm getting the following message from the Jack of Tools Pro compass app: compass not functioning; this phone does not have a compass.

Today is the first time I've tried to use the compass on my Lumia 1520 since having the glass digitizer replaced by Palco.

I believe the compass was fully functional before sending it in for repair. Is there any chance that the compass was damaged during the screen replacement?
    Either by them or maybe more likely when it fell and the screen broke. I would think it would be a good business practice for them to check everything when repairing a broken phone. I mean depending on the main problem, the owner may not even be able to test for other issues after a failure. It's really dumb to send a malfunctioning item back. Its just begging for someone to blame them and they would have no way to deny. Plus an angry customer is not a repeat customer or word of mouth advocate regardless of who is really responsible. I don't know if it exists but its certainly possible to have an app that tests all the chips on a phone so it wouldn't even add much time for the tech to check everything. A customer might not even want one problem repaired if they knew there were a bunch of other problems that would cost more than the item was worth to fix them all.

If they didn't test everything (as soon as possible), I think they should fix the compass for free. If they did check everything and didn't tell you, they need to get their act together.
    Madam ImAdam likes this.
    10-04-2014 09:38 AM
    I've sent an email to Palco to inquire about this. I should have checked all of the other functionality upon receipt. I've had a few issues with the phone before the cracked screen and lots of "learning curve" issues with the OS, now the compass, that are making the ownership experience with this device (and the OS) is not as great as I would have liked!
    10-04-2014 11:42 AM