Ditching my Note 3. 1520 or 930?

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
If you aren't okay with the size of the Note 3 you definitely will find the 1520 too huge as well.

Go for 930, I guess. Or maybe you should consider other options such as the OnePlusOne or iPhone 6 Plus.

They are smaller than the Note 3 while still providing a good balance.

op-wants a windows phone only and no android
everyone else- suggests windows phones only
read the original post

Nebel

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Hardware failures don't concern me. If it's broken, I will send it back and get a new phone. Besides, as I mentioned earlier, I think that I ordered a 1520.3 which should be more refined and not have the first batch issues.

Honestly, the main expectation I have from 1520 is that Internet Explorer is exactly as it is on my tablet, Asus TF810. I have used a lot of Android phones and always been frustrated the way it handled videos and sites like YouTube. It was a nightmare to try and watch something on YouTube while being in desktop mode. I almost always had to use the mobile app, which was limiting availability of some videos.
My TF810 works EXACTLY like my computer, except it's much slower (still has no issues playing 1080p videos). I think that Snapdragon 800 is also faster than my Atom tablet which I bought almost 2 years ago.

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I think you made a good choice. That phone is too big for me but if I were in the market for a large phone that would most likely be my choice. It's a nice looking phone.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys...

I am looking to upgrade from my L720. The obvious choice for me is the L930 (I am in the UK). My basic idea is to get a phone with a 5 inch screen. I considered the L1520 but it is too big and I am sure I will find it cumbersome to deal with over time. However, I have been reading reviews of the L930 and while the specs look OK (with a few issues like the lack of "Glance", which I really like on the L720 etc.), and leaving aside some of the adverse reports on the L930 which I have read on this forum, I was wondering that given that it is already Sept. now, would it be more pertinent to wait for the next generation of Windows phones?

I had briefly considered Android phones (particularly the Moto X) but gave up the idea because I am really not a fan of Android and do not use Gmail and related services at all. The iPhone 6 with its 4.7 inch screen would have been an option given the fact that all MS services that I use - OneDrive, OneNote, Outlook etc. - are available on iOS (and on Android, for that matter), but I am not really into Apple stuff - the iPad Air is the only exception, which I use for work purposes.

So, then what are the options? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Edit: I should add that my ideal phone screen size is 5 inches.

Last edited:

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
hi guys...

I am looking to upgrade from my l720. The obvious choice for me is the l930 (i am in the uk). My basic idea is to get a phone with a 5 inch screen. I considered the l1520 but it is too big and i am sure i will find it cumbersome to deal with over time. However, i have been reading reviews of the l930 and while the specs look ok (with a few issues like the lack of "glance", which i really like on the l720 etc.), and leaving aside some of the adverse reports on the l930 which i have read on this forum, i was wondering that given that it is already sept. Now, would it be more pertinent to wait for the next generation of windows phones?

I had briefly considered android phones (particularly the moto x) but gave up the idea because i am really not a fan of android and do not use gmail and related services at all. The iphone 6 with its 4.7 inch screen would have been an option given the fact that all ms services that i use - onedrive, onenote, outlook etc. - are available on ios (and on android, for that matter), but i am not really into apple stuff - the ipad air is the only exception, which i use for work purposes.

l830.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm about to pull the trigger and order either 930 or 1520. I really got tired of Android and I'm liking Win8 a lot on my tablet.
The question is, should I go large size 1520 with good battery, or smaller size 930 with a better screen (?) and according to some reviews, bad battery (battery is kinda important to me).
My Note 3 feels just a bit too big, but I'm not sure about that small 5" screen (I had HTC One X before Note 3, which was 4.7" if I remember correctly). And 1520 seems HUGE!

How are the screens compared between 1520 and 930? I know that 930 have more DPI so it's sharper, but which one is more beautiful?
Also, I surf the web A LOT. I barely ever send sms or call. Although I do type a lot on Facebook, etc. I so want the 1520 but I don't know about that size, and I prefer the design on 930, and also I don't know about it's size, might be too small for web/social media.

If you've already used note 3, them 1520 would not be too big for you. Its 5.7" against 6", not much difference. But if you find your note 3 big, go for 930. Screen doesn't matter, OLED in 930 has its own advantages & disadvantages, same goes with IPS LCD display. Its your choice, both the phones are good

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys...

I am looking to upgrade from my L720. The obvious choice for me is the L930 (I am in the UK). My basic idea is to get a phone with a 5 inch screen. I considered the L1520 but it is too big and I am sure I will find it cumbersome to deal with over time. However, I have been reading reviews of the L930 and while the specs look OK (with a few issues like the lack of "Glance", which I really like on the L720 etc.), and leaving aside some of the adverse reports on the L930 which I have read on this forum, I was wondering that given that it is already Sept. now, would it be more pertinent to wait for the next generation of Windows phones?

I had briefly considered Android phones (particularly the Moto X) but gave up the idea because I am really not a fan of Android and do not use Gmail and related services at all. The iPhone 6 with its 4.7 inch screen would have been an option given the fact that all MS services that I use - OneDrive, OneNote, Outlook etc. - are available on iOS (and on Android, for that matter), but I am not really into Apple stuff - the iPad Air is the only exception, which I use for work purposes.

Currently 930 is a good phone. If you are really willing to wait, wait for 925 successor, which won't be announced soon. It'll at least take some months. If 5" is ideal, & you can't wait, then go for 930

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
actually you "shove them" down peoples throats in every thread and try to glamourise android even when no one asked

What I do in other threads doesn't matter here, I told him to just "consider" devices that have 5.5 inch screens, if Windows Phone had any phones in that screen size I would've recommended them.

Correct👍, I totally agree with you, even when OP doesn't want android, he'll still give Android options to them in EVERY THREAD!

I didn't tell him to get Android, I told him to just consider some 5.5 inch screens. -.-

If he doesn't want them, I won't force them to.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
What I do in other threads doesn't matter here, I told him to just "consider" devices that have 5.5 inch screens, if Windows Phone had any phones in that screen size I would've recommended them.

I didn't tell him to get Android, I told him to just consider some 5.5 inch screens. -.-

If he doesn't want them, I won't force them to.

How true is that statement 'It doesn't matter'. It really doesn't matter unless you want it to.
Op has been clear that note 3 was big for him, he was tired with Android, 1520 is huge. 930 has a good design. This all itself says that he just wanted a 1520 or a 930. Now it'll be good if we stick to the topic of this thread

Last edited:

anon8855939

May 15, 2014
Visit site
If you aren't okay with the size of the Note 3 you definitely will find the 1520 too huge as well.

Go for 930, I guess. Or maybe you should consider other options such as the OnePlusOne or iPhone 6 Plus.

They are smaller than the Note 3 while still providing a good balance.
Haha troll detected.. :D

jimkraz

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I have recently purchased a 1320, near enough the same size as 1520, I installed PAPYRUS lets me take small notes with either stylus or finger, I know the 1320 has a lower spec but its still a great phone and for someone who's sight is getting worse the size is great and being a pensioner I could not justify spending more than the ?220 it cost for the 1320.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I have recently purchased a 1320, near enough the same size as 1520, I installed PAPYRUS lets me take small notes with either stylus or finger, I know the 1320 has a lower spec but its still a great phone and for someone who's sight is getting worse the size is great and being a pensioner I could not justify spending more than the ?220 it cost for the 1320.

Even I have 1320, great phone, I agree. At a good price

anon(4244158)

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
I would say the 1520, as you are used to a big smartphone. In terms of internals, they are largely similar so you won't be loosing much on either one.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I would say the 1520, as you are used to a big smartphone. In terms of internals, they are largely similar so you won't be loosing much on either one.

1520 is good, but it all depends on OP. 5" of 930 can't be considered small. 1520 is still better in very few aspects though, otherwise both(930,1520) are a good buy

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Currently 930 is a good phone. If you are really willing to wait, wait for 925 successor, which won't be announced soon. It'll at least take some months. If 5" is ideal, & you can't wait, then go for 930

Thanks very much. I may just opt for the L930 - though the lack of Glance does bother me as I don't wear a watch!

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Okay I'll admit, I shouldn't have even *MENTIONED* iPhone or Android at all, but I thought it would be helpful to for him to consider any phones that have a 5.5 inch screen.

If the OP wants a Windows Phone and is okay with huge screens, stores a lot of media, takes a lot of photos, wants a smooth web experience, the Lumia 1520 is the best choice.

If you are okay with the lack of an SD card and want a more pocketable device with the same speed as the 1520, go for the 930.

Lumia 1320 shouldn't be in this equation, doesn't come close to the 930 or 1520.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Now that's a misconception people have about the 1320
It can be compared to a 1520 and a 930 ,sure the camera is worse than my 720 but its still wayy above Samsung's 8MP cameras etc and isn't bad at all
Its screen and ram etc are wayy better than most other phones and its rather fast in operation,sometimes even beating my 820 which is a bit surprising
This isn't android where different range phones cannot be compared
In windows phone,even a 520 user gets his support and updates etc and no lag

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077