Hi

I buy my lumia 1520 2 month ago

it was fine until i take the phone out of my pocket and drop it by accident... it drop from around 3 feet in a street... it din't feel like it fall that hard but the screen crack in the corner and now i have dead pixel that have appeared...

it's supposed to be gorilla glass 2 but obviously, it's not hard enough for a 6 inch screen... gorilla glass 2 is not what they advertise, your screen will get scratches if you're not using a screen protector and the screen crack when drop the phone.... is gorilla glass 3 is better, i have my doubt...

if you buy the phone, it is not that easy to use with one hand, it is almost certain you will drop it and it's almost sure the screen will crack...

the screen of the lumia 1520 is verry cheap, do not buy !!!!! it will cost me over 200$ to fix it, very sad to have chosen this phone thinking its a hi hand devise...
    09-26-2014 11:34 PM
    Sorry that happened to you but I had the same thing happen to mine and it didn't break.

How about instead of telling people not to get the phone maybe you should tell them not to drop ANY phone.
    09-26-2014 11:43 PM
    I broke the gorilla glass on the 928 I use to have because I used it without a case and dropped the phone. Similar situation as yours. I don't believe it was corning's fault or defect because it would not have happened if I did not drop it. Now for my Lumia icon I use an otterbox defender and use the bare screen since I took the built in one on the case out and haven't had a problem.
    09-26-2014 11:45 PM
    Sorry to hear, but it has a great screen - no doubt about it ... I have used it over 9 months without any cover or screen protector and keeping it always in my jeans' front pocket ....
    09-26-2014 11:46 PM
    I don't understand why people believe every fall can be survived by a phone. Is it NOT clear that if you drop your phone damage may occur? Really? A 3 inch fall can crack a screen. Depends greatly on how it lands and what it lands on.

Minimize risk by putting your phone in a case and using a screen saver. Tempered Glass screen savers are made to shatter instead of your phone's screen. A Tempered Glass screen saver probably would have prevented the damage you describe and there are more than a few available for 1520.

if you buy the phone, it is not that easy to use with one hand, it is almost certain you will drop it and it's almost sure the screen will crack...
    So you thought you would treat it like a 4.5" screen and it got away from you? Definitely the phone's fault. I'd write Ralph Nader and get him on the case for recalling the 1520.
    colinkiama likes this.
    09-27-2014 07:21 AM
    Sorry that happened to you. Have been using lumia 1520 for 5 months now. Fell couple of times but no scratch or crack.. As good as new.
    09-27-2014 07:28 AM
    This isn't a 1520 problem. Any phone can break if dropped, its the luck of the draw. Some phones might be more likely to be damaged but if you drop a phone, any phone, it can be severely damaged.

I wonder if there would be a market for shoulder holsters for phones where the phone is also tethered to the holster. Drop it all you want and it just swings back and forth at thigh level or above.

Or tie enough helium balloons to the phone and keep it where you normally do. If you drop it it falls slowly enough to avoid damage. Wouldn't the world be a cheerier place if everyone had balloons around them?
    Ed Boland, RumoredNow and Reflexx like this.
    09-27-2014 07:50 AM
    Remember how things always used to come with an optional wrist strap?
    09-27-2014 07:56 AM
    Naaah, its the same with all devices... Gorilla Glass not crack proof, or even scratch proof!
    09-27-2014 08:01 AM
    every phone or smartphone will break.
    09-27-2014 10:16 AM
    To the OP......

I blame the user of the phone, not the phone!!!!!!!

I have had 3 Windows Phones over the past few years Nokia Lumia 1020, HTC Radar, HTC HD2.......all of them looked out of the box new by the end.

I haven't dropped a phone since my Audiovox SMT 5600 on the sidewalk of a GO Train Station. it hit and bounced and damaged 2 corners of the phone, but did not crack glass, and that was not Gorilla Glass. I should also say the drop was due to being bumped by another person. However it was still my fault, not the fault of the Plastic Body.

You had a boo boo and now wish to off load the guilt. It also sounds as if you skipped insurance so now you will have to pay.

Tip: Buy your phones outright like me.....you will find if you lay out $500-$700 with no insurance you will treat the phone like it's made of gold.

Unlike people I know who always have good phones, but trade in at $0 time and replace 2 or 3 screens in it's life time.
    Scienceguy Labs likes this.
    09-27-2014 10:49 AM
    It's simple physics. When the OP said it didn't seem to fall too hard, I just shook my head. Things don't fall soft or hard...they just fall. Actually, it's a mutual attraction of masses, but that's for another discussion.
    Glass (Gorilla or other) + Gravity + Ground has a high potential to cause problems with a phone of any kind.
    09-27-2014 11:05 AM
    You can drop a piece of glass several feet and it might not break, but drop it from a couple of inches onto a tiny bit of hard grit and it could break, it only needs a tiny scratch and bang the strength of the glass goes and a crack appears, that's how they cut glass.

You cannot blame the 1520, or the glass on the 1520, you could curse your luck, but it's stupid to blame the phone, the phone wasn't the clumsy one here.

To keep phones safe from breaking when you drop them, don't drop them.

Bob
    09-27-2014 11:33 AM
    Put a case on it - helps with grip & isolates the screen from fracturing contact, to an extent.
    09-27-2014 11:43 AM
    Gotta love these posts where the OP states something outrageous and then disappears not to even defend themselves.
    Scienceguy Labs and sectime like this.
    09-27-2014 12:05 PM
    Buy a flip phone, problem solved. If this is your first smartphone then I understand the frustration, but calling screen cheap is silly. If it is then every smartphone is cheap. Drop proof phone options exist.
    09-27-2014 01:14 PM
    Hi

it was fine until i take the phone out of my pocket and drop it by accident... it drop from around 3 feet in a street... it din't feel like it fall that hard but the screen crack in the corner and now i have dead pixel that have appeared...

it's supposed to be gorilla glass 2 but obviously, it's not hard enough for a 6 inch screen... gorilla glass 2 is not what they advertise, your screen will get scratches if you're not using a screen protector and the screen crack when drop the phone.... is gorilla glass 3 is better, i have my doubt...

the screen of the lumia 1520 is verry cheap, do not buy !!!!! it will cost me over 200$ to fix it, very sad to have chosen this phone thinking its a hi hand devise...
    the bigger they are, the harder they fall(except with iPhones they are all made to break easy lol) that's like dropping a tv that you are carrying by hand and expecting nothing to happen. Don't blame the screen, blame yourself for not being care with a big device.
    09-27-2014 01:26 PM
    Hi

the screen isn't cheap if it costs you $200 to fix
    09-27-2014 01:28 PM
    Everyone had their share of fun? OP - we don't like FUDs at WPCentral, strange right? I know!
    09-27-2014 01:55 PM