What the flip is this?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
And as I stated before, the real advantages of the 1520 are ignored while specs are bandied about as the only real measure. Why would I give up recording in Dolby digital for a minor bump in performance that in reality makes no difference? Or wireless charging? Or easy expandable storage? Just to open an app a few milliseconds faster?

The iPhone's audio recording capabilities leave quite a lot to be desired, I can agree with that because I've watched dozens of videos taken with an iPhone 5S and 6.

But the Dolby sound or the 4 distortion mics that Nokia keeps throwing around everywhere isn't amazing either, especially in windy situations it's hard to capture your own voice.

And I know that a 1520 will have advantages over an iPhone, but as a whole if you weigh the pros and cons you'll find the iPhone is superior, but the writer or the article has conveyed this message quite poorly.

people downplay app speed a lot. you start to notice those milliseconds when you're playing with your phone for a few hours a day (which may not apply to you).

take the iphone's screen latency for example. sure, just a few ms quicker, but it's damn noticeable after using it for a bit compared to android or wp devices.

speaking of screens, the iphone's appears much closer to the glass, which looks a lot cooler in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure that as far as screen latency goes the HTC One M8 topped that, but no one seems to mention it. If screen latency mattered a lot, the M8 for Windows will be the best bet.

But the rest of it, I would agree with. I've watched several speed tests between Windows Phone, Android and iOS and from my observation Android and iOS are truly a few seconds apart(iOS still wins) but Windows Phone is quite a bit behind in both app launch and multitasking capabilities.

And looking "cool" is truly subjective.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm still going with the fact, iphone is still 1 year behind in alot of areas. In all good things pc based its all very well saying faster processor wins but if you don't have the ram... What's faster Pentium 133 8mb ram or a Pentium 100 with 16mb.

Well what's the point. The benchmarks on processors efficiency is tough to truly benchmark! what I mean by this is how much code is universal and how is it written to the app. You may find hardware level based code will give you alot different results to someone running app and testing.

Fortunate for me I'm not a wall hugger like most iphone users, I can run 5 days off the wall! (1520)

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why would I give up recording in Dolby digital for a minor bump in performance that in reality makes no difference? Or wireless charging? Or easy expandable storage?

*YOU* wouldn't. You, however, are obviously and in every way one of the minority.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
*YOU* wouldn't. You, however, are obviously and in every way one of the minority.

I don't think he is the minority here, he is merely stating iphone cant do the basics of the modern day top end phones, iphone 6plus will never get 4k it doesn't have the hardware (4k needs 8.3mp). He is saying also wireless charging is pretty damn sweet, I love having wireless charging it helps with not breaking wires or your port if you catch it!

The isheep will just always try to say there the best, just saying.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think he is the minority here

He may not be the minority HERE, on WPC, but Windows Phone users are, without doubt, the minority when it comes to smartphone shares.

"isheep" is a term that should be reserved for use only by those without the intelligence to say something worthwhile. Are you one of those people?

That aside, do Windows Phone fans not always try to say Windows Phone is the best? Do Android fans not always try to say Android is the best? Of course they do, or they wouldn't be fans. But my point to theefman was that if Dolby or wireless charging or easily expandable storage were what iPhone users wanted, they'd probably not get iPhones and get phones that had those features. Since they're not, well, that's saying something.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
But my point to theefman was that if Dolby or wireless charging or easily expandable storage were what iPhone users wanted, they'd probably not get iPhones and get phones that had those features. Since they're not, well, that's saying something.

Actually, it says nothing. Just because iphone users don't want a feature doesn't make it any less desirable, because we all know until apple "invents" a feature its deemed useless in their eyes. And their opinion isn't more valid just because there are a lot of them, it speaks more to their lack of tech savvy that things like recording audio in mono in 2014 is acceptable.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just because iphone users don't want a feature doesn't make it any less desirable

Yeah, heh, it does. By the very definition of the words. I mean... if a large group of users doesn't want a feature, by definition that means it's less desirable.

because we all know until apple "invents" a feature its deemed useless in their eyes. And their opinion isn't more valid just because there are a lot of them, it speaks more to their lack of tech savvy that things like recording audio in mono in 2014 is acceptable.

That might have been true at one time, but holding that opinion of such a large group of users - now - says more about you than anyone else. Apple users have grown more tech-savvy and knowledgeable in recent years, because Apple is making products which lend themselves to being used by - and are being used by - more tech-savvy people.

I can tell you this: I have been an Apple user. I am now an iPhone user (I use Microsoft on everything else - server, desktop, and tablet). By profession I am a server administrator, a database administrator, and web developer. I find mono audio recording at any time acceptable, because I don't have a need for stereo audio recording. It's just not something I care about. And there's nothing wrong with that; it doesn't mean that I am any less tech savvy than someone who wants and needs stereo audio recording, it's just a case of different wants and needs based on intended purpose.

The same goes for wireless charging. It's a neat technology and I think it's cool Nokia built it in to so many of their phones, but it has zero impact on me. I didn't use it when I had a Lumia 920, and as long as I work on computers at home and at work, and my car has a USB port in which I can plug charging cables, I'll never use it. Again, that's not a statement on my tech savvy-ness, but one of my individual needs and usage patterns.

It's really about time we got over the stereotypes associated with user groups. They just don't hold up anymore.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm still going with the fact, iphone is still 1 year behind in alot of areas. In all good things pc based its all very well saying faster processor wins but if you don't have the ram... What's faster Pentium 133 8mb ram or a Pentium 100 with 16mb.

Well what's the point. The benchmarks on processors efficiency is tough to truly benchmark! what I mean by this is how much code is universal and how is it written to the app. You may find hardware level based code will give you alot different results to someone running app and testing.

Fortunate for me I'm not a wall hugger like most iphone users, I can run 5 days off the wall! (1520)

The thing is that there is no perfect phone out there, you may consider an iPhone one year behind in the aspects that matter to you however for others they may consider Windows Phone behind.

Case in point, the lockscreen notifications on iOS are miles ahead of Windows Phone, the power toggles offer way more functionality, the way notifications don't take over the screen and can be interacted with is also awesome. Then when you move onto things such as apps and gaming, you'll also find another sore point for Windows Phone.

As far as benchmarks go, I find the WPCentral community pretty surprising, to say the least. There was just "one" benchmark that said that the 1520 had a faster GPU than any iPhone, and once it was proved false everyone found excuses for it.

Maybe I can't find a direct comparison between iOS and Windows Phone speed, but I'll link you to something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkokodBl9jQ

The above is a speed test between the 1520 and the HTC One M8, the M8 won in most if not all apps.

http://youtu.be/nCln9_mgZJo

The above is a speed test between the M8 and iPhone, the iPhone won by say 10 seconds or so.

(the relevance of the above post was just to show how each respective OS compared, since I was unable to find a direct iOS vs WP speed test)

Basically the iPhone, on specs, benchmarks and real time beats most hardware out there.

As far as battery life goes, the 1520 is a beast in that department I am willing to admit that but it has a bigger body to handle that bigger battery, most bigger phones generally have better battery lives(because of the bigger batteries used).

But the wall hugger thing is old now, the iPhones have pretty good battery life.

I don't think he is the minority here, he is merely stating iphone cant do the basics of the modern day top end phones, iphone 6plus will never get 4k it doesn't have the hardware (4k needs 8.3mp). He is saying also wireless charging is pretty damn sweet, I love having wireless charging it helps with not breaking wires or your port if you catch it!

The thing is that, what many of the people here at WPCentral describe as "basic functionality" for top end devices, just came to you guys in 2014, such as 4K or even the notification center! Android has had these features in some of the top end devices for over an year now, and if an year ago someone would've made fun of WP for not having these features many of you would've defended it, so don't label others as "iSheep" because everyone supports their OS of choice.

Moving onwards there are some things, arguably more useful than 4K that the iPhone does, for example 1080p 60 FPS or 720p slow-mo at 240 FPS. Like I said before, it depends on what you describe as "basic" functionality.

In addition to this, I'm not an iSheep. But I like to give the iPhone credit for what it does well.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
The last guys post couldn't prove the point of benchmarking processors not o/s which is irrelevant.

With regards to android having features before wp I agree there such an open o/s there are more capable of having latest features before wp and apple.

The trouble is apple have always used someone else's tech and innovated it. If windows mobile pushed marketplace for all apps in 6.0 days iphone wouldn't of kicked off, they decided any apps could install in cab files. Meaning companies can use ce devices to sideline install their company apps.

Another example is nfc in apple, for apple pay, well done in windows and firstly with android.

Windows has taken notification centre, which is nice, I prefer the live tiles, it provides adequate information. However a use I personally found Is say what's app not on my start screen, but notification centre picks up a message.

Regarding your hardware talks around wireless charging, there are numerous iphone users would like this feature and more like sd cards.

Although windows apps are lacking around 400k now compared to ios, actually have you considered what's a decent app to call an app. There are more games I agree, however there are alot of duplicate apps.
The huge problem with wp is the lack of developers creating apps in a multi o/s environment. Tinder for example is ios/droid however they will not make a windows app, 3rd party's like Rudy will provide us with apps that actually beat the original alot of the time!