10-15-2014 08:56 AM
29 12
tools
    Nokia Lumia 1520 VS iPhone 6 Plus: Comparison of Price & Design | Argyll Free Press

Am I the only one who just thinks this is completely inaccurate and biased to iSheep?
    10-01-2014 05:02 AM
    Well all the comments on the article completely agree with you.

The English in the post was not very good. Poor grammar and obvious iPhone bias.

There are three things the iPhone has on Nokia WP. Apps and a better panorama app and processing software.

There are some features that iPhone does well and some that are a bit questionable.
    sez who, ragingklu and xandros9 like this.
    10-01-2014 05:39 AM
    Ugh, this should be filed under "How not to write a review" - there's so very little objectivity in reviews these days. It's either by brand loyalists or larger organizations like CNET and PC Mag being bought off.
    10-01-2014 06:27 AM
    "Moreover, the phone incorporates a camera hump on the back side which would not allow user to keep it flatly on the desk."

Ohhhhh snap!
    Paul Stasik, sez who and ArthJar like this.
    10-01-2014 06:44 AM
    You got to think hardware wise, the Nokia camera is better, can do 4k video recording iphone is not able to at all. When you do a compare table between the two the iphone gets decimated bigtime, funny how a 1 year old phone beats it!
    10-06-2014 06:58 AM
    Please stop! You cannot compare the 1520(which should have been recalled for defective screen issues) with it's outdated hardware with the IPhone 6+.
    10-06-2014 07:31 AM
    Please stop! You cannot compare the 1520(which should have been recalled for defective screen issues) with it's outdated hardware with the IPhone 6+.
    Actually, your premise is based on a comparison.
    10-06-2014 07:43 AM
    Snapdragon 800>outdated hardware.

Check your facts.
    10-06-2014 07:45 AM
    Nokia Lumia 1520 VS iPhone 6 Plus: Comparison of Price & Design | Argyll Free Press

Am I the only one who just thinks this is completely inaccurate and biased to iSheep?
    The article is indeed subject to bias, but most experts would still agree that an iPhone 6 is better than the Lumia 1520. Just saying.

Snapdragon 800>outdated hardware.

Check your facts.
    The Snapdragon 800 used in the 1520 was outdated at launch, there was a slightly more powerful variant used in phones like the Nexus 5. Since then a Snapdragon 801 and 805 has been released, so yes it is outdated.
    10-06-2014 08:23 AM
    The article is indeed subject to bias, but most experts would still agree that an iPhone 6 is better than the Lumia 1520. Just saying.

Experts, right. Let me know when the almighty iphone can record sound in directional Dolby digital, videos in 4K (upcoming), wirelessly charge or expand its storage. All these features the 1520 has over the iphone will be ignored by your "experts" but every teeny iphone feature is claimed to be "revolutionary". Sorry, the iphone is way less advanced than the 1520, and not better in any way when viewed objectively.
    10-06-2014 08:39 AM
    Experts, right. Let me know when the almighty iphone can record sound in directional Dolby digital, videos in 4K (upcoming), wirelessly charge or expand its storage. All these features the 1520 has over the iphone will be ignored by your "experts" but every teeny iphone feature is claimed to be "revolutionary". Sorry, the iphone is way less advanced than the 1520, and not better in any way when viewed objectively.
    I'll admit that no phone is perfect and the 1520 will obviously have advantages over an iPhone.

But all in all, experts weigh the pros and cons of devices to come out with what devices are better.

The iPhone may not have 4K nor the same sound quality you would find on a 1520 but does the 1520 have 1080p 60 FPS recording or 720p 240 FPS slow-mo? And according to actual tests it has been shown that the iPhone beats the 1520 in camera quality, despite having a lower resolution camera. Oh and does 1520 have phase detection autofocus?

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Ca...-One-M8_id3805

In addition to this, last year's iPhone 5S beat the Lumia 1520's processor in benchmarks and real time, so obviously the iPhone 6 beats it as well.

http://m.windowscentral.com/benchmar...-iphone-5s-win

Plus another revolutionary thing about the iPhone is the SOC. On paper it seems like a simple 1.3 GHz processor but it performs like a beast, it doesn't throttle and Cyclone-enhanced (Apple's *custom architecture) is solid and about 3 years ahead of the competition.

All Qualcom SoCs throttle, because of the high clock speeds on big.LITTLE architecture. What is still dumbfounding is that even the most obsessive spec warriors can't discern what lower clock, smaller core number beating higher clock, larger core number means..

Also Apple has taken steps to ensure that games on iOS look even more stunning with the new Metal API, also a step ahead of Windows Phone.

I'm not an iSheep, but I'll give credit where credit it due and I would definitely prefer an iPhone 6 over a 1520, and most experts would too and they would have logical reasons for doing so.
    10-06-2014 09:03 AM
    Dont forget that the 1520 also has a camera hump that doesn't allow it to sit flatly on a desk.
    10-06-2014 07:41 PM
    Dont forget that the 1520 also has a camera hump that doesn't allow it to sit flatly on a desk.
    I think he said this toward the Lumia 1520, implying the iPhone 6 doesn't have one.
    10-07-2014 07:32 AM
    It's a reference to the original article that the op is referring to.

I dont know what is funnier. The articles blatant bias. Or the fact that no one even bothers to read it, and comment appropriately.
    10-07-2014 08:03 AM
    Yeah, but guys "The Apple offered only 1 GB RAM for iPhone 6 Plus."
    10-07-2014 08:19 AM
    I would go for the faster CPU and more RAM in the 1520 over the better GPU in the 6+ any day.
    Lol iPhone has a faster CPU as well, RAM is dependant on how well an OS handles multitasking, iPhone will perform better even with 1GB RAM than Lumia 1520.
    10-07-2014 11:42 AM
    A dual core 1.4 GHz is not faster than a quad core 2.2 GHz.

i don't think you understand how modern processors work
    a5cent and ragingklu like this.
    10-07-2014 12:44 PM
    A dual core 1.4 GHz is not faster than a quad core 2.2 GHz.
    Either you know very little, or none at all.

While on paper a 2.2 GHz should smoke a processor that's clocked at a lower frequency, that's not the case.

The Snapdragon 800 processors, and generally divide power between four or more weak cores which together may or may not beat an Apple A7 or A8 processor depending on the variant.

Unlucky for Nokia users the 1520/930/Icon used a slightly weaker 800 SOC, that couldn't even beat last year's Apple A7 clocked at 1.3 GHz.

http://m.windowscentral.com/benchmar...-iphone-5s-win

And this year's Apple A8 is obviously bound to beat the 1520 as well.

But apart from this, phones like the Nexus 5 that used a slightly higher clocked Snapdragon 800 did indeed beat the iPhone in benchmarks but couldn't beat in real time performance tests. And this is the case with all Snapdragon 800 SOCs.

Qualcomm claims that these processors can attain a maximum of 2.2 or more GHz on all four cores, but it can barely do this for a few minutes.

Whereas the Cyclone Enhanced architecture(20 nm process also included) that Apple has used in the extremely powerful Apple A8 chip can run at full 1.3 GHz for a very long time, without showing signs of thermal throttling. Thus it beats 1520 in benchmarks and real time tests.

Understand?
    10-07-2014 04:26 PM
    And as I stated before, the real advantages of the 1520 are ignored while specs are bandied about as the only real measure. Why would I give up recording in Dolby digital for a minor bump in performance that in reality makes no difference? Or wireless charging? Or easy expandable storage? Just to open an app a few milliseconds faster?
    ragingklu likes this.
    10-07-2014 04:55 PM
    And as I stated before, the real advantages of the 1520 are ignored while specs are bandied about as the only real measure. Why would I give up recording in Dolby digital for a minor bump in performance that in reality makes no difference? Or wireless charging? Or easy expandable storage? Just to open an app a few milliseconds faster?
    people downplay app speed a lot. you start to notice those milliseconds when you're playing with your phone for a few hours a day (which may not apply to you).

take the iphone's screen latency for example. sure, just a few ms quicker, but it's damn noticeable after using it for a bit compared to android or wp devices.

speaking of screens, the iphone's appears much closer to the glass, which looks a lot cooler in my opinion.
    10-07-2014 05:59 PM
    The iPhone's audio recording capabilities leave quite a lot to be desired, I can agree with that because I've watched dozens of videos taken with an iPhone 5S and 6.

But the Dolby sound or the 4 distortion mics that Nokia keeps throwing around everywhere isn't amazing either, especially in windy situations it's hard to capture your own voice.

And I know that a 1520 will have advantages over an iPhone, but as a whole if you weigh the pros and cons you'll find the iPhone is superior, but the writer or the article has conveyed this message quite poorly.

people downplay app speed a lot. you start to notice those milliseconds when you're playing with your phone for a few hours a day (which may not apply to you).

take the iphone's screen latency for example. sure, just a few ms quicker, but it's damn noticeable after using it for a bit compared to android or wp devices.

speaking of screens, the iphone's appears much closer to the glass, which looks a lot cooler in my opinion.
    I'm pretty sure that as far as screen latency goes the HTC One M8 topped that, but no one seems to mention it. If screen latency mattered a lot, the M8 for Windows will be the best bet.

But the rest of it, I would agree with. I've watched several speed tests between Windows Phone, Android and iOS and from my observation Android and iOS are truly a few seconds apart(iOS still wins) but Windows Phone is quite a bit behind in both app launch and multitasking capabilities.

And looking "cool" is truly subjective.
    10-07-2014 06:33 PM
    I'm still going with the fact, iphone is still 1 year behind in alot of areas. In all good things pc based its all very well saying faster processor wins but if you don't have the ram... What's faster Pentium 133 8mb ram or a Pentium 100 with 16mb.

Well what's the point. The benchmarks on processors efficiency is tough to truly benchmark! what I mean by this is how much code is universal and how is it written to the app. You may find hardware level based code will give you alot different results to someone running app and testing.

Fortunate for me I'm not a wall hugger like most iphone users, I can run 5 days off the wall! (1520)
    10-09-2014 12:55 AM
    Why would I give up recording in Dolby digital for a minor bump in performance that in reality makes no difference? Or wireless charging? Or easy expandable storage?
    *YOU* wouldn't. You, however, are obviously and in every way one of the minority.
    10-09-2014 01:54 AM
    *YOU* wouldn't. You, however, are obviously and in every way one of the minority.
    I don't think he is the minority here, he is merely stating iphone cant do the basics of the modern day top end phones, iphone 6plus will never get 4k it doesn't have the hardware (4k needs 8.3mp). He is saying also wireless charging is pretty damn sweet, I love having wireless charging it helps with not breaking wires or your port if you catch it!

The isheep will just always try to say there the best, just saying.
    10-11-2014 01:53 AM
    I don't think he is the minority here
    He may not be the minority HERE, on WPC, but Windows Phone users are, without doubt, the minority when it comes to smartphone shares.

The isheep will just always try to say there the best, just saying.
    "isheep" is a term that should be reserved for use only by those without the intelligence to say something worthwhile. Are you one of those people?

That aside, do Windows Phone fans not always try to say Windows Phone is the best? Do Android fans not always try to say Android is the best? Of course they do, or they wouldn't be fans. But my point to theefman was that if Dolby or wireless charging or easily expandable storage were what iPhone users wanted, they'd probably not get iPhones and get phones that had those features. Since they're not, well, that's saying something.
    salmanahmad likes this.
    10-11-2014 05:06 PM
29 12