Lumia 1520 freezing randomly

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
To get my own thread back on track it still appears to be happening. Today I had my home screen up, the capacitive buttons went dark and all touch became unresponsive. Then Cortana opened up. I don't think it was Cortana but the phone thinking I was pressing the search button.

Since disabling glance it's not doing it enough to be annoying. It just does it once every day or two vs. 10 times a day like it had been. I may try glance back on to see if it gets worse.

Take it to a Nokia repair centre.

sschevy010

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Heres the fix to your issues guys, I have slowly worked my way through to find out what was doing it... Disable background on Cortana in your battery saver settings. Issue resolved on my piece when i did that.

On other hand... Doesn't mean it could fix your issue as I looked into others.. It fixed mine..

Last edited:

madsedan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had this problem for several weeks, after 8.1 update I believe, and att replaced the phone and it continued and got more frequent, so they replaced it again, I'm now on my 3rd 1520.

After researching last night I have turned off ALL background running apps in the battery saver, unpinned Cortana from the start screen, and after a restart it still did it about the 2nd or 3rd time I woke the phone up within 30 minutes of a restart. If it continues today I will completely turn off glance screen and restart, but after that I'm not sure what the hell else to try.

This is a pretty serious issue in my opinion, they give us a phone and software to integrate all these notifications and accessories but in order to work properly we have to turn all of it off lol. The att repair center is 45 minutes from my house but if it happens again I will be driving down there and demanding it be fixed or put me into another device, this is ridiculous and I was an early adopter of wp8 with the 920, seems like I am going backwards now with the 1520, and its clearly software related.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It's software related. I don't think it has anything to do with the hardware. But it's easy enough to recover from the problem that it doesn't bother me too much.

I applied the update to the developer preview last night and so far it hasn't acted up.

I'm also surprised this doesn't seem to be a bigger issue being reported around here.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. The hardware on this phone is near perfect. I tried to nick pick, but seriously cannot find any fault.

It's software related. I don't think it has anything to do with the hardware. But it's easy enough to recover from the problem that it doesn't bother me too much.

I applied the update to the developer preview last night and so far it hasn't acted up.

I'm also surprised this doesn't seem to be a bigger issue being reported around here.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I know when I had double tap to wake on on my 1520, the lock screen would sometimes jump up and down as if I was rapidly scrolling up and down. If I would slide it up myself, it would make phantom touches on the number pad. Once I switched that option off, I didn't have this problem anymore. I was able to duplicate the issue (by shear luck, don't know how to actually trigger it though). I've confirmed that for me, double tap was the issue in this situation.

I believe this problem here is software related. I don't know if that will work for other phones, but I just wanted to share my experience on this. Glance is still on, but this may be a combination of both glance and tap to wake being on at the same time.

Nighthawk83

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Sadly the update for the developer preview did not help. I installed the update 20 minutes ago, restarted my 1520 once but the issue occurred twice within the last 15 minutes.

Nighthawk83

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
So far, neither deactivating glance screen and/or double tap to wake have worked for me. However, additionally activating the display's high touch sensitivity option under settings > touch seems to have worked for me. At least the issue did not appear within the last 24h despite heavy usage.

DAIMONDY

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
These lockups happened to me too. The glance, double tap and high sense options...turn them off, they just cause problems.

Tbh they are nothing to miss anyway.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I know when I had double tap to wake on on my 1520, the lock screen would sometimes jump up and down as if I was rapidly scrolling up and down. If I would slide it up myself, it would make phantom touches on the number pad. Once I switched that option off, I didn't have this problem anymore. I was able to duplicate the issue (by shear luck, don't know how to actually trigger it though). I've confirmed that for me, double tap was the issue in this situation.

I believe this problem here is software related. I don't know if that will work for other phones, but I just wanted to share my experience on this. Glance is still on, but this may be a combination of both glance and tap to wake being on at the same time.

I'm trying double tap to wake being off now.

I actually like the glance screen so I hope it's not that. In earlier Nokia releases Glance did mess with the unlock screen making it difficult to unlock the phone.

jbestman

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
The 1520 is anything but perfect. The touch/scrolling sensitivity issue is a big one that has not been solved. Many of us have just accepted it as part of owning the device.
It is especially glaring when you have owned another WP device before getting a 1520. When you scroll you do so gingerly.

jbestman

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
My question to everybody experiencing this issue is, did you do a clean install or did you install from a previous back up?
I always do a clean install and have never had an issue with my 1520.3. If you are installing from back up try doing a clean install. Do not do an OTA. Use the Nokia tool to install a fresh OS build then layer from there.

Paul Hellman

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I was the person who originally posted this thread. Yesterday my phone was going crazy. Dropping calls, freezing on screens. Each time putting it to sleep and waking it up would fix it but it would happen again. I tried shutting off backgrounds on Cortana, turning off glance, and nothing has helped. I have sent feedback to Microsoft thru my phone, but have not heard back from them. Not that I expected to. Really hope they fix this problem soon.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My question to everybody experiencing this issue is, did you do a clean install or did you install from a previous back up?
I always do a clean install and have never had an issue with my 1520.3. If you are installing from back up try doing a clean install. Do not do an OTA. Use the Nokia tool to install a fresh OS build then layer from there.

I'm on the latest dev preview OTA.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The 1520 is anything but perfect. The touch/scrolling sensitivity issue is a big one that has not been solved. Many of us have just accepted it as part of owning the device.
It is especially glaring when you have owned another WP device before getting a 1520. When you scroll you do so gingerly.

I luckily have never experienced that issue but I think it was liked to something like too much pressure or bending while in a pocket.

lapirk

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Holy crap I feel like an ***** to not have gone through the forums. I had screen going crazy and touch not responding issues for the past few months on my almost year old 15 and was living with it and even contemplated getting rid of it. Thanks to you guys I turned off glance and double tap to wake and bam problem solved!! It's been 3 days and no issues even once. And battery life is better ten fold. So it's definitely glance after an update. And I'm glad to know I can keep her for some now time until the next 6incher from MS. Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss