Camera: 5mp only, 5mp + 16mp, or JPEG and DNG

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
So, I noticed that when I take a picture, the phone saves 2 copies of the picture. One copy is relatively normal in size (around 1.5mb) and the other is relatively huge (sometimes, 7mb). I understand that the big one is taken at the full resolution of the camera and the other is scaled down to 5mp.

My question is: Do you have your camera set to do both or just the low resolution for everyday shooting? Do you change that preference in different situations like vacations or concerts?

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Mainly set it as 5mp only as casual shooting
Set it to 5mp+16mp in case I want to have some macro or ability to zoom in
Set it to 5mp+16mp (DNG) in case I think that the shooting opportunity is high and that'd become a great shoot so I want to store it as much details and as many PP chance as possible.

I'd choose 5mp for vacation and 5mp+16mp for concert (so I can zoom in later if I sat so further away from the stage)

kais_4

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I kind of wish there was a 16mp jpeg only option.. I love having a higher res image but it's kind of annoying having the straggler 5mp around haha!

allysisa

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Just got mine recently 2nd and wondered where the two pictures go then as I've it on the 2nd option 5mp +16mp and I can only see one picture. ???? And if its meant to be a 20mp pure view why is it 16mp sorry I'm a bit dumb when I ask this x

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Just got mine recently 2nd and wondered where the two pictures go then as I've it on the 2nd option 5mp +16mp and I can only see one picture. ???? And if its meant to be a 20mp pure view why is it 16mp sorry I'm a bit dumb when I ask this x

Use the app Files to see them both or connect it to a PC and use internet explorer.

And for 20mp sensor and "only" a 16 mp picture check this http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...-taken-lumia-950-much-smaller-than-16-mb.html

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In Lumia Camera 5, I shoot 16:9 and choose the 5MP jpg + 16MP dng. I'm almost always using Rich Capture or Dynamic Flash (RC on + Flash on).

You can still open the dng files in Rawer and manipulate any one of the bracketed shots (usually the +/- 0ev) after the post shot finalized 5MP jpg. They are the full 16MP dng files.

If I want a full High_Res jpg I shoot those in an alternate App like ProShot or Camer360 Sight. You can have your cake and eat it too. :winktongue:

IMHO, the 5MP deal is pretty smart in that most of the ways you are going to share off the phone will reduce the size anyway and you have an idealized 5MP with the oversampling. Most use cases for a High_Res jpg are going to require export to PC...

heywhitmarsh

May 4, 2012
Visit site

The camera sensor is a true 20mp sensor.
Because the light hits the sensor as a circle, the corners of the sensor are not used.

Check out this http://cdn.pocketnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Nokia-808-PureView-sensor-explained.jpg as an example.

Basically you get 16mp in 16:9 and 19mp in 4:3 because a portion of the sensor is cropped in each.
16:9 is the full width of the sensor, and 4:3 is the full height of the sensor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos