Call Mic problem Nokia Lumia 1520

TLJack64

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I've got the same problem. The mic isn't working for crap (cortana, calls, etc.) It was after a rollback from w10preview

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
W10 broke my Cortana.. And now my mic....

It's not just the 1520s. The 830 has a thread too. Said there's a program to try running to see if its hardware or software. I'm gonna go find it and give it a shot

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Big Papa Smurf: It's hard to see how it can be hardware when just switching between loudspeaking and normal mode on a phone call makes the mic work or not.

Having said that, there's absolutely no harm in trying - perhaps you could let us know?

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I was wrong.

I've experimented and found out that the 1520 has two microphones: one at the base for normal phone calls and one at the top which is used during loudspeaking calls. (In fact I think this might be the earpiece, dual-purposed as a microphone.)

This means that my insistence that this must be a software fault - because the same microphone is used for both types of call - is without foundation; the symptoms are most likely due to a simple hardware failure of the microphone in the base of the phone. I will now be taking my phone to bits to repair it.

I apologise to anyone who may have been misled by my earlier posts.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue with both my 920 & 930, I guess it something that has to do with how I use my mobile.
last time went to nokia care, they told me its windows 10m (but of course its not), they forced me to roll back, the issue remains.
i requested a mic change, and now it works fine on windows 10m.

The only reasoning that i reached to why such issue might have happen is that i sometime place my phone exactly on top of my laptops speakers (and the magnets on that thing are powerful)... donno if that even makes any sense, but i stopped doing it.

Last edited:

NastySasquatch

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Mine's doing this exact same thing as well. Some days it works just fine. I never know when it's going to work, but Cortana is a sure way to test if I can make a phone call or not.

I guess I better take it in to get fixed before I upgrade to W10.

indicia

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Had the exact same mic issue on my 1520 and after all the testing and software downgrading and reloading, it was still not working only for phone call. It took it to a local repair center and got the microphone changed for a $65 price tag. For me it was a hardware issue... Phone works like a charm since then...

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Had the exact same mic issue on my 1520 and after all the testing and software downgrading and reloading, it was still not working only for phone call. It took it to a local repair center and got the microphone changed for a $65 price tag. For me it was a hardware issue... Phone works like a charm since then...

This is what I'm going to have to try.

Kha Bui

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
This is what I'm going to have to try.

I got this problem fixed a few days later. I dropped my phone and the screen was broken. I tried to check for replacement price but it was around $200. Then I look up on craightlist and found a dead lumia 1520 with a working screen for $100. I bought it and replaced the screen. Also, I replace the mic from the dead phone's part.
It's very easy to disassemble lumia 1520. I think you can try and do it yourself. I can find the part like $15 on ebay. Here is the link
Nokia Lumia 1520 Charging Charger Dock Port Micro USB Connector Mic Flex Cable | eBay

indicia

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
This is exactly the part that was changed on my phone for $65 (parts and labor). I am not hardware literate so I decided not to open my phone myself. The fix is worth it.

Ray M20

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I have just started to notice this problem with the main mic myself. People can not hear me on phone calls and nor can Cortana. Having spent the afternoon looking at various threads on this topic it appears to be a widespread problem.

There are 3 separate microphones on the 1520. The main mic (the one used for talking whilst on the phone) is at the bottom phone on the front. The 2nd is at the top of the phone at the front, its combined into the same speaker slot that is used for listening whilst on the phone. The 3rd is again at the top of the phone but in the rear cover (a series of 5 holes). This is used for video recording.

If I use headphones during a call I can talk and hear OK and the person at the other end can hear me plainly. If I do not use headphones they can not hear me but I can hear them. Sam goes for Cortana. So I thought that it was hardware - the main mic is faulty.

BUT.

If I cover the other two mic's (at the top of the phone front and rear - making them redundant) and make a voice note in messenger it records perfectly. Even if I whisper closely to the mic. So this must be recording through the main mic.

There is also an app called Hardware Tests by Amaze Pictures Inc in the store. I downloaded that today because it has a mic test feature. Again I covered the 2nd and 3rd mics. The test results from this app confirmed that the main mic works perfectly.

Now unless the entire phone is acting as a very sensitive sound box, allowing the 2nd and 3rd microphones to operate normally even though they are completely covered, then these two tests (with the app and with the voice note) prove that my main mic is not broken after all.

I used some small strips of that foam double sided sticky tape to cover the two top mics during the tests. My thumb and forefinger also covered these areas and helped to ensure the tape was firmly in place. They also added to the sound insulation.

I have the latest updates installed and have never used w10.

I do not use the phone that often (get more use out of it as a tablet) so I do not know exactly when this problem started but I first noticed it on Friday 9th October. I have noted that there was an update to my phone on 27/08/2015 (1 package). It was recorded as version 8.10.15154.166. I have no idea what it did or if it could be the source of my problem. I have not downloaded any new apps for several weeks. Those that were downloaded were music players.

So where do I go from here? No idea. I suppose that I could fully restore my phone to its factory settings but at this point in time I am reluctant to do that. As I say, its mainly used as a tablet than a phone. But for now I do not see how this can be a hardware problem.

It would be useful to hear from others - if they could repeat the tests that I have done and post their results here.

By the way, how do you activate the speaker phone capability? I cant find anything in settings for it.

Viper5112

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
So I had this problem, along with the back button not lighting up. I sent it off twice to be repaired, seemed to be fixed the first time, they claimed they swapped the screen, I didn't believe them. Second time it went they said they couldn't find and issue...I got tired of explaining the mic only does not work during calls....

So, after two months of it sitting around and me missing my windows phone terribly, switched to a Galaxy S6, hated it...I decided to try fix it myself.

So the issue was the ribbon cable as per this picture: "://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/KhgpPO11HosRGh5g.huge" (sorry I can't post links yet, please put HTTPS in front of the previous text...)

I found if I placed a TINY amount of pressure on the ribbon, the light would come on...couldn't test the call feature at this point....I lifted the holding bracket, put a tiny piece of paper folded twice under the bracket, screwed it back down, the extra pressure pushed the ribbon cable down and the light stayed on.

I closed it all back up, tested a phone call and BOOM!!! Working microphone during calls.....

God I missed that phone!!!! Hope this helps someone else.

Ray M20

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I would have said that my mic is a hardware problem if it wasn't for the fact that it works when recording my voice when both of the other two mics are completely covered.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
If I cover the other two mic's (at the top of the phone front and rear - making them redundant) and make a voice note in messenger it records perfectly. Even if I whisper closely to the mic. So this must be recording through the main mic.

There is also an app called Hardware Tests by Amaze Pictures Inc in the store. I downloaded that today because it has a mic test feature. Again I covered the 2nd and 3rd mics. The test results from this app confirmed that the main mic works perfectly

This is where I think you might be mistaken. The ONLY time the bottom microphone gets used is for phone calls. ALL other uses, including voice memos, use the mic at the top. Despite searching for ages, I cannot find any utility that will test the mic at the bottom - they all monitor the top one. I am convinced that the problem is with the bottom mic on your phone. To be specific, the fault will be the ribbon cable that feeds the bottom assembly, which contains the mic, the three LEDs and the charging port. It's a very easy job - the assembly comes complete with ribbon cable. The ribbon cable seems to fail very easily - usually where it does that sharp double bend round the bottom of the battery.

By the way, you are wrong about their being two microphones at the top. In fact there is only one, and it's a moving coil transducer. It acts as the "earpiece" (i.e. a very quiet loudspeaker) on phone calls, and as a microphone when your phone is recording anything (e.g. voice memos, videos), AND when your phone is in loudspeaking mode.

What we call the microphone at the bottom is again a moving coil transducer. It is used as a microphone only for phone calls. The rest of the time it acts as the main loudspeaker - it is what all the beeps and tones play through, plus your music, plus anything else that makes a noise.

Ray M20

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi Steve

Many thanks for your input. I note what you say "ALL other uses, including voice memos, use the mic at the top." but that confuses me further - because with the other 2 microphones completely covered (as explained) why does the voice memo record OK?

According to this: Nokia Lumia 1520 Operating Instruction and Manual Book Download - Owner's Manual & User's Guide - PDF eBook Download and this: http://download.support.nokia.com/n...df/100000336184/Nokia_Lumia_1520_UG_en_US.pdf there are in fact 4 mics. They are listed as #12, #4, #17 and #22, in the diagram of the phone.

That has made me think that #22 was recording my voice memo (as it was not covered) so I will try again with only # 12 uncovered and let you know.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

Ray, that is extraordinary! I've never seen this document before, and I'm amazed by it. I'm amazed because I spent many years as an electronics engineer and I'm very familiar with what the various microphones, etc, look like. I've had my 1520 stripped right down maybe four or five times now, and I can state with confidence that there are only two transducers - one at the top and one at the bottom.

Both are dual-purpose - they can both make sound and act as microphones. For what it's worth, when I was experimenting covering them up, I found it almost impossible to stop them picking up sound. As a result I reverted to an old trick - blowing. If you blow very gently (as silently as you can) at a microphone it will pick up plenty of "white noise", where the air stream interacts with the mic diaphragm directly. Nearby microphones, though, don't pick up anything because the air stream is not directed at them. I think if you repeat your experiments with gentle blows rather than quiet sounds, you will get more useful results.

I confess I cannot understand why that document talks about four microphones. However, it reads very much like it has been written by non-technical people, and in a very "young" tone. I suspect this came out of the marketing department rather than the technical department, to be honest.

Perhaps I might appeal to your common sense (instead of expecting you to just trust me). I think you will agree that there are many reasons not to fit four microphones in a phone. One is the pressure on space, another is the additional cost. There is simply no reason to have two microphones at the top and two at the bottom, when one at each end will work just the same (omnidirectional mics will pick up sound from both sides with ease). Furthermore, those mics are actually dual purpose and will work to generate sound, as well. Thus we have reduced it from four microphones (plus, presumably, two loudspeakers) to two dual-purpose transducers, one at each end. That is EXACTLY what any production engineer would do, and Nokia are pretty close to the king of production engineers.

Anyway, the ultimate test would be to take yours to bits and have a look! Referring to the video, you just get a glimpse of the lower transducer at 17m 18s; it stays in the black plastic piece that is taken off screen. At 9m 25s you can see the "earpiece" (the upper transducer) being removed.

Thanks, Ray, for pointing out that document. I had no idea it even existed.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Oh, I forgot to add one thing. Earlier I said that the only time the bottom transducer is used as a microphone is during a normal phone call. At all other times (video recording, voice memos, hands-free phone calls) the upper microphone is used.

Well, someone mentioned Cortana earlier, and I confess that for the life of me I cannot remember which mic Cortana uses. I would have expected the upper one, but honestly I can't remember for sure.

Ray M20

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi again Steve

Many thanks for your valuable input. Your knowledge of this phone is helping me a lot. Strange about the 'extra' mic's quoted in those links though. As you say, may be produced by someone who did not really understand the technical aspects of the phone. But given one is an 'official' guide - I think that its very poor of Nokia.

Anyway, tried my other test and got the same result. No surprise there given what you have said. I will try the soft gentle blow just out of curiosity at this stage but not expecting it to work.

I have a new piece for my phone on order from e-bay. Should be with me next week. Have never taken a phone apart before but consider it to be well within my capability. The only thing that I do not have is the blue frame (used in the video link provided Kha Bui above) to separate the phone body/screen. But looking on YouTube I see that others can do it quite easily on the 1520 without that frame. What do you use?

By the way, Cortana does not respond on my phone unless I use a headset. So I assume it must be the same (bottom) mic as used by the phone. I'll let you know how I get on later next week.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
The only thing that I do not have is the blue frame (used in the video link provided Kha Bui above) to separate the phone body/screen. But looking on YouTube I see that others can do it quite easily on the 1520 without that frame. What do you use?

I think that blue frame might only be available to Nokia service centres. I wish it were widely available - it looks very useful.

I use those things that look like thick guitar plectrums, although I must warn you about something which caught me out the first time I did it. If you look closely at the top edge of your phone (where you start the separation process), you will see the glass screen, then a rubber gasket, then the plastic case. The instructional videos do not make it clear whether to lever between the screen and the gasket, or the gasket and the case. I tried the former and broke the screen! :amaze:

So, be sure to lever between the gasket and the case; the gasket is fixed to the glass screen and stays attached to it.

Once you've had a good look inside you'll be able to decide for yourself how many microphones it's got. :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa