Call Mic problem Nokia Lumia 1520

Kha Bui

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
The video is too complicated. Just open the sim slot and microSD card slot. THen take the screw out. Use you a guitar pick to separate the frame and screen. do it slowly. I used to use my thumb nail to do that :)) It's quitely easy.
But you need a special screw-driver to take the only screw out.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
Any update for people who have the issue if it's not hardware? My 1520 mic started not working soon as I put W10 on it about 4-5 months ago (whatever the 2nd ever release was). I flashed back to 8.1 over the weekend and even after a hard reset it still doesn't work.

The insurance company said they don't have any 1520s but are going to send me a 640XL instead with free headphones and car charger.Not

Not sure if I want that though. Any idea how to fix the mic?

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Any update for people who have the issue if it's not hardware? My 1520 mic started not working soon as I put W10 on it about 4-5 months ago (whatever the 2nd ever release was). I flashed back to 8.1 over the weekend and even after a hard reset it still doesn't work.

Any idea how to fix the mic?

I'm certain this IS hardware, especially after reverting to W8 didn't fix it. I can only assume it was a coincidence. I, too, blamed W10 because that is when I noticed the problem. I even wrote some strong feedback to Microsoft on the feedback app and this forum, insisting there was a problem with W10. However, software updates cannot crack a ribbon cable, and that was the problem with mine. It seems to be a weak point in the 1520. I think if you fit the new USB module at the bottom of the phone it will cure it. It's a simple job.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
I'm certain this IS hardware, especially after reverting to W8 didn't fix it. I can only assume it was a coincidence. I, too, blamed W10 because that is when I noticed the problem. I even wrote some strong feedback to Microsoft on the feedback app and this forum, insisting there was a problem with W10. However, software updates cannot crack a ribbon cable, and that was the problem with mine. It seems to be a weak point in the 1520. I think if you fit the new USB module at the bottom of the phone it will cure it. It's a simple job.

Ok, I'll order that mic then from the eBay link in this thread. Sure seems like a big coincidence though lol, but if you did find a physical break in yours, truth is truth.

Thanks!

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I'll order that mic then from the eBay link in this thread. Sure seems like a big coincidence though lol, but if you did find a physical break in yours, truth is truth.

Yes, I speak the truth. However, why not check first? I found that when I took the back off I could make the mic work intermittently be moving the ribbon cable around. The new unit comes with a flat ribbon cable, but it gets bent fairly sharply twice when you fit it in the phone. I suspect the bend radius is too small for the type of cable.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I speak the truth. However, why not check first? I found that when I took the back off I could make the mic work intermittently be moving the ribbon cable around. The new unit comes with a flat ribbon cable, but it gets bent fairly sharply twice when you fit it in the phone. I suspect the bend radius is too small for the type of cable.

I was going to take it apart this weekend and check. I already ordered the part off eBay tho, it was cheap enough.

Hector Pons

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Specweapon replied on December 16, 2015

Accomplishments

In reply to FlappetteRides Again's post on November 9, 2015

I have found a solution to the hardware fault on my phone, my microphone was never working so clearly hardware fault. I had the same microphone issues and the LED lights below my screen wouldn't work. I found that when i twisted my phone I could get them and the microphone to work, so it seemed like a bad connection in the lower daughterboard, upon disassembly I found the fault was actually where the ribbon from that board connects to the mainboard. In the picture below marked by the red arrow, I found that applying pressure made the Led's and microphone work. My solution was to stick a small piece of 2mm thick adhesive foam onto the silver cover so it applies pressure from the back cover.

Phone is working perfectly now

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Specweapon replied on December 16, 2015

Accomplishments

In reply to FlappetteRides Again's post on November 9, 2015

I have found a solution to the hardware fault on my phone, my microphone was never working so clearly hardware fault. I had the same microphone issues and the LED lights below my screen wouldn't work. I found that when i twisted my phone I could get them and the microphone to work, so it seemed like a bad connection in the lower daughterboard, upon disassembly I found the fault was actually where the ribbon from that board connects to the mainboard. In the picture below marked by the red arrow, I found that applying pressure made the Led's and microphone work. My solution was to stick a small piece of 2mm thick adhesive foam onto the silver cover so it applies pressure from the back cover.

Phone is working perfectly now

I'll pull mime apart again. See if something came loose. If not ill just buy another. It's cheap enough to buy again.

Ray M20

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I tried replacing the mic hardware part but it did not solve the problem but I thing it was a faulty replacement (not new). So refitted my old part at it worked, for a few days and then stopped again. Could only make calls on loudspeaker. But I noticed the same as you. Pressure or twisting the phone a little would make the mic function OK. So I did the same as you with a small pad of 2mm foam - it is working fine now but only just done it so will wait a few weeks and post here again. Fingers crossed.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
That circuit board at the bottom - which has the call microphone on it - does seem to be very unreliable. As well as the microphone not working, another common problem is one of the LEDs not working.

Ray M20

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Seems that way. When I replaced this piece of hardware last year I lost the lights and microphone so thought it was faulty and refitted the original (which I still have in the phone). So maybe the replacement wasn't faulty after all - don't know. But so far its still working fine with the foam tape adding that little bit more pressure to the connection.

May 9, 2016
Visit site
Dear Sir:-

Thanks for the In reply to FlappetteRides Again's post on November 9, 2015.

I have the same problems on my Lumia 1520 recently. You stated that you found the fault shown in the picture below marked by the red arrow, which unfortunately is not there. May I ask to reattach and make it visible so that I can also be guided by your method?

Thanks a lot brother.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
I replaced my microphone board with a new one form eBay. After assembly the micrphone still did not work and the 2 left LEDs on the bottom didn't work. I then tried the method of putting something on the metal cover where it connects to the mother board; the 2 bottom left LEDs still do not work and still my microphone does not work.

Just my luck I guess :/

EDIT: I put my original mic board back in and now all the LEDs work but still no mic. Guess the 1520 is finally a brick.

Last edited:

Ray M20

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I tried replacing the mic hardware part but it did not solve the problem but I thing it was a faulty replacement (not new). So refitted my old part at it worked, for a few days and then stopped again. Could only make calls on loudspeaker. But I noticed the same as you. Pressure or twisting the phone a little would make the mic function OK. So I did the same as you with a small pad of 2mm foam - it is working fine now but only just done it so will wait a few weeks and post here again. Fingers crossed.

Update - one year on and everything is still working fine. So for me using the foam to place more pressure on the mic connection did the trick.

verinder

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I finally found the problem.I had similar problem, when on phone without speakerphone people can't hear me but when on speakerphone it was working. Mic test worked just fine. Here is the issue:
even after replacing ribbon cable you have to make sure it sticks on top of battery pack properly. See three brush like pads on phone just below where ribbon goes and ribbon has metallic connector. You need to connect both of them properly otherwise mic won't work and phone call quality would be bad too.

Anthony199

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Its actually not a software problem!!!
I has the same problem on my 1520, and the back arrow was off but working. The mug only works on speakerphone when making a call. Anyway, there is a video online that talks about this problem.
The problem if that the mic ribbon if not making fik contacts with the board, so actually if u press on the back of your phone exactly where the mic cable sits, you will get it to work again and your nav buttons will light up again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss