Call Mic problem Nokia Lumia 1520

Kha Bui

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I just got the weird problem with my Lumia 1520. Just this morning I got the phone work well. But after I plug-in my headphone and take it out, and try call my mom. It didn't work, except for the speaker. Mic work fine when I tried it with Cortana or voice message.
I tried to plug-in the headphone and make the phone call, the MIC works, but take headphone out, it doesn't work.
:((

earle36

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a similar if not the same problem. Recently I've had issues with others being able to hear me when I make calls or receive them using the mic on the phone. When I use Bluetooth from my car or wired headphones with a mic others can hear me just fine. I do use the phone with headphones (no mic) at the gym daily - wonder if that's contributing to this problem. Super bummed - phone used to work just fine...

Kha Bui

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
What I found that when I plug in the headphone(no mic), it works. All other mics are working fine, no problem with them. Now I am still testing on my phone to see whether this issue is still happening.
Last night, I tried plug-in and out the headphone, and my phone worked till now. :)

Qurt Mancini

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem with my 1520 now,used the headset I got with it (for the first time) and BAM now the microphone on the phone doesn't work for phone calls unless I put it on speakerphone and it works for Cortana and WhatsApp voice notes but not working for phone calls!! And right after I used the headset I noticed my control keys aren't lighting up anymore but they still work ���� anyone have any suggestions cuz I'm considering flashing it but I haven't seen anywhere if this'll fix the problem AND THE WORSE PART IS,I'M RUNNING ON DENIM!!

HzlNut

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
SOFTWARE PROBLEM. The Microphone stopped working on my Lumia 1520 after upgrading 8 months ago. Bluetooth and headset was fine. Was convinced it was software issue and it was! I just upgraded to Windows Phone 10 beta developer and it is back working again. So it's good news.

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
SOFTWARE PROBLEM. The Microphone stopped working on my Lumia 1520 after upgrading 8 months ago. Bluetooth and headset was fine. Was convinced it was software issue and it was! I just upgraded to Windows Phone 10 beta developer and it is back working again. So it's good news.

Hi your mic still working fine? My microphone stopped working after I downgraded to wp 8.1 from Windows 10 TP

Anyone else have a same problem and solution?

michileno514

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I am having the issue at the moment. It just happened last Friday. The reason why I know its the mic is because regular headphones work perfectly. I have denim update 2 on my phone. I am considering upgrading to windows 10 to fix the problem.

Bryon Burns

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
It seems the denim update caused this as most the forum posts I read of people having this issue have either had denim recently installed or hadn't had a headset with cyan do this and then installed denim and it happened. Could be a part of the OS update not agreeing with the denim firmware.

Brad Cochran

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I also had the problem of my Lumia 1520 mic not working after installing windows 10 TP and the downgrading back to 8.1.

It is strange because... the mic works.. as in I try a voice recording app and it works, I try voice search on google app and it works, microphone test from hardware tester app and it works, but anything Microsoft related such as Cortana it will not work. On phone calls it works on speaker phone but the instant I take it off speaker phone the person on the other end can not hear anything I say or do.

If anyone else has come across this with a fix please share!

Rohan Aswani

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. Now even the (loud)speaker seems to have stopped working !

Any solutions out there? Did anyone have this issue and now it is fixed? How was it fixed?

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Thank goodness!! I thought I was alone with this problem, assuming I'd somehow damaged the hardware. The fact that the microphone still worked with the voice recorder made me suspect otherwise.

Mine is a 1520 which I upgraded to W10M a couple of weeks ago. It worked fine until a few days ago, so I don't suspect it is directly related to the upgrade, although it's hard to be sure. I can confirm that mine works fine when using a Bluetooth headset.

This is definitely some subtle software fault, and it's odd because it seems to happen with both WP8.1 and W10M. This suggests it's a problem with the firmware, wouldn't you agree?

I hope it can be fixed; the phone is rendered pretty useless if I can't use it in the normal way.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Follow up: I've just done a complete reset and reverted my phone to WP8.1. The microphone problem remains! It works for Voice Recorder, but not for calls nor for Cortana.

As the saying goes, WTF??

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
yea probably win 10 broke it! LOL I would do ANOTHER factory reset and also try blowing some air in the plug port maybe just some sort of debris or something messing with the plug port...

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
yea probably win 10 broke it! LOL I would do ANOTHER factory reset and also try blowing some air in the plug port maybe just some sort of debris or something messing with the plug port...

But seriously, I don't know if it was W10M, but I doubt very much it's to do with the plug port. Lots of us are suffering the very same problem - what are the chances we've all got a bit of dirt in the port? Of course, try it and please let us know if it fixes it! :grin:

Anyway, the fact that it works with Voice Recorder seems to suggest pretty conclusively there is nothing wrong with the hardware.

I fear this may be a permanent problem - clearly several of us have half-working phones. Is there any way we can escalate this?? Microsoft cannot ignore it.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
uhhh ur the first person I hear with this problem, and I stalk here very frequently... direct me to these posts of "a lot of us" you speak of having the same problem as you... maybe I missed it?

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Just read up the thread! Kha Bui, earle36, Big Papa Smurf, Rohan Aswani, Brad Cochran, michileno514, mjyumping and HzlNut (though working again now).

Is that enough for you?

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
oh ok my bad it's in this thread.... with that said some posts are from a year ago... when win 10 was in its infancy, but to have these problems NOW is a different story... BTW maybe it will be coincidence maybe not, but I had this problem with win 10 on my SP3, the only way to fix this was to goto the mic settings and play with the mic gain to 70... but I don't think you can do that on the win phones...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12