1520 screen cracked - first day using it

jontyrees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
So frustrating. After two great years with the 920, I just got a 1520 as a claim replacement. There was nothing wrong with my 920 until ATT pushed 8.1 onto it, and it's been borderline unusable since - randomly calls people in the middle of the night, battery life is awful, camera doesn't work at all, won't pair properly with my car any more, etc, etc. So I got a claim replacement through phoneclaim.com - unbelievably easy process, and they sent me a 1520 as a replacement. I wouldn't have got myself a phone that big, but everyone seems to love them, so I figure I'll keep it. Love the screen, the snappy performance, I'm sure the camera is awesome, BUT - it's too damned fragile!!!. I was looking under a car, lying on the pavement and it slipped out of my front pocket - MAYBE 4"-5" to the ground. Cracked right across the screen, corner spiderwebbed. That's ridiculous. I dropped my 920 about 920 times, and it survived everything, no case, no screen protector. I have a couple of cases on order for the 1520, but they haven't arrived yet. Just sick that it broke after less than one full day of use. I guess I'll just use it with a cracked screen - maybe lay a screen protector on it to keep everything together.

I was this close to leaving WP after the bad experience with 8.1 on the 920, now this has soured me further on it. I think once this 1520 falls apart, I'm off to Android - which is a shame, since I've been WP for 4yrs now, and I like the interface. Oh, well......

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
That really bites the big one. But I completely understand your frustrations. Same thing happened to my brother with a BlackBerry Torch 2. He had a Torch 1 and dropped it countless times from heights up to 6 feet onto pavement (Tarmac to be exact). He dropped the Torch 2 from about 8" while inspecting a planes gear and the screen was no more.

I guess these things happen. Sorry bro.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Glass is a very fragile material even if strengthened, you can cut glass with the minimum amount of pressure if you know what to do, its all about fractures, one tiny bit of grit on a level surface will crack glass with ease.

Most of us 1520 users think the phone is one of the strongest on the market.

You were unlucky.

I can see why you are upset, but because you managed to break your screen isn't a reason to not like WP.

If your reason for leaving WP for android is either you hate WP or prefer android then fine, but to blame WP because of bad luck makes no sense to me.

Bob

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
To be honest if your going to buy a top of the range phone then common sense is to get a case. I have one for my 1520.... In fact... I ordered it before I ordered my phone... That way I will have a case straight away. Always gotta be careful. I feel your pain tho. Can you not say it arrived damaged and get another replacement 😉

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Phoneclaim #2? It happened to me.. I had a 920 (like you) for the longest time without a case. Then got a 1020... dropped it one day and completely shattered the screen. Made the insurance claim, and they sent me another 1020.. 3 weeks go by and I drop THAT one! Had to make a second claim.. But this time, they send me a 1520! So... I went and bought a case this time....

Jackie Earley

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Phoneclaim #2? It happened to me.. I had a 920 (like you) for the longest time without a case. Then got a 1020... dropped it one day and completely shattered the screen. Made the insurance claim, and they sent me another 1020.. 3 weeks go by and I drop THAT one! Had to make a second claim.. But this time, they send me a 1520! So... I went and bought a case this time....

I dropped my 1020 on a concrete floor right on the screen and it didn't shatter or even scratch. It fell off a bunk bed when I wasn't paying attention and we watched it smack the floor. Pretty much froze and looked at my battle buddy (army) and was shocked to find it wasn't damaged. Dropped my 1020 many times without the case with no issues. I know of have a 1520 with a minimal case.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I've dropped so many phones, and it's amazing how a small fall that hits the phone just right can shatter the entire screen, but another fall from10' can hardly leave a dent.

ragingklu

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I've dropped so many phones, and it's amazing how a small fall that hits the phone just right can shatter the entire screen, but another fall from10' can hardly leave a dent.

This.

A seemingly innocent drop (about 10") right onto the corner of the phone is what did in one of my Note 2 screens. It had endured many drops that were much more violent than that (and many of the other phones had endured much bigger drops without any issue, some had me wondering how the phone survived at all). It's all about exactly how it hits. With the pressure on to make spec sheets sparkle with dimensions listed and being compared to fractions of a millimeter these days (meaning phone screens grow, bezels shrink, thank spec sheet whores for that!!!!!), good luck finding many phones that aren't subject to this vulnerability. Even some of the seemingly too-thin cases can do a not-insignificant job of absorbing and redistributing enough of the energy... I won't own another phone without having a case on at all times for exactly this reason.

Marc_With_a_C

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I feel your pain. After dropping my 920 more than a dozen times with no case and the corner dents to prove it I dropped it the other day and crack went the screen. Only 4 weeks before my contract is up. Got a 1520 through insurance just like you. With the size of this thing I'm so worried about cracking it. Probably just get a case and sell it as soon as something good with QI comes out.

jonahtrav

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
That is a total bummer ...On day one it would drive me crazy... But can't really blame the phone for not being built well, it just seems like you got unlucky. I also have a 920 that has hit the ground a couple of times without any marks , but I know if I drop the phone just right the screen will break.

jonahtrav

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Sorry about the 1520 ...
With the 920 try using the NRT and put a new firmware on your phone... It solved all the problems I was having with my 920 after the update.

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I crashed my car while driving drunk and I got injured (wasn't wearing a seatbelt). Stupid Malibu. I bet if I were driving a Toyota, this wouldn't have happened.

See the parallel?

shinchan900

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I use black back cover & transparent screen guard. My phone fell like 4-5 times and it still don't have a single scratch. The phone build quality is awesome!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss