10-19-2014 05:43 PM
47 12
tools
    The xx20 series was of WP8 & the xx30 series is of WP8.1. Since there was no 1620 there won't be any 1630.
    ... And 15xx is the highest Lumia line, so there won't be any 16xx.
    10-17-2014 09:49 AM
    Does anyone know why Nokia doesn't bring out phone models with the no 4? But things have changed, Microsoft might bring out phones with xx40 names... It will make more sense.
    Many companies avoid "4" because it is bad luck in some countries. (i think synonymous with death? ah I should know this, but I don't)
    10-17-2014 09:50 AM
    It doesn't matter how much of a beast the next 6" flagship phone is. If news of it doesn't at least come out before Christmas AND if it is a carrier exclusive AND if there isn't a strong marketing campaign for it, then prepare to set sail for fail.
    10-17-2014 09:54 AM
    Many companies avoid "4" because it is bad luck in some countries. (i think synonymous with death? ah I should know this, but I don't)
    "synonymous with death"? Can you explain?
    10-17-2014 10:30 AM
    "synonymous with death"? Can you explain?
    I believe it has the same sound as the word meaning "death" or bad luck in another language IIRC
    10-17-2014 12:26 PM
    In Cantonese(yue), sei means four and die. (四&死)
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-17-2014 01:52 PM
    What I understand is catching up with iPhone is a fools mission. There isn't enough in the way of resources to match Apple for what it does.
    tgp likes this.
    10-17-2014 03:19 PM
    What I understand is catching up with iPhone is a fools mission. There isn't enough in the way of resources to match Apple for what it does.
    Not sure what's behind that comment, but isn't the iPhone 6 Plus just catching up with the L1520? The iPhone is still behind a bit on camera, wireless charging, RAM, CPU performance though. OS wise, sure WP is behind. But isn't Microsoft still a software company? They should be able to continue adding services and features and start to edge Apple there too.
    stnm likes this.
    10-17-2014 05:24 PM
    Not sure what's behind that comment, but isn't the iPhone 6 Plus just catching up with the L1520? The iPhone is still behind a bit on camera, wireless charging, RAM, CPU performance though. OS wise, sure WP is behind. But isn't Microsoft still a software company? They should be able to continue adding services and features and start to edge Apple there too.
    I think he means in sales and popularity. Either way, I disagree. Microsoft needs to get cracking and put out a load of killer, consistent ads. Hire someone who will do for Microsoft what Ted Kellinske did for Sega in the early nineties. Make Microsoft loud and proud.
    10-17-2014 05:44 PM
    Actually, no it isn't. Apple is in a world all onto itself. It makes decisions based on the will of its ecosystem and that is something neither android nor Microsoft enjoys at this point. When Apple decides its time to build a larger phone, they built it but what they also did was bring something called Apple Pay along with it. They did all kinds of deals with the banks, businesses and credit card companies and built iPhone 6. Android has google wallet and its a flat out fail. If their ecosystem was eager to get wireless charging trust me, it'll show up when Apple says its ready. They got keyboards and notification because Apple decided its ecosystem would benefit. Right now, wireless charging is a WP thing.

We seem to be doing because of android, not so much for Microsoft. Maybe its why things seem so disjointed. Where ever the noise is, Microsoft throws up something simply to say we could do it too. Android does what it does to beat Apple, something it won't ever do in your lifetime. It is largely why android models itself after the iPhone. It thinks people won't notice.

Microsoft has a great product and a great start of followers, which is commendable for the short time WP has been on the street. But what it doesn't yet have is a respectable ecosystem, someone to lead, or someone that can bring all of this together and DICTATE, this is the phone we are building, here is how and why. And build that phone with everything it knows how to do. But it doesn't. It makes a lot of model like its trying to a PC maker like HP or Dell more than a Phone developer. Its not what people are looking for. This is the crux of my comment. It is my reasoning why no matter what they throw at this problem, they won't catch Apple. They are simply not in the business to compete on that level. Its a fools mission to try.

This isn't hate on Microsoft. I hope no one takes it that way. I love this brand.
    Laura Knotek, techiez and mark233 like this.
    10-17-2014 09:29 PM
    I believe it has the same sound as the word meaning "death" or bad luck in another language IIRC

Tetraphobia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-18-2014 04:56 AM
    How about a 1030...
    10-18-2014 07:02 AM
    Why not they don't make a new phablet ?! It would perfect if they made some whole new software and features for the Lumia 1520 , update it to w10 with a ton of features for existing Lumia 1520, I guess this would be brilliant :D
    10-18-2014 08:54 AM
    Why not they don't make a new phablet ?! It would perfect if they made some whole new software and features for the Lumia 1520 , update it to w10 with a ton of features for existing Lumia 1520, I guess this would be brilliant :D
    What MS should do IMHO is build maybe 3 models. A Phablet, 6.1" a 5" like the Icon and a 4.5. and call it a day. Make the differences in the phones screen size and storage, not compromise on the stuff people want like wireless charging, removable simm, or stuck by exclusivity on a carrier like Verizon that offer the phone but simply won't stock it. And each phone should be loaded up from screen resolution to processor. Quit building budget models like the 520 and leave that to the OEM's. You got more important stuff to do.
    And quit this BS Lucky Charms game of Lumia Black, Denim, Cyan, Yellow Moons, Orange Stars, Green Clovers nonsense. Its not funny anymore. Get on with building the Surface Phone line. Like I said before, if MS wants to get in the game, then it has to get in the game and play it like they own it. We'll get behind it like never before.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    10-18-2014 09:57 AM
    I think, as Jazmac puts it, with Windows 10 the timing would be perfect for Microsoft to get a Surface phone out and show the OEMs how it's done. Make a killer flagship, launch is everywhere and on every major carrier and really throw some weight around. If it is serious about winning in the mobile space it can't sit in the backseat and hope the OEMs will do the job for them.

Microsoft did this to an extent in the tablet space but failed to gain much traction because they didn't launch the Surface everywhere and the marketing hasn't been up to scratch either. In the phone space especially, Microsoft's intent is very lacking because they obviously have to think about the OEMs because it is a software company first and foremost. But, the game has changed and Microsoft needs to get involved big time with their own flagship hardware.
    Jazmac likes this.
    10-18-2014 11:58 AM
    I think they should just focus heavily on the software and the ecosystem. Releasing a plethora of models is a fools game, as Samsung's profits illustrate. Also sort out the marketing, this making fun of Apple tactic isnt helping them.
    10-18-2014 02:22 PM
    Actually, no it isn't. Apple is in a world all onto itself. It makes decisions based on the will of its ecosystem and that is something neither android nor Microsoft enjoys at this point. When Apple decides its time to build a larger phone, they built it but what they also did was bring something called Apple Pay along with it. They did all kinds of deals with the banks, businesses and credit card companies and built iPhone 6. Android has google wallet and its a flat out fail. If their ecosystem was eager to get wireless charging trust me, it'll show up when Apple says its ready. They got keyboards and notification because Apple decided its ecosystem would benefit. Right now, wireless charging is a WP thing.

We seem to be doing because of android, not so much for Microsoft. Maybe its why things seem so disjointed. Where ever the noise is, Microsoft throws up something simply to say we could do it too. Android does what it does to beat Apple, something it won't ever do in your lifetime. It is largely why android models itself after the iPhone. It thinks people won't notice.

Microsoft has a great product and a great start of followers, which is commendable for the short time WP has been on the street. But what it doesn't yet have is a respectable ecosystem, someone to lead, or someone that can bring all of this together and DICTATE, this is the phone we are building, here is how and why. And build that phone with everything it knows how to do. But it doesn't. It makes a lot of model like its trying to a PC maker like HP or Dell more than a Phone developer. Its not what people are looking for. This is the crux of my comment. It is my reasoning why no matter what they throw at this problem, they won't catch Apple. They are simply not in the business to compete on that level. Its a fools mission to try.

This isn't hate on Microsoft. I hope no one takes it that way. I love this brand.
    10-18-2014 02:56 PM

That's not entirely true about apple. They didn't build a bigger phone just because THEY though it was Time. They heard all the criticism about how small their phone still were. I mean really ios7 was basically an android ripoff. If you think all these companies dont "borrow" from each other your not paying attention. Yes apple has their own closed eco system but to say they don't make any changes based on other platforms or criticism's is wrong. As far as android not beating apple,have you seen the latest market share results lately? Android is now #1 in market share so I'd say they did a pretty good job beating apple.
    10-18-2014 03:06 PM
    That's not entirely true about apple. They didn't build a bigger phone just because THEY though it was Time. They heard all the criticism about how small their phone still were. I mean really ios7 was basically an android ripoff. If you think all these companies dont "borrow" from each other your not paying attention. Yes apple has their own closed eco system but to say they don't make any changes based on other platforms or criticism's is wrong. As far as android not beating apple,have you seen the latest market share results lately? Android is now #1 in market share so I'd say they did a pretty good job beating apple.
    Checkers or Chess?
    10-18-2014 04:55 PM
    Checkers or Chess?
    neither.
    10-18-2014 09:36 PM
    What MS should do IMHO is build maybe 3 models. A Phablet, 6.1" a 5" like the Icon and a 4.5. and call it a day. Make the differences in the phones screen size and storage, not compromise on the stuff people want like wireless charging, removable simm, or stuck by exclusivity on a carrier like Verizon that offer the phone but simply won't stock it. And each phone should be loaded up from screen resolution to processor. Quit building budget models like the 520 and leave that to the OEM's. You got more important stuff to do.
    And quit this BS Lucky Charms game of Lumia Black, Denim, Cyan, Yellow Moons, Orange Stars, Green Clovers nonsense. Its not funny anymore. Get on with building the Surface Phone line. Like I said before, if MS wants to get in the game, then it has to get in the game and play it like they own it. We'll get behind it like never before.
    Leave phones line 520 to OEMs? what OEMs are you talking abt, None of the reputable OEMs are making WPs, I dont know the reputation of BLU in US but here in India XOLO, Karbonn and Micromaxx dont have good reputation and hardly will help WP. your strategy would hv worked if Nokia was independent but it is not, may be what you;ve said will help WP in US but will shrink marketshare outside US for sure
    10-19-2014 01:56 AM
    Leave phones line 520 to OEMs? what OEMs are you talking abt, None of the reputable OEMs are making WPs, I dont know the reputation of BLU in US but here in India XOLO, Karbonn and Micromaxx dont have good reputation and hardly will help WP. your strategy would hv worked if Nokia was independent but it is not, may be what you;ve said will help WP in US but will shrink marketshare outside US for sure
    I Thought I was pretty clear but let me be more direct. Stop building low end phones like the 520. Other OEMs should do that.
    10-19-2014 05:43 PM
47 12