1520 is still the best Windows Phone in the market

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The 930 really isn't better than the 1520 in any way.

Actually, the 930 is a weird one as it was supposed to be a flagship but due to the time it was released it's really just a mid-level device.

Still a great phone, similar to the 1520 in many ways but missing several features the 1520 sports, such as microSD slot, glance support to name a few.

Those are the only two features. It has everything else that 1520 sports. It has a manageable screen size. It's a phone. 1520 is a phablet. Whole new different category. So best Windows "Phone" is 930. Windows Phablet is 1520.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Those are the only two features. It has everything else that 1520 sports. It has a manageable screen size. It's a phone. 1520 is a phablet. Whole new different category. So best Windows "Phone" is 930. Windows Phablet is 1520.

A phablet is still a phone. And nope, the best WP should have at least a microSD card support. 😎

Last edited:

jontyrees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
It is, but....that's not saying much. I loved the 920, it worked great for me for 2yrs, then I downloaded 8.1 and it became useless - no camera, randomly called people, wouldn't pair with my car, <1 day battery life. I got the 1520 as a replacement under insurance, and was unsure about the size. Reviews were glowing so I accepted it, and it is a spectacular device - beautiful, great screen, fast, smooth, excellent camera - all is good, right? Unfortunately no, the size is wrong for me. Uncomfortable in jeans front pockets, and worse, I think the size contributes to it's fragility. I dropped it one time, from 4 inches, and the screen cracked. So many people have the same story - it's just not at all durable. I know one other person who has one - cracked screen first week. It's not a good daily driver phone for me. Too big and too fragile for a $600+ device. Now it constantly pulls up Bing Search, hops from one function to another, freezes. It's just a little crack in the corner, and one across the face, but it's screwing up the phone. I laid a piece of tempered glass across it to hold everything together for now.

But what are the alternatives? The 1020 looks like it'll work, but it's really no upgrade on the 920 - 400 series Snapdragon processer, etc. Camera is nice, but real world does it take better snaps at, say a concert at night, than a high end Android or iphone? Big drawback to 1020 is no Qi charging, (I'm on ATT).

I'm likely going to pick up a used 920 on ebay while I wait for a better WP to come along. I want the durability and Qi charging of the 920, the processor, battery life, micro SD slot, RAM and camera of the 1520, with a 5-5.3" screen.

l1520orAFK

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I really hope MS takes the learning experience from Nokia and not to build low quality phones like the 930 and 1520 - with sub par parts.. the touch screen glitch, and the over heating 930 .. lol

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
A 1520 with updated specs and aluminum + polycarbonate body like 830/ 930 is my dream 1530.

I actually like the simple design of the 1520 quite a bit, would not prefer to see the metal + poly combo, ala the 930. My wish list for the "1530" would be as follows:
  • just a little bit smaller (5.5- 5.8 range)
  • everyone, regardless of carrier or location, gets Qi
  • round the corners a bit to alter the appearance and make it a teeny bit less "boxy"
  • Make the camera lens protrude less so that it will lay flat and not wobble when used
  • update to the latest version of Gorilla Glass
  • add the normal upgrades in terms of hardware specs, etc.
  • add a stylus and digitizer for note taking to provide a true "phablet" experience rather than just a "really big phone" experience
  • optimize the OS for phablets (such as, figure out a way to do split screen, allow for tapping down to reach higher up apps, notifications, etc. when using one handed), again for a true "phablet" experience and work productivity.
  • keep the micro sd card or dramatically increase internal storage (3 - 4 times that of current)
  • alter micro sd and nano sim door to be one unit
  • More options on colors
  • Increased battery life (its great now of course, but if you alter the OS function and people start using it more for true work, it might require enhanced batter life as well)

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I just got the 1520 I ordered on ebay today which is coincidentally the same day my 920 contract is up. I didn't want to use my upgrade on a 1520, but did want to try one out.

So so far it's great. I do have a question, can I install games/apps to the sd card? The 16gb of internal storage is kind of jarring coming from 32.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I just got the 1520 I ordered on ebay today which is coincidentally the same day my 920 contract is up. I didn't want to use my upgrade on a 1520, but did want to try one out.

So so far it's great. I do have a question, can I install games/apps to the sd card? The 16gb of internal storage is kind of jarring coming from 32.

How is it? The big screen feels intimidating at first but you'll soon get used to it. 😉 As for games/apps, you can install at SD. Just go to settings and choose SD as the location for installing new apps. You can move also your existing apps from phone to SD by tapping the phone memory and choose the app/s you want to move.

xxfuzzyxx

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
1520 is tops. Had the icon for 10 days before I canceled Verizon and sent the phone back. Icons display was nice with bright whites but no glace screen was really annoying and the speaker was terrible and would completely mute if u set it on its back and no sd card. Mb just me but does any one notice on the icon the text blurring or streaking while scrolling it really bothered my eyes.

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
How is it? The big screen feels intimidating at first but you'll soon get used to it. 😉 As for games/apps, you can install at SD. Just go to settings and choose SD as the location for installing new apps. You can move also your existing apps from phone to SD by tapping the phone memory and choose the app/s you want to move.

I have pretty abnormally huge hands so screen/phone size is great for me. I'm loving it so far. It's like a 920 on roids. I have experienced the touch issue I've heard about a few times but nothing crazy.

Great news about apps on SD card. I searched and found an old thread that said it was not possible. I'm glad MS added the feature because 16gb is not enough for me.

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
What is this about?

I just ordered a 1520.3 and I am not looking to run into problems.

Sometimes it registers a swipe as a tap. I've read it happens to some devices but not all. I've just noticed it a few times in the hours I've used the phone today so its not really bothering me too much.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes it registers a swipe as a tap. I've read it happens to some devices but not all. I've just noticed it a few times in the hours I've used the phone today so its not really bothering me too much.

That sucks. How commonly reported by users is it? I hate to be that guy, but when I shell out that much money for a high end phone, I expect it to work flawlessly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99