1520 is still the best Windows Phone in the market

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
That sucks. How commonly reported by users is it? I hate to be that guy, but when I shell out that much money for a high end phone, I expect it to work flawlessly.

Honestly this has happened once or twice to me a every so often. I can count on my hand how many times in the year I had this issue happen to me. It's a pretty over exaggerated problem as MOST users don't have that issue.

Besides I'd take an oversensitive screen over the fact that a phone like the m8 resets.

downup

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 1520 had been on for 2 days 16h and still 33% left. Lots of music streaming and internet.

Bluetooth, position, Medium light and Wi-Fi on :) love it!!!!!
My Lumia 1020 before was dead after 16h.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I think I had the scroll/tap thing happen one time when I first got my 1520, but several updates later, the issue is non-existent. I think most people aren't affected by this.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The only problem with the 1520 is that because of its size its a niche product within a niche smartphone OS.
People keep saying that but this phone is not much bigger than a galaxy note or 6 plus which are obviously not niche products for their size. Nor do I consider windows phone a niche os. Despite the smaller market share, given its global sells around the world that is a mainstream os. Niche os would be Firefox or jolla

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
People keep saying that but this phone is not much bigger than a galaxy note or 6 plus which are obviously not niche products for their size. Nor do I consider windows phone a niche os. Despite the smaller market share, given its global sells around the world that is a mainstream os. Niche os would be Firefox or jolla
The Galaxy Note and iPhone 6 plus may not be niche relative to us Windows Phone users but compared to the standard iPhone 6 and Galaxy S5 sales figures they're are niche. The size doesn't work for the majority is all i'm saying, it's not a knock on the engineering or quality.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Galaxy Note and iPhone 6 plus may not be niche relative to us Windows Phone users but compared to the standard iPhone 6 and Galaxy S5 sales figures they're are niche. The size doesn't work for the majority is all i'm saying, it's not a knock on the engineering or quality.

My impression of the size issue; the vast majority of those who say 5.5" and larger screens are too big have not actually used one other than to pick one up for a moment at a phone sales display...

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
My impression of the size issue; the vast majority of those who say 5.5" and larger screens are too big have not actually used one other than to pick one up for a moment at a phone sales display...

Completely agree, one should try it first. I myself was not a fan of big screens before. But now, after using 1520 for a while, I can't see myself go back to smaller screens. But to each his own.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I think I had the scroll/tap thing happen one time when I first got my 1520, but several updates later, the issue is non-existent. I think most people aren't affected by this.

I hope you are right. There is an 18 page thread on it here and a 30+ on the Nokia forums about it. Its obviously not just an isolated incident that hardly anyone gets.

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 1520 had been on for 2 days 16h and still 33% left. Lots of music streaming and internet.

Bluetooth, position, Medium light and Wi-Fi on :) love it!!!!!
My Lumia 1020 before was dead after 16h.

Im actually a bit disappointed with my 1520's battery after using it for 2 days now. From everything I heard, I was expecting a lot better than what I'm getting. Maybe I need to adjust some settings but I was hoping I wouldn't have to micromanage the thing.

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I hope you are right. There is an 18 page thread on it here and a 30+ on the Nokia forums about it. Its obviously not just an isolated incident that hardly anyone gets.

I was really hesitant to buy a used 1520 because I thought it might suffer from this issue badly. I would say I experience it about 3-5x a day in the 2 days I've had the phone but it really hasn't bothered me too much. If it starts happening more frequently I might have a problem.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I was really hesitant to buy a used 1520 because I thought it might suffer from this issue badly. I would say I experience it about 3-5x a day in the 2 days I've had the phone but it really hasn't bothered me too much. If it starts happening more frequently I might have a problem.

That would drive me nuts.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site

Although I see what you're saying, but alot of people are concerned about a phone's one-hand usability. I have hands as big as an NFL QB so it's no problem for me, but for many it's just too large for one hand.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Agreed... But...

When I had a small, 2.6" HP Veer I used my phone two handed. IMHO, one handing a phone of any size is an invitation to dropping the phone. I hear a lot of users talking about pocketability. That has nothing to do with hand size and everything to do with wearing jeans.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Agreed... But...

When I had a small, 2.6" HP Veer I used my phone two handed. IMHO, one handing a phone of any size is an invitation to dropping the phone. I hear a lot of users talking about pocketability. That has nothing to do with hand size and everything to do with wearing jeans.
Sure it could increase the likelihood of a drop but there's a tradeoff between that risk and the added convenience of only having one hand free. The same could be said about phone cases, because they add a level of protection doesn't mean everyone wants a case on their phone. Everyone is different, but market indicators all tell us the 4.5 to 5 inch screens are preferable to most.

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm not so sure the market does indicate that as an ideal size any longer. I've spent quite a bit of time in crowded places for the past year or so and the use of Samsung's Note smartphones (and similar devices) have skyrocketed. Similar story with my 1520 which I got at launch, most people no longer question whether I'm an ***** for using such a large phone, instead they are interested in what it is, how much it cost and if it has _the_ app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb