My Nokia Lumia 1520 arrive!!! It is huge

Nakia Johnson1

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Today my Lumia 1520 arrive bought it off eBay. It is huge!!! My Lumia 920 feels small. All I need to do is get a nano sim and I am good to go. My device is black. Wow I have three devices in total all Lumia. Awesome ^_^.

Last edited:

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
welcome to the 1520 club. have one myself.
the "hugeness" will disappear shortly.
it will feel normal to have a 6" screen. took me about 2 hours.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Just ordered one myself, but a white version, not black. I got the 1520.3/RM-938 version so that I could be sure to have Qi while still working properly on ATT. When I tried on in the Windows store several months ago it felt way too big. I'm hoping that changes rapidly as suggested above.

SeattleSeahawks

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
After a little while you'll never want to go to a smaller phone EVER, this is such an amazing device, I have the red one and the gloss finish and build quality is amazing! Wouldn't trade this phone for anything

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
After a little while you'll never want to go to a smaller phone EVER, this is such an amazing device, I have the red one and the gloss finish and build quality is amazing! Wouldn't trade this phone for anything

I hope you are correct, and I imagine you probably will be. I really like Nokia's stuff and hope that MS is able to keep that build quality and design style going forward. I considered the M8 which is supposed to be out in just a few days, but I just really dig the way Nokia does things.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I hope you are correct, and I imagine you probably will be. I really like Nokia's stuff and hope that MS is able to keep that build quality and design style going forward. I considered the M8 which is supposed to be out in just a few days, but I just really dig the way Nokia does things.

You can't go wrong with a Nokia windows phone :) enjoy!

I adapted to it within a few hours and now anything less just feels...less lol

KeinoDoggy

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
After just a few days, I packed up my 1520 and sent it back. It was just too big for everyday, go anywhere use. My trusty 925 has the 8.1/Cyan update and is still a great all purpose phone. Stick with something more phone size and easy to one hand operate, unless you really need a huge screen and can live with carrying around something just shy of being a tablet.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Huge? After a while you get used to it and it looks smaller every day ;) looking forward to the first real 7" tablets with cellular functionality ;)

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I just received my 1520 today as well, coming from the 920. It still feels unusually big, but there are things I like about it right away. The width of the phone is enough that I am typing with my two thumbs much quicker and more accurately than I did with my 920.

Second, while the 920 was smaller, its weight made it hard to lie and use one handed, such as in bed, so the two handedness of the 1520 here doesn't seem like such a big deal.

Everything else about this phone is great. It is fast and the battery seems really good, even know I've been using it much more than is typical.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I just received my 1520 today as well, coming from the 920.

It seems that there are several of us coming from the 920 to the 1520. I think it is going to be a great phone for me, but I also think that the lack of a worthy flagship successor to the 920 is causing many to take a look at a phone they might not otherwise, even though it is a year old and out of the size range that many would naturally gravitate to.

KeinoDoggy

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
The 920 is much heavier and thicker than the 925. The 925 just feels right be used for one hand operation. The other concern I had with the 1520 was how to carry it. I bought a belt holster for it but it seemed ridiculous to carry something that big on your hip. I did not wish to carry it in my pocket due to the many reports here on the forums of guys experiencing screen sensitivity and unexplained sporadic phantom taps. Many are contributing this to a design flaw that occurs from the bending of the glass from carrying the 1520 in a pocket. At $500, it was not worth taking the chance.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, the year old part makes it sound much worse than it is. The M8 will release on at&t as a flagship tomorrow with the exact same processor. The snapdragon 800 is still a current, high end processor for a mobile phone. The size is the only "controversial" part of the decision for many people, but it is an experiment that many people are making. A 6 inch smartphone is now available for the first time in the 3 smartphone platforms, Android (where the phablet was born) has a bunch of choices, the iPhone 6+ and the 1520. I think a lot of people are buying one for the first time to see if it is something that they would like.

It is an appealing choice for us because our choices are somewhat limited. The 930 isn't offically available in the states, and I just got LTE coverage in my area, I wouldn't give it up for a handset, even if it had really good HSPA+. The M8 is a nice phone, but I know that I was a little uncomfortable with the idea of buying an HTC phone. It's probably fine, but I want a Nokia. I want the Nokia apps, I want the Nokia camera, and I want Qi charging.

Semi-related sidebar: While I'd suspect that the iphone 6 is outselling the 6+, probably by a large degree, I have personally not seen a single iphone 6, but I have seen three iphone 6+ handsets in the wild.

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Obviously there are situations for which the size of the 1520 might turn out to be a little bit problematic. But most of the time, especially when travelling, it's just a pleasure to read / work / be productive on the 6 inch screen.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
TI did not wish to carry it in my pocket due to the many reports here on the forums of guys experiencing screen sensitivity and unexplained sporadic phantom taps. Many are contributing this to a design flaw that occurs from the bending of the glass from carrying the 1520 in a pocket.

I dont believe in this. I have it too even thouh I have neve put the phone so that it could bend like that. Also my whole screen assembly was replaced in warranty, and the problem was still there. The whole thing is BS, its a software/driver issue Im sure.

jonahtrav

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I've looked at the 1520 a couple of times and having been waiting to see if Nokia/Microsoft will fix the screen sensitivity issues before I get one... It looks like I'll just keep using my 920. The 1520 looks like a great phone and many people don't have that problem, but from what I'm reading online many do.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Its not too bad and I have noticed also that the way you touch/swipe makes a difference. Not saying that the fix is what Apple would say "you're swiping it wrong, swipe it differently" and I do hope they will fix it with Denim....

l1520orAFK

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I dont believe in this. I have it too even thouh I have neve put the phone so that it could bend like that. Also my whole screen assembly was replaced in warranty, and the problem was still there. The whole thing is BS, its a software/driver issue Im sure.
As much as I hope its software related, it's probably isn't. I too had a screen replacement for a screen defect and the problem is still there. Maybe both screens had the problem or maybe there's another component causing it. Or maybe flex. Anyway someone on the other thread opened it up and pointed to possible grounding faults. If only ms could release a safe swipe,mode to check for a continuous touch in between the disconnections.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99